CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
rosstheboss
markymark550
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
kabercr2
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2688)
clemson game time: N (2269)
The Defense (1781)
**USC Women vs. San (1778)
Women's soccer Sweet (1461)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (948)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (832)
injury report? (617)
In case no one saw.. (605)
USC/clemson spread (561)
Drew Owens missing?
Odell Becham Catch
For Discussing The Clemso
2014 Charleston Classic:
USC/clemson spread
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Tiger Burn
The Defense

Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Conner Shaw had to love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
it wasnt just him not turning the ball over. him extending plays to get them scores to push that lead from 2 to 5 to 8 to 15 and then the defense and special teams broke denver's back with the next two touchdowns.

its similar to the way i dont think connor is just a game manager either. connor makes way too many plays on his own to be just labeled a game manager.
I agree, I also forgot about his scramble for the first down on the 2nd drive of the game I believe. Where the play was challenged on the spot of the ball. I still believe he had the first down, and I am not even a seahawks fan.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #22
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
..him extending plays...
Agree and very similar roles. Extend plays, make the D work for their plays, don't turn it over and don't take sacks. It's not as exciting as a shoot out, but a win is a win. Looks a lot like our '11 or '12 teams.

Seattle had more time of possession and while they initially didn't score a lot of points, those drives were impacting the Bronco's offense by keeping them off the field and out of sync.They may never win another SB with that formula, but they are World Champs for the next 12 months.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #23
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw has no comparison to a NFL QB. This doesn't mean he cannot compete at the NFL level, I'm just saying he has no true-comparison in the league right now. I think he'll get drafted, but he could definitely use some improvement in his throwing area's (strength especially). Arm strength is overlooked by some, and underlooked by others. But having arm strength to zip balls to receivers is key in the league.

I hope he does well in the combine, and gets drafted, and the ultimate goal would be to see him play on Sundays. But I'm not tossing it up as a guarantee by any means. He compares in size, and speed to some QB's in the league, but nearly every QB in the league showcased their arm strength while they were in College. Shaw was in an offense where he never really had to do that. We also had a good run game and defense to keep us in games to where we didn't need to throw a ton. Can he do it? Sure he can, but that's something he has to prove at the combine. Best of luck to him. But the comparisons to Russell Wilson, and others aren't the greatest. It's a stretch. No harm, no foul I guess but I don't agree with them.

Good thing for Shaw is the fact that Russell Wilson proved you don't need a dominating QB to win a SB. A QB who makes good decisions, takes care of the ball, and keeps drives alive has won a SB now. GM's take notice, I hope.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1234
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Let's just be honest here, they won that game because their defense played incredibly. Russell had a good game by not turning the ball over, but their defense is the reason they won.
Sounds about like us....
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #25
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Connor Shaw has no comparison to a NFL QB. This doesn't mean he cannot compete at the NFL level, I'm just saying he has no true-comparison in the league right now. I think he'll get drafted, but he could definitely use some improvement in his throwing area's (strength especially). Arm strength is overlooked by some, and underlooked by others. But having arm strength to zip balls to receivers is key in the league.

I hope he does well in the combine, and gets drafted, and the ultimate goal would be to see him play on Sundays. But I'm not tossing it up as a guarantee by any means. He compares in size, and speed to some QB's in the league, but nearly every QB in the league showcased their arm strength while they were in College. Shaw was in an offense where he never really had to do that. We also had a good run game and defense to keep us in games to where we didn't need to throw a ton. Can he do it? Sure he can, but that's something he has to prove at the combine. Best of luck to him. But the comparisons to Russell Wilson, and others aren't the greatest. It's a stretch. No harm, no foul I guess but I don't agree with them.

Good thing for Shaw is the fact that Russell Wilson proved you don't need a dominating QB to win a SB. A QB who makes good decisions, takes care of the ball, and keeps drives alive has won a SB now. GM's take notice, I hope.
there is almost no comparison to be made between Russell and Conner. I hope he gets drafted. He has a lot of good qualities, the best is he showed improvement each year. But he still struggled with reads and throwing on time. I would love for Gruden to put him on his QB show.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #26
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
there is almost no comparison to be made between Russell and Conner. I hope he gets drafted. He has a lot of good qualities, the best is he showed improvement each year. But he still struggled with reads and throwing on time. I would love for Gruden to put him on his QB show.

Shaw struggled with his reads so much that he threw 1 pick this year.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #27
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

My favorite cock of all time HAS to be Conner.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #28
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

ugh....

O
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Conner may NOT want to be drafted. He then could somewhat choose a team with his type of skill set and come in as a FA. He may have a better chance to make a team by not being drafted. The knock on him is arm strength, he will do great in the interview, that is where Wilson shined as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #30
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
ugh....

O
I'm just swinging my troll hammer is all..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #31
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I still wonder if the bigger nfl ball will be more difficult for him to throw then the one he got to pick in college.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #32
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Let's just be honest here, they won that game because their defense played incredibly. Russell had a good game by not turning the ball over, but their defense is the reason they won.
as the saying goes...defense wins championships.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #33
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
I still wonder if the bigger nfl ball will be more difficult for him to throw then the one he got to pick in college.
I'm sure it will. Garcia used a Wilson 1001 his final two year which is the closet thing to the NFL ball for the college level, and Shaw still used GST's (Wilson 1003's). They even switched them mid game in Shaw went in for Garcia.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #34
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I am glad he is coming in at a time when the NFL seems more open to small quarterbacks.