CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
GamecockSuperFan
DTGCOCKS#32
KaneisAble
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
The Yancey
Pw00132
Captain9Dragons
HBC Weekly Presser (1163)
Thompson Has Neck In (1060)
400 pasing yards (1033)
Funny? (1010)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (606)
What fish do you eat (558)
KY Suspends 4 Player (501)
Clowney didnt get ma (408)
4th & 1 Play (326)
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
HBC Weekly Presser
Thompson Has Neck Injury
QB Recruiting Strategy
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Thoughts on the basketbal

Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #41
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qock View Post
BAW will lead the team in sacks next year
He may not even get enough meaningful playing time next year to lead the team in anything, much less sacks.

Not a slam on the kid at all, but come on...he's 16 or 17, and hasn't even broke a sweat in our conditioning program yet...much less participate in practice.

He'll have the chance to be a great one, but don't etch his name on the Butkus Award when he hasn't even been to his Senior Prom yet.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #42
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I think Ward sticks with the Spur position especially with all the spread offenses.

Definitely a strength of our team this year.

WLB - Skai, Roberts, BAW
MLB - Lewis, Holloman, Walton
Spur - Golightly, Bryant, Diggs

Maybe but there is talk of changes on D.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitecock View Post
I expect Abu to contribute early and often. I just hope we can continue to redshirt most of our incoming talent. Unless of course the player makes the coaches play him by being great. I just prefer not depending on true freshman. At least corner transitions a little easier from hs to college than a lot of positions since we're going to be relying on a couple this year! It doesn't hurt that they're all really good to begin with either. All in all I'm a happy man tonight.
That's the catch isn't it? Ideally, you would like to have the depth that you can red shirt your freshman to give them a year of strength/conditioning/nutrition, and to learn the system. However, more and more recruits do not want to red shirt, preferring early playing time, as they all think they will be in the NFL in 3 years. We lost recruits this year because of our depth at certain positions (RB for example). And I think it's only going to get worse going forward. As others have noted, there are only a couple of programs like an Alabama or LSU, that kids are willing to redshirt in order to play with them. It's a tough conundrum, SC has finally reached a position where it has some good depth, and it may hurt recruiting going forward.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Legion of Pow??
legion of smack

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #45
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I think Ward sticks with the Spur position especially with all the spread offenses.

Definitely a strength of our team this year.

WLB - Skai, Roberts, BAW
MLB - Lewis, Holloman, Walton
Spur - Golightly, Bryant, Diggs

I would put BAW ahead of Roberts. Not bashing Roberts, but he seemed to struggle often last year.

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #46
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
legion of smack

How about, Legion of Goon! Goon squad!

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #47
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
How about, Legion of Goon! Goon squad!

This
Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #48
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
I'm guessing that the following will redshirt:

Donell Stanley
Terry Googer
Darin Smalls
Malik Young
Al Harris
Kalan Ritchie
Taylor Stallworth
Tyshun Samuel
Michael Scarnecchia
Blake McClain

Some playing time:

Abu Lamin
DJ Smith
Kevin Crosby
Shaquille Davidson
Jhaustin Thomas

A lot of playing time (2-deep)

Bryson Allen Williams
Dante Sawyer
Wesley Green
Chris Lammons
Dexter Wideman
Joe Blue
1. I think Joe Blue gets redshirted.
2. Tyshawn Samuel will likely get playing time. Watch out for this kid. He sort of fits into the Pharoah Cooper mold. I suspect he'll be more polished than Shaq Davidson.
3. Lamin will crack the two deep by fall.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
qock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
qock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
He may not even get enough meaningful playing time next year to lead the team in anything, much less sacks.

Not a slam on the kid at all, but come on...he's 16 or 17, and hasn't even broke a sweat in our conditioning program yet...much less participate in practice.

He'll have the chance to be a great one, but don't etch his name on the Butkus Award when he hasn't even been to his Senior Prom yet.
The problem is, we don't really have a premium pass rusher on the team anymore. That area is going to be an MAJOR issue for us at least early next season. It's more of a testament of who we lose and the lack of players we have to replace them. Our talent at DE is going to drop off a cliff, and BAW is already an advanced pass rusher and has more raw ability to get the QB than anyone else on our roster at the moment unless Wideman or Sawyer make it in. Given those factors and his widely reported work ethic (second to none), I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

As for his actual position at LB, I think he'll gradually earn more playing time and work his way on the two-deep. It'll be tough for him to log a lot of playing time given our talent there. His immediate impact will come with his hand down in situations where the QB needs to be pressured.
qock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #50
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
I guess its ok now to discuss these rookies here now, since they are no longer recruits but signees.

So, we have Wideman, Lamin and the Blake kid all coming in at DL. Which one has the best immediate impact? Lamin is a JUCO obviously, so he may start. Word on Wideman is he's game ready right now.

DB. We got a couple great ones. Lammons and Green are 4-star, and may need to start immediately. Concerns?

And we landed a stud at LB, with Bryson Allen-Williams. He along with Skai Moore are gonna be terrifying for opponents!!!

I think this defense is shaping up to be a monster. It can be really good this year. But my goodness, 2015??? USC's D is gonna be top 5 in the nation by then. And, seems most of these new guys have great attitudes, humble, hard working. The kind of guys who show up as 3/4 star recruits, and put in 110% every single day and become 1st rounders.

