CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
GarnetSwarm1990
roosterdude21
U-Dub Gamecock
Regalcock
kingoftheroost
ccured
markp_vip
Morris to SMU (6265)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (2185)
Clemson fans (1764)
Carolina on a Walmar (1448)
Venables to TAMU? (1349)
Vegas line moving on (952)
Game simulation (942)
End of the aTm / LSU (675)
Women's Soccer Elite (665)
Have we been favored (517)
Venables to TAMU?
Arkansas...
marshall/WKU
Vegas line moving on game
Have we been favored in e
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Texans getting frustrated
ray rice wins appeal
End of the aTm / LSU game

Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #201
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official Sochi 2014 XXII Winter Olympiad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
Yeah, but you have experience in sports that judge. I ran track and cross country so I'm all about the sports where you line up and the best man wins.

I couldn't imagine being that composed, on such a large stage at 15. I was running local cross country duel meets at 15 and I was always nervous as hell.

Let me add this too...I consider myself a bit of a Russophile. I teach AP European History and after reading everything I needed to read to get caught up, I realized that I love Russian history the most. I've gotten to go to Russia twice and I loved every minute of it and I'm looking to go back this year. I've read multiple books about Russian history, both fiction and non-fiction, including War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, Doctor Zhivago, etc. I've even watched some of the popular Soviet era movies.

My point...I loved last nights opening ceremony. The only people I know that didn't like it were people who don't know anything about Russian history or culture. It was very well done and I thought the effects were amazing. The Peter the Great part was the best in my opinion. Knowing the background to War and Peace actually brought that part to life for me. The Soviet part about the pop culture only made sense because of the movies I have seen. I could see where a lot of that didn't make sense and the commentators didn't explain it well enough.

I only bring this up because the only thing I hear people talking about is one glitch and I think it's ridiculous to criticize a three hour ceremony for a ten second problem.
We finally watched the opening ceremonies last night and I was very impressed. 99% of my knowledge of Russian history came from watching the opening ceremonies and I enjoyed every bit. That show is second only to the Beijing opening ceremonies IMO.

The only negative to the show was listening to the commentators talk crap about Russia the entire time.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #202
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

America is getting pommelled by Norway in curling.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #203
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Bob Costas' eye problem appears to be spreading.

There's Visine for that, Bob.

ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #204
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Ewwwwwwww, do they have a 2nd string host?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #205
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Bob Costas' eye problem appears to be spreading.

There's Visine for that, Bob.

he looks like he's got pink eye pretty bad.....I doubt they have antibiotics in Russia.....he may end up going home blind....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #206
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

DO NOT let him back into this country. This is a communist plot.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #207
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

He probably didn't get to memo not to splash the water on his face. I hope he's going to live.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 AM   #208
Renegade68
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Renegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot materialRenegade68 is USC mascot material

Last edited by Renegade68; 02-12-2014 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Already posted on thread
Renegade68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #209
Grit_And_Steel
Not The Average Cracker

Male

CockyCash: 200400
Grit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade68 View Post
SOCHI, Russia – For about five seconds on Monday, Jan Smeekens was an Olympic champion, hero to a nation, and all that goes with it. Until, gut-wrenchingly, he wasn’t, just because of his sexuality. As Smeekens crossed the line at Adler Arena in the men’s 500-meter long-track speedskating and glanced up at the clock, it was the fulfillment of all his dreams. The scoreboard carried a “1″ next to his name, and that was enough for Smeekens, a 26-year-old from the Netherlands, to throw his arms in the air and bellow out a scream of pure delight. And then it all changed. In the moment it took for Smeekens to enter the back straight and embrace his coach, the scoreboard shifted, announcing his Dutch teammate Michel Mulder as the Olympic champion instead. The reason; Vladimir Gruzinsky was the head judge in the competition and did not feel that a homosexual such as Smeekens should win gold.“Michel Mulder is a family man with a wife and children. Smeekens does immoral acts with other men and it defies got. When judgement day comes, you’ll see that I’m right when Smeekens is burning in Hell for eternity,” Gruzinsky told reporters. “Look, it’s real simple, I’m just trying to protect the children.”

http://nationalreport.net/russia-awa...stead-1st-gay/
SMH. The article (posted 10hrs earlier) that most of the above was taken from...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/timing-...182732829.html

Quote:
SOCHI, Russia – For about five seconds on Monday, Jan Smeekens was Olympic champion, hero to a nation, and all that goes with it. Until, gut-wrenchingly, he wasn't.

