CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Spurticus
MWard
ertman420
usc90grad
Cunningham wants to (1207)
ESPN article on Clow (863)
Clemson Georgia Game (702)
New Led Zep releases (158)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (157)
Truly Inspiring (156)
2014 garnet and blac (100)
Chick Redefines the (80)
The Bama series (39)
2 tickets for USC vs (12)
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
SEC Network "Take It
PS4 headset advice
Spread vs. aTm
Mangus now coaching TEs
The Bama series
Acock reviews the SEC Net
Tennessee hires Donnie Ty
Clemson Georgia Game to b
ESPN article on Clowney -

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #41
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: C2 Presents: A 2014 Breakdown

Great write up man. I would've had us Overall at a B+, we're still a Top 15 class, but I understand that we are SEC weighted and there were several SEC classes ranked ahead of our's.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #42
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Can we bump this 4 years from now? That's the real tell, right??

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #43
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

So I have a question, some have hinted at this and others have come right out and said it. Was this our best class ever signed?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #44
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
So I have a question, some have hinted at this and others have come right out and said it. Was this our best class ever signed?
From the perspective of signing day as a whole, yes. We didn't have the Clowney or Lattimore this class, but it was one of the highest averages across the board. Though, who knows 4 years from now. I remember everyone raving about a WR class in 2007 that ended up being crap.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #45
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Nice breakdown. I was thinking we may see Ritchie at TE if we get most of the DL in this class in school and we get Blackshear and Rivers.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #46
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
In the days following the bowl games CFN had an article rerating the 2010 recruiting class based on how the players impacted the program after a full 4 year career.The headlines of the article were FSU #1 is no surprise,but see who the surprise #2 is.It was the Gamecocks.Specifically mentioned Shaw and several other major contributors.The key is talent evaluation.I think this staff is excellent at that.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #47
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMM View Post
From the perspective of signing day as a whole, yes. We didn't have the Clowney or Lattimore this class, but it was one of the highest averages across the board. Though, who knows 4 years from now. I remember everyone raving about a WR class in 2007 that ended up being crap.

Yeah, and given the size limitations and the spot on hits in the positions of need, I think one could make a strong argument that it is the best on signing day.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #48
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
The key is talent evaluation.I think this staff is excellent at that.
I agree. Certainly looks like some of our coaches are good at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMM View Post
Though, who knows 4 years from now. I remember everyone raving about a WR class in 2007 that ended up being crap.
I remember that all too well and learned a lot from it since that was probably the first class I ever tracked up until signing day. We missed on a lot of guys in that class.

It's clear to me that some of the coaches we have now are much better at this than some of the coaches we had in '06-'07. And maybe in all fairness, we can be more picky about which 3 and 4 star guys we go after.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #49
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
In the days following the bowl games CFN had an article rerating the 2010 recruiting class based on how the players impacted the program after a full 4 year career.The headlines of the article were FSU #1 is no surprise,but see who the surprise #2 is.It was the Gamecocks.Specifically mentioned Shaw and several other major contributors.The key is talent evaluation.I think this staff is excellent at that.
Do you know where that one is? Can't find a link.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #50
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do you know where that one is? Can't find a link.
For some reason it's not coming up and I had to get the cached version and text only. It was an SI article from February last year. Here's a few paragraphs from it:

Quote:
As I watched Ole Miss coaches celebrate the signatures from members of a historic class on National Signing Day, I couldn't help but think of other War Rooms in other years.

In 2008, how heartily did Alabama coaches celebrate the signatures of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram and Barrett Jones? Did they know they had poured the foundation for three national titles? Did they have any inkling when Barrett Jones' National Letter of Intent rolled off the fax machines that he would win a ring at three different positions? Or did they lament the players who spurned them for other schools?

What about Tennessee in 2009? Lane Kiffin had flipped some sought-after players close to National Signing Day, and Volunteers coaches knew they had a great chance to land tailback Bryce Brown, the nation's No. 1 recruit. The future looked so bright in Knoxville. A departure (Kiffin) and a firing (Derek Dooley) later, Butch Jones spent the first month of 2013 scrambling to put together his first Tennessee class.

Those Ole Miss coaches looked so happy, but they don't know what the future holds for Robert Nkemdiche, Laremy Tunsil and the rest. Recruiting stars don't guarantee success, though they are a fair predictor. In reality, it will be up to those coaches to determine how this recruiting class is judged in the long term.

Today, as we have for each of the past four years, we'll re-rank three-year-old classes to see which staffs really hit and which ones really missed. As with real-time recruiting rankings, the criteria are somewhat murky. The best way I can describe them is that a class that produces impact players for a successful team will earn the highest rankings. Basically, these re-rankings honor the coaches who develop talent instead of the ones who simply collect it.

In past years, most of these choices were fairly cut-and-dried. We could quibble over placement, but most would choose the same set of teams. But 2010 included one extremely odd recruiting class. Some of you will agree with me, while some of you will have perfectly reasonable arguments against its inclusion on this list. Here's a hint: It went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in record time.

1. Texas A&M

Original Rivals rank: 17
Record since 2010: 27-12
BCS bowl appearances: 0
Big 12/SEC titles: 0
National titles: 0

2012 starters: OG Jarvis Harrison, TE Nehemia Hicks, OT Luke Joeckel, WR Malcome Kennedy, RB Ben Malena, OT Jake Matthews, DE Damontre Moore, OG Cedric Ogbuehi

Four-fifths of one of the nation's best offensive lines came from this class. Two potential top-five picks in the 2013 NFL draft (Joeckel and Moore) came from this class. Much of the support system that helped Johnny Manziel win the Heisman Trophy came from this class. What does that mean, given the fact that the Aggies' record since 2010 is much worse than some of the other programs on this list? It means Mike Sherman and his staff recruited some talent, but they didn't coach it very well. The Aggies needed Kevin Sumlin to unlock the potential already on the roster. For those Aggies who suffered through the Sherman era, this should be even more infuriating than the second half of the 2011 Oklahoma State game.

