CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
spareparts
b381l
ertman420
usc1
Ericvol2096
SCohioBoy
sporkgod50
Ole Miss Projected R (796)
2001 vs Sandstorm (775)
Tennessee hires Donn (752)
Acock reviews the SE (655)
So who was the dude (636)
Sunday college footb (622)
Does anyone have a l (336)
Florida Georgia Line (257)
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (233)
Purple drank (203)
2001 vs Sandstorm
response from charter abo
Acock reviews the SEC Net
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
SEC Network "Take It
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2015 - D.J. Jones
Name a Gamecock
Get the SEC Network for y

Old 02-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #201
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Marcus Smart....What a Punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
Just watched it again and the biggest thing I just keep getting out of it is how big of a loser you have to be to be a 50+ year old grown man calling names to a basketball player during a game. I get that Smart needs to be held to certain standard but I also expect much more from an adult who has kids the age of Smart who he called a piece of crap publically. Just blows my mind that people are cool with saying whatever the hell they want at a sporting event because they paid a ticket and classify it as part of the experience.

I get it,but it's only going to get worse when he goes to the NBA.

I have access to 2nd row seats at Bobcats games. A few years back, a man who was in his 50's/60's yelled at Kobe while he was checking in at the scorers table- "don't rape anyone while you're in charlotte"

Bobcats fans are not known for being particularly rowdy so I'm betting there is worse stuff at other arenas.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #202
paynemd2
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
paynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I get it,but it's only going to get worse when he goes to the NBA.

I have access to 2nd row seats at Bobcats games. A few years back, a man who was in his 50's/60's yelled at Kobe while he was checking in at the scorers table- "don't rape anyone while you're in charlotte"

Bobcats fans are not known for being particularly rowdy so I'm betting there is worse stuff at other arenas.
Oh I know much worse things are said and I guess my biggest question is why is this acceptable at sporting events when it isnt anywhere else? If I go to a hibachi dinner and the cook doesn't catch the egg and it breaks all over the place I dont laugh and him and call him a piece of crap even though "I paid my hard earned money and am allowed to" it's just part of not being a crappy person. Does yelling obsenities or taunting players during a game somehow increase the pleasure of the fan experience? I just don't understand
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #203
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

The fan was being a dbag clearly... but the fact of the matter is that if Smart wants to have a successful basketball career, he has to have thicker skin than that. Fans aren't going to stop heckling.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #204
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97410000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Why would we need to state the obvious?
tolerance at its best!

sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #205
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Sure it does. Otherwise I'm pretty sure Smart would have made reference to it in his statement.

Moot point really since there was no racial slur. Fan called him a "piece of crap". Smart has been suspended for 3 games.
Or Smart was apologizing for his actions because regardless of what was said he should not have shoved the fan. I think the three games was fair, it's not like he jumped into the stands and started throwing punches.

Also, there is still no definitive proof of what was said by the fan. The reports of him saying "piece of crap" are coming from the fan himself and a video put together by the university in which the sound has been messed with. Someone definitely said "piece of crap", but the sound was isolated so something else could have easily been said as well. Considering that Texas Tech has promoted this guy in the past as their #1 fan, it would be in their best interests for him to come out looking as clean as possible, even if it isn't the truth.

^required reading in the South
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #206
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh I know much worse things are said and I guess my biggest question is why is this acceptable at sporting events when it isnt anywhere else? If I go to a hibachi dinner and the cook doesn't catch the egg and it breaks all over the place I dont laugh and him and call him a piece of crap even though "I paid my hard earned money and am allowed to" it's just part of not being a crappy person. Does yelling obsenities or taunting players during a game somehow increase the pleasure of the fan experience? I just don't understand
IDK man. I go to a fair amount of pro and college games and never go crazy. I yell and scream and bitch about the refs but have never "gone after" a player.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #207
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Oh i'm sure some would if they could...

...case in point
ha

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #208
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
For some it is part of entertainment value. Ever watch wrestling on TV? The other team are like the bad guys in wrestling? Why do the let fans boo at games? Why do they let fans cheer and make a lot of noise? You can't make a lot of noise at a restaurant. Different forums have different rules. It's just the way it is. He is not a the library. He is not at wedding ceremony in a church. He is not watching a movie in theater. And some people like to yell and curse you can think they are a crappy person, but some people might call you lame and pitiful and boring because you are so polite and proper all the time because you choose not exercise the full range of your right to free speech. Different strokes for different folks. You aren't going to like everyone and everyone is not going to like you. You can be pissed off and go berserk about it, you can whine about it and do nothing, you can't sit and stew about it, or you can just accept it and let is slide away. The the last 3 you always to do, but the first one will get you in trouble.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #209
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
IDK man. I go to a fair amount of pro and college games and never go crazy. I yell and scream and bitch about the refs but have never "gone after" a player.
What if Smart threw and elbow at one of our players? Would you think it okay to call him a piece of crap then? What about guys like Marshall Henderson and his antics? These players are not tender bunny rabbits that need to be protected form the mean nasty fans hurting their feelings.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #210
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

So I'm a little late to the discussion, but it appears Smart assaulted someone for "maybe" calling him a name. Even if the guy said all the stuff he's accused of and more, that's not an excuse. Also, it's Smart's word against the Orr guy...and we give Smart the benefit of the doubt, he who turned the altercation physical?