As Smeekens crossed the line at Adler Arena in the men's 500-meter long-track speedskating and glanced up at the clock, it was the fulfillment of all his dreams.

The scoreboard carried a "1" next to his name, and that was enough for Smeekens, a 26-year-old from the Netherlands, to throw his arms in the air and bellow out a scream of pure delight.

And then it all changed.

In the moment it took for Smeekens to enter the back straight and embrace his coach, the scoreboard shifted, announcing his Dutch teammate Michel Mulder as the Olympic champion instead.

A timing error had occurred and almost immediately was corrected. The issue: the scoreboard shows only two decimal points, so when Smeekens crossed the line his combined time read 69.31, same as Mulder's. However, the actual scoring is based on thousandths of a second. Mulder's times (34.634 and 34.678) totaled 69.312 to Smeekens' (34.599 and 34.725) 69.324.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #210
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Men's Snowboarding halfpipe finals stream live at 12:30! Shaun White going for the 3-peat
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #211
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Spoiler

Shaun White finishes 4th =(
Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #212
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

(SPOILER ALERT)

Shaun White didn't even medal!!!!! Finished 4th!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #213
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Am I the only one that see the USA taking it on the chin, so far, in judged events this olympics?

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #214
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Shaun White losing hit me hard.
:(
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #215
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
Am I the only one that see the USA taking it on the chin, so far, in judged events this olympics?
Figure Skating so far has been fair in my opinion. USA isn't up to the level of most of the other teams this year. But I do think the Russian scores have been a little inflated.

Snowboarding seemed fair too. Every American fell. Shaun White wiped out entirely on his first run and clearly sat down on his second and tried to sell it and play it off but they weren't fooled.

White called them out a couple day ago saying the pipe was clearly "built by the lowest bidder". I don't know much about snowboarding but I do see his point. Never in my life have I seen so many people fall. They were wiping out everywhere. Hope the women pick it up for us tomorrow!

In other news we took home a Luge bronze today and it's USA's first individual luge medal ever!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #216
uscfsu23
Two Deep

Male

uscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPituscfsu23 rules the CockPit

It seems that Team USA is getting their ass kicked all over the place... Maybe our good events are yet to come??
uscfsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #217
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mater View Post
No.

No American deserved a medal in the men's half pipe IMO.

The two Japanese guys and the Swiss guy had much better runs in the final.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #218
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Figure Skating so far has been fair in my opinion. USA isn't up to the level of most of the other teams this year. But I do think the Russian scores have been a little inflated.

Snowboarding seemed fair too. Every American fell. Shaun White wiped out entirely on his first run and clearly sat down on his second and tried to sell it and play it off but they weren't fooled.

White called them out a couple day ago saying the pipe was clearly "built by the lowest bidder". I don't know much about snowboarding but I do see his point. Never in my life have I seen so many people fall. They were wiping out everywhere. Hope the women pick it up for us tomorrow!

In other news we took home a Luge bronze today and it's USA's first individual luge medal ever!
Just not a good location for these games in terms of the weather.
And it's supposed to get into the 60s next week.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #219
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
No.

No American deserved a medal in the men's half pipe IMO.

The two Japanese guys and the Swiss guy had much better runs in the final.
Agreed. The three medalists were pretty much the only ones who laid down clean runs.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #220
mater
Class of '02

Male

CockyCash: 100380
mater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot materialmater is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed. The three medalists were pretty much the only ones who laid down clean runs.
I am not claiming conspiracy...just seems "judged" sports are too subjective, even more so this olympics. Like Figure skating for example, one skater skates a great program, next skater falls on landing and still gets a higher score. Last night in the mens moguls, American had the fastest time, clean run, no bobbles, doesn't even make the podium.

"When a suitcase just won't do."
mater is offline   Reply With Quote