CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
b381l
StormOfTalons
18IsTheMan
bigdog2003
GSC2013
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
The Yancey
Do we have any shot (2585)
Carolina opens -15.5 (1884)
What changes can and (1432)
(50 minute Replay) U (1353)
Shaw: Check Out This (1296)
Don't tell me we don (1222)
Gamecocks claimed an (1128)
Gamecock football Lo (1065)
SOS Teleconference (970)
Tanner McEvoy should (941)
who thinks we need a whol
Pirate Depth Chart
SOS Teleconference
Do we have any shot again
Gamecock football Long Te
Connor Shaw Browns
Mike Davis "doubtful
Carolina opens -15.5
MLS almost ready for play
Japanese High School Base

Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #221
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: Marcus Smart....What a Punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post

I don't know what I'm talking about, so don't take this personally.

You certainly have proven that assuming that I took something off of here personally.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #222
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I have no problem with cheering and yelling and being excited, be as loud as you want. Does not mean you have to talk about a players wife, or the health of their family members, or that their home was lost during hurricane Katrina (these are examples I have personally heard at sporting events). When/why are those ever acceptbale? I do have a problem with fans who come to a game and scream obscene things that have no business being said anywhere. My point is the old man fan has reportedly had a history of yelling inappropriate things at players. Would he ever say any of those things to those people outside 1 to 1? Probably not, it's the telephone/internet tough guy attitude. I paid $ so I can yell whatever I want and the players can't do anything about it. Encourage it all you want, but If you sit beside me at a basketball game yelling "f you" all night and stupid stuff to a player and he comes over and punches you out I'll stand up and applaud the player because you deserved it. I'll also support the organazation when the player gets suspended because you never touch a fan or go into the crawd. I don't love all of the things Frank Martin says to his players pubilcally but I also give him a little more freedom because he is their coach/ father figure, they have an established relationship. It's not an all or nothing scenario. You can be loud, scream, bang on the seats, disagree with calls, and boo, but the extreme/inappropriate comments are what I believe have no business in sports and for some reason people think it's ok
I don't think those things are acceptable. I never said there wasn't line on what you can say or can't say. That is definitely beyond the line. I just don't think what this guy has done has crossed that line. He's just come up to the line. Sometimes people get away with things they shouldn't because it's difficult to regulate or even prove. But trying to hold one guy responsible because he said something that wasn't very nice and a player lost his temper and pushed the guy is ridiculous. It's like people are hating the guy because he is was the victim. If Smart ignored him, like he SHOULD HAVE, no one would even care about him. It's just making an excuse for Smart. It's the right of fans to be rowdy and obnoxious, up to a point. I think it is part of what makes sports interesting and entertaining. To me is seems there is a lack of concern regarding the seriousness of violence by some people. These people seem the a fans saying obnoxious and insulting things is a bigger deal. That is worrying to me. People are saying he deserved violent retribution for being annoying. I don't know what era they are from to believe that. The medieval era maybe. It's pretty scary people think that way.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #223
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not really a great analogy considering "the guy in the car" was the instigator (old super fan).

A better one would be you are driving your car and a guy in a truck is tailgating you repeatedly and laughing with all of the other cars behind you. You stop for gas and he does too and at the pump beside you he is making inappropriate comments and you decide you've had enough and confront him and push him.

Both parties are at fault.

I'm not defending Smart, I'm more not defending the fan as he is equally at fault. Why do you guys expect the 20 year old player to have such self control when the 50 year old fan has none? I expect more from a 50 year old adult than I do a 20 year old adult
No, it's 100% the pusher's fault. He could confront the guy without pushing him. He CHOSE to push the guy. And as for the fan lacking self control. I can't agree with that either because he IS in control. He is saying exactly what he wants to say and is in his right to say. Smart may not like it, you may not like it, but it doesn't matter. People are allowed to say some things that people may not like. They are allowed to voice their opinions. Some things off limits, but some things are just regular "heckling" and is part of the game.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #224
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
they both probably rightfully regret their actions.
If I was the guy in the car, I would still be cussing him out.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #225
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Just watched it again and the biggest thing I just keep getting out of it is how big of a loser you have to be to be a 50+ year old grown man calling names to a basketball player during a game. I get that Smart needs to be held to certain standard but I also expect much more from an adult who has kids the age of Smart who he called a piece of crap publically. Just blows my mind that people are cool with saying whatever the hell they want at a sporting event because they paid a ticket and classify it as part of the experience.
Now you're just hating on old people. If young people screw up it's okay because they are young and expected to be punks. If an old people is not the nicest guy in the world there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with him. Um, no, he is just your everyday blowhard who has nothing better to do in boring Lubbock Texas, and is not really thrilled by the idea of collecting coins and stamps and making model boats and falling alseep after watching Jeopardy and eating their Jelo.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #226
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Now you're just hating on old people. If young people screw up it's okay because they are young and expected to be punks. If an old people is not the nicest guy in the world there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with him. Um, no, he is just your everyday blowhard who has nothing better to do in boring Lubbock Texas, and is not really thrilled by the idea of collecting coins and stamps and making model boats and falling alseep after watching Jeopardy and eating their Jelo.
Not saying it's okay for a young person to screw up, it's just expected more often from a young person than an experienced older person. I'm not referring to this particular incident as much as I am how this happens at sporting events in general. I'm in no way condoning violence against anyone, but if your son was a player being verbally abused at a game by a grown man your own age(crossing the line version) and your son punched the fan you would rightfully be upset with him and punish him for what he did, but would you not also be upset and put some of the onus on the older adult for instigating the incident? Sure it sounds nice to say walk away but every human has their limits and some of the things said sometimes would cross those limits for me. I do not condone violence but I would not be surprised if this does happen again and possibly with punches and when are we going to put some of the responsibility on the fans?