Regarding the "proof" of the fan's bad behavior, I didn't see the middle finger. He also stuck his tongue out. Was that really out of line during a free throw where they're trying to distract the shooter? Not a big bball fan, but it seems like if Smart lacks the maturity to handle his frustrations, he might also be someone who tries to turn this about race...just saying.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #211
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Why would we need to state the obvious?
The sad thing is, some people are so hellbent on arguing things they didn't even catch this was obvious sarcasm, I wish I didn't have to point out the obvious, but some lack rational thinking

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #212
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
What if Smart threw and elbow at one of our players? Would you think it okay to call him a piece of crap then? What about guys like Marshall Henderson and his antics? These players are not tender bunny rabbits that need to be protected form the mean nasty fans hurting their feelings.
Exactly there is a gif of Marshall Henderson taunting the crowd, should all those students and the old guy get kicked out for saying worse things than piece of crap....

for willy
GamecockUltimate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #213
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
The sad thing is, some people are so hellbent on arguing things they didn't even catch this was obvious sarcasm, I wish I didn't have to point out the obvious, but some lack rational thinking
the possibility that that statement was not taken seriously by a large percentage of the people reading this thread is minute.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #214
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Our COACH says worse things to our players than "piece of crap." And our players are perfectly fine with it and so am I. And he Martin have to apologize every once in a while but he is he still saying some things and will probably have to apologize again. It's not that big of deal unless you want to make it a big deal. Assault (putting your hands on a someone in a threatening manner) is a big deal because you can go to jail and lawsuits can ensue because of it. Because every one turned out okay it is not THAT big of a deal, but if someone got hurt it could there could be serious consequences so you can't let people cross that line.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #215
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
LOL...what rules? I am talking about common decency! Where are the written down? I am just saying that I have doubt that this pansy ass fan would not dare say those things to Smart's face if thousands of people were not around. I just do not get why people thing that because they are at a game, they get carte blanche to say what they want. If he had said that to Smart on the street, I think that the outcome would have been different.
What would happen on the street if he said it? He'd Smart would turn the other cheek? Or would he beat the guy to near bloody pulp and go to jail? If it's the later like you suggest, then I think that "douchebag" fan should be given a medal of honor for helping to get a violent person to lose the freedom he wasn't really worth of in the first place. I'd salute the guy. Because violent people are a way more serious societal problem than douchey people who really just an annoyance. And court in this land would agree.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #216
paynemd2
Recruit

Male

paynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
For some it is part of entertainment value. Ever watch wrestling on TV? The other team are like the bad guys in wrestling? Why do the let fans boo at games? Why do they let fans cheer and make a lot of noise? You can't make a lot of noise at a restaurant. Different forums have different rules. It's just the way it is. He is not a the library. He is not at wedding ceremony in a church. He is not watching a movie in theater. And some people like to yell and curse you can think they are a crappy person, but some people might call you lame and pitiful and boring because you are so polite and proper all the time because you choose not exercise the full range of your right to free speech. Different strokes for different folks. You aren't going to like everyone and everyone is not going to like you. You can be pissed off and go berserk about it, you can whine about it and do nothing, you can't sit and stew about it, or you can just accept it and let is slide away. The the last 3 you always to do, but the first one will get you in trouble.
I have no problem with cheering and yelling and being excited, be as loud as you want. Does not mean you have to talk about a players wife, or the health of their family members, or that their home was lost during hurricane Katrina (these are examples I have personally heard at sporting events). When/why are those ever acceptbale? I do have a problem with fans who come to a game and scream obscene things that have no business being said anywhere. My point is the old man fan has reportedly had a history of yelling inappropriate things at players. Would he ever say any of those things to those people outside 1 to 1? Probably not, it's the telephone/internet tough guy attitude. I paid $ so I can yell whatever I want and the players can't do anything about it. Encourage it all you want, but If you sit beside me at a basketball game yelling "f you" all night and stupid stuff to a player and he comes over and punches you out I'll stand up and applaud the player because you deserved it. I'll also support the organazation when the player gets suspended because you never touch a fan or go into the crawd. I don't love all of the things Frank Martin says to his players pubilcally but I also give him a little more freedom because he is their coach/ father figure, they have an established relationship. It's not an all or nothing scenario. You can be loud, scream, bang on the seats, disagree with calls, and boo, but the extreme/inappropriate comments are what I believe have no business in sports and for some reason people think it's ok
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #217
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Why is that the first place folks go when they don't know what they are talking about?
Because nobody on here knows what they are talking about either.

I don't know what I'm talking about, so don't take this personally.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #218
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Funny, I saw a guy today who was driving his truck and felt the guy in the car front of him was going too slow. He laid on the horn, and the guy gave him the one finger salute. After that he whipped around in front of him blocking him with his truck, got out, reached through the guys window and grabbed his shirt before being restrained by his friends from going any further.

Man, that guy that in the car has some REAL problems doesn't he?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #219
sporkgod50
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Funny, I saw a guy today who was driving his truck and felt the guy in the car front of him was going too slow. He laid on the horn, and the guy gave him the one finger salute. After that he whipped around in front of him blocking him with his truck, got out, reached through the guys window and grabbed his shirt before being restrained by his friends from going any further.

they both probably rightfully regret their actions.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #220
paynemd2
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post

Not really a great analogy considering "the guy in the car" was the instigator (old super fan).

A better one would be you are driving your car and a guy in a truck is tailgating you repeatedly and laughing with all of the other cars behind you. You stop for gas and he does too and at the pump beside you he is making inappropriate comments and you decide you've had enough and confront him and push him.

Both parties are at fault.

I'm not defending Smart, I'm more not defending the fan as he is equally at fault. Why do you guys expect the 20 year old player to have such self control when the 50 year old fan has none? I expect more from a 50 year old adult than I do a 20 year old adult