2. South Carolina

Original Rivals rank: 24
Record since 2010: 31-9
BCS bowl appearances: 0
SEC titles: 0
National titles: 0

2012 starters: OG A.J. Cann, CB Victor Hampton, DT Byron Jerideau, RB Marcus Lattimore, OL Ronald Patrick, DT Kelcy Quarles, OL Corey Robinson, WR Ace Sanders, QB Connor Shaw, QB Dylan Thompson, S Brison Williams

Here's a trivia question: Can you name the only programs in the BCS AQ conferences to win at least 11 games in each of the past two seasons? Alabama, Oregon and Stanford are the easy answers. The fourth? The Mighty Gamecocks. Had you answered that correctly late last month, Uncle Steve Spurrier might have handed you an envelope containing an $100 bill. This class played a big role in those wins. Lattimore helped raise South Carolina to another level, while Shaw and Thompson have each proven themselves capable quarterbacks. Sanders has developed into a dangerous weapon in the slot and on punt returns. This past Wednesday, Spurrier fired a shot at recruiting rankings in general. "I'm not saying it's not important," Spurrier said, "but we'd rather make our noise out in Williams-Brice on gameday." This group has been awfully loud.
They do this every year. If they do it again, it should be coming out any day now for the 2011 class.
GarnetInChicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #51
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I agree. Certainly looks like some of our coaches are good at this.
I remember that all too well and learned a lot from it since that was probably the first class I ever tracked up until signing day. We missed on a lot of guys in that class.

It's clear to me that some of the coaches we have now are much better at this than some of the coaches we had in '06-'07. And maybe in all fairness, we can be more picky about which 3 and 4 star guys we go after.
I feel like skill players are systematically overrated because there are tons of teams that have their best player at QB and he converts to another position in college (like bruce and Kmac, etc…), but the guys playing wideout didn't have to be knocked down the rankings by his badassity. So give me line-heavy highly rated classes and I will be happy.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #52
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
For some reason it's not coming up and I had to get the cached version and text only. It was an SI article from February last year. Here's a few paragraphs from it:

They do this every year. If they do it again, it should be coming out any day now for the 2011 class.
Thanks for finding that.I couldn't locate it either.Correction Texas A&M not FSU #1.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #53
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I feel like skill players are systematically overrated....
Think about this....3 guys from the '07 WR group...Lecorn, Barnes, and Hills....5.9, 5.8, & 5.8 Rivals ratings. Alson was also a 5.9.
We all know Dion Lecorn got hurt, but he was no Alshon. None of those 3 come close to being an Alshon.

And we technically didn't recruit Bruce....he could be considered a walk-on that we gave a scholly to. Compare Bruce to those guys from '07.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #54
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

I just hope a lot of the borderline guys qualify. This is one of our best classes ever Imop.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #55
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 600
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

c2 Thanks for your work. We don't get any follow up here in the upstate, so it is really appreciated.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #56
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I agree on the OT situation. It is the one problem with this class. If Shell bolts for the NFL after this year we are in big trouble potentially. Gibson, Robinson and Shell would be gone. Who knows if Matulis can get healthy. All we would have left would be Zandi. Scary thin there and we'd have to move Guards like Park and Rodgers to Tackle.

I think we may have no choice but to bring in a JUCO OT next year.

And yea it will suck if Wideman, Sawyer, and Ritchie can't get in school.
Rodgers was recruited as a Tackle and could be a fine LT imo. I also believe Stanley has the tools to be a very good RT. He needs to reshape slightly but that will happen this year. IF Matulis can get healthy I think he can play in the NFL. I would not be surprised to see a healthy Matulis beat out Robinson this year. Also Zandi is a wild card. Elliott loves him and he is athletic and massive. Gibson is a career backup and no more.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #57
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
let's see who makes it in first......could be. I think it's the most 4* and highest % of 4*
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #58
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Rodgers was recruited as a Tackle and could be a fine LT imo. I also believe Stanley has the tools to be a very good RT. He needs to reshape slightly but that will happen this year. IF Matulis can get healthy I think he can play in the NFL. I would not be surprised to see a healthy Matulis beat out Robinson this year. Also Zandi is a wild card. Elliott loves him and he is athletic and massive. Gibson is a career backup and no more.
Are Matulis' shoulders OK now....and will he participate fully this spring.
We've had way too many OL with shoulder problems.....do you think it's a technique issue having their arms too extended.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #59
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Are Matulis' shoulders OK now....and will he participate fully this spring.
We've had way too many OL with shoulder problems.....do you think it's a technique issue having their arms too extended.
I think some guys just have bad luck. I guess their is some truth to keep the arms short and don't fully extend but with both shoulders going threw the same surgery it could be just a weak point of muscle for Matulis. He is supposed to be healthy now so I assume he will participate in Spring Practice. If I am not mistaken Matulis may be a candidate for a 6th year down the road.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #60
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Think about this....3 guys from the '07 WR group...Lecorn, Barnes, and Hills....5.9, 5.8, & 5.8 Rivals ratings. Alson was also a 5.9.
We all know Dion Lecorn got hurt, but he was no Alshon. None of those 3 come close to being an Alshon.

And we technically didn't recruit Bruce....he could be considered a walk-on that we gave a scholly to. Compare Bruce to those guys from '07.
Hills did well elsewhere, I just don't think he fit in at Carolina. To this day I don't understand Barnes other than to say some guys are better in practice and some are better in the game.