Also, this particular kid has acted out a few times this year now, where is the coach? I would be embarrassed as a coach too as he is responsible for his players. Apparently Smart feels he can act however he wants and that reflects on his head coach.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #227
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
No, it's 100% the pusher's fault. He could confront the guy without pushing him. He CHOSE to push the guy. And as for the fan lacking self control. I can't agree with that either because he IS in control. He is saying exactly what he wants to say and is in his right to say. Smart may not like it, you may not like it, but it doesn't matter. People are allowed to say some things that people may not like. They are allowed to voice their opinions. Some things off limits, but some things are just regular "heckling" and is part of the game.
This guy has a history of this. Dick Vitale tweeted after the game that the "Guy involved in the Smart situation is NOT a fan HE IS classless" Many other former OSU players came out and said the guy had said some of the most awful things to them they have ever heard at a game. Basically Jeff Orr has a terrible reputation for acting like a moron at games. Like he gets off on yelling at 18-22 year olds at basketball games. It was likely a matter of time before something like this happened. Again I don't condone violence but if you shoot off a racial slur, throw a beer, say something about a players family, or something to that level at a sporting event then you shouldn't be surprised if they retaliate. Players are tired of enduring all of that over the top hateful behavior and they shouldn't have to.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #228
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If I was the guy in the car, I would still be cussing him out.
I guess some of us never grow up. oh well.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #229
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
This guy has a history of this. Dick Vitale tweeted after the game that the "Guy involved in the Smart situation is NOT a fan HE IS classless" Many other former OSU players came out and said the guy had said some of the most awful things to them they have ever heard at a game. Basically Jeff Orr has a terrible reputation for acting like a moron at games. Like he gets off on yelling at 18-22 year olds at basketball games. It was likely a matter of time before something like this happened. Again I don't condone violence but if you shoot off a racial slur, throw a beer, say something about a players family, or something to that level at a sporting event then you shouldn't be surprised if they retaliate. Players are tired of enduring all of that over the top hateful behavior and they shouldn't have to.
I don't see how one guy out of 5-10 thousand can be that band in a roofed in arena. I get he is low to the floor but still, a lot of people are covering for this kid, just play 40 minutes of basketball and you won't see him again

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #230
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
I don't see how one guy out of 5-10 thousand can be that band in a roofed in arena.
maybe this will help you picture how one man can form a band...jk

Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #231
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

In a completely related topic, I have an ad for singlemuslim.com on Cockytalk. Don't even bother asking why it is an ad on my screen.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #232
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

I like Jello. Especially in shots
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #233
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
In a completely related topic, I have an ad for singlemuslim.com on Cockytalk. Don't even bother asking why it is an ad on my screen.
I have one for elevator shoes
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #234
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'm betting that fan said something completely over the line to Smart.
Doesn't excuse Smart's behavior, but I think some people need to assign blame to both parties.

The fan should not have said what he said (don't know why fans think they have a right to say whatever they want and not get socked by an athlete at times), and Smart should have controlled his emotions better.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #235
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Like what? Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. So the guy is not classy at a sporting event. Who gives a damn? So are about 100 other fans every game, so are a lot of players. To me Orr was upset with Smarts reckless and dangerous play he felt was unnecessary at the end of the game. I understand why he would call Smart a piece of crap because I am inclined to agree that he is a piece of crap, and he proven Orr right.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #236
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I guess some of us never grow up. oh well.
Whatever man, no cares about your personal feelings towards loud and obnoxious people. People are going to say what they want there isn't anything you can do about it. TT can kick Orr out of the building or make him move but they won't because he's paying them a lot of money and that is a lot more important to them than him acting like a jerk. The most they will do ask him nicely to calm down.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #237
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

You cared enough to reply and that's enough for me sweet cheeks!

Quote:
Whatever man, no cares about your personal feelings towards loud and obnoxious people. People are going to say what they want there isn't anything you can do about it. TT can kick Orr out of the building or make him move but they won't because he's paying them a lot of money and that is a lot more important to them than him acting like a jerk. The most they will do ask him nicely to calm down.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #238
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'm betting that fan said something completely over the line to Smart.
Doesn't excuse Smart's behavior, but I think some people need to assign blame to both parties.

The fan should not have said what he said (don't know why fans think they have a right to say whatever they want and not get socked by an athlete at times), and Smart should have controlled his emotions better.
He called him a "piece of crap" it was catch on audio. He was displeased with Smart's play and voiced his displeasure. It happens. It's not a real issue unless you chose to not let it go.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #239
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Like what? Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. So the guy is not classy at a sporting event. Who gives a damn? So are about 100 other fans every game, so are a lot of players. To me Orr was upset with Smarts reckless and dangerous play he felt was unnecessary at the end of the game. I understand why he would call Smart a piece of crap because I am inclined to agree that he is a piece of crap, and he proven Orr right.
ok people should just keep going to sporting events and keep yelling obsenities at players. I mean they paid $20 for a ticket right? That means they get a free pass to scream anything at them with no consequences. I mean they aren't human beings. Treat them like the dirt they are. You are above them.

If you wouldn't say it to their face privately outside of a sporting event you shouldn't scream it during a game in public like a coward
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #240
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
You cared enough to reply and that's enough for me sweet cheeks!
I care to see you get help coping with your problems you have with people who say and do things you don't like. I wouldn't want to see you or others suffer because of your problem.