The staff really wrapped up some good ones, where do you all think they fit into this team and on the field? They're officially Gamecocks. Time to start putting the pieces together for 2014.
You forgot to mention the best player on D line Dante Sawyer, who will likely start over English along side Dixon. Next year we will see Blackshear start probably 2nd or 3rd game in much like Clowney, only he was behind Ingram. In the next 2 years you guys will see one of the best D lines we have ever had at SC. I say that because we will then have big bookends like in 2012, only I believe our tackles will be better overall. I see Wideman growing to that position, and Griffin is a beast, look for him to have a big year this year and next. DB's will grow, they all must trust each other, and with a field general like BAW running the show, our defense will be right back up in the top 10 overall. Everyone is fast and lean, once in the fold and the system, they will grow. We all saw that this year. Our defense will be a turnover factory, my biggest concern is who replaces Golightly? I feel like Skai is a perfect spur, but if BAW comes in blazing he may get the spot.

We have GOT to tighten up special teams and get someone who can punt the damn ball further than 35 yards. we will not contend until we sure up special teams, we will be the first in line watching the big game like always. Competing against Bama, and now Auburn, UGay, and UT (is back whether or not you guys want to believe that) means we can not leave any stone unturned. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

just my .02

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #51
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qock View Post
The problem is, we don't really have a premium pass rusher on the team anymore. That area is going to be an MAJOR issue for us at least early next season. It's more of a testament of who we lose and the lack of players we have to replace them. Our talent at DE is going to drop off a cliff, and BAW is already an advanced pass rusher and has more raw ability to get the QB than anyone else on our roster at the moment unless Wideman or Sawyer make it in. Given those factors and his widely reported work ethic (second to none), I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

As for his actual position at LB, I think he'll gradually earn more playing time and work his way on the two-deep. It'll be tough for him to log a lot of playing time given our talent there. His immediate impact will come with his hand down in situations where the QB needs to be pressured.
watch film on Sawyer, if that's not premium pass rush I don't know what premium pass rush is. Larenz Bryant is also an elite pass rusher, and as you mentioned BAW. I wouldn't worry about it bruh, the only reason our pass rush looked bad last season is that recievers were always wide ass open, and we inserted a completely different system with coach Adams. Give Deke his players and 2 years, tweet that

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #52
qock
Recruit

Male

qock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
watch film on Sawyer, if that's not premium pass rush I don't know what premium pass rush is. Larenz Bryant is also an elite pass rusher, and as you mentioned BAW. I wouldn't worry about it bruh, the only reason our pass rush looked bad last season is that recievers were always wide ass open, and we inserted a completely different system with coach Adams. Give Deke his players and 2 years, tweet that
I actually agree on Sawyer (hence, why I said unless Sawyer or Wideman make it in) and think he is probably the most polished player we are bringing in this class. IF he qualifies, I'd be shocked if he didn't crack the two deep faster than any other incoming freshman. Bryant is still at Spur and, IMO, I don't think pass rushing is a major strength of his. I do think he is the next star at that position however.

And I thought last year's pass rush was much better than people gave it credit for. Sure, it wasn't the ridiculously dominant rush we saw in 2012, but they still did a great job getting into the backfield most of the time and making QBs feel uncomfortable. I'm more worried about what we are losing there. JC didn't have the year people thought he would, but he was still a significant factor every game even if he just forced opposing coaches to game-plan for him. Quarles, our best pass rusher from last season, is also gone, and Sutton was also a seasoned veteran who, while inconsistent last year, was a solid pass rusher in his own right. Next year we have English and Harris, who were very inconsistent last year and are very undersized, and Dixon. I think Dixon will end up being a good player, but pass rushing isn't his strength. I'm hopeful English can bulk up some this offseason, but I think we are going to be relying heavily on the new guys to generate a pass rush next year given who we lose.
qock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #53
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
We have GOT to tighten up special teams and get someone who can punt the damn ball further than 35 yards. we will not contend until we sure up special teams, we will be the first in line watching the big game like always. Competing against Bama, and now Auburn, UGay, and UT (is back whether or not you guys want to believe that) means we can not leave any stone unturned. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

just my .02
Excellent point. read an article on wins per $ spent on the overall program w/ K state coming in 1rst or 2nd ea yr w/ teams like Stanford in top 5
. teams like Florida, Ark, Colo, Cal @ the rear.
One of the issues adressed is in addition to having low outlay, and maybe in part due to, KState tended not to sign high end recruiting classes yet did well yr over yr vs established programs.
overall O & D #s were fine however the place that they excelled was special teams. For instance leading the nation in field position exchanges and while excelling in all special teams... punt & kick coverage vs punt & kick recieved, FG % for vs against, FG & punts blocks vs blocked, TO +/- on returns, return TDs scored vs allowed. All help K State win vs teams believed to have them outmaned but maybe the most important is the first, field position exchange netting nearly 4 yrds every time the ball flys, kick or punt.
Knowing how poorly we perform in virtually all aspects of ST how much might it further our cause were each of these factors leaned to our favor? Think about it, win all ST battles.....gain field position on average for ea kick and punt covered and on every kick or punt returned, more Tds scored than surrendered, more TO gained than lost, more punts and Fgs blocks than have blocked, more FGs made and from greater distance than surrendered.
Think how better field position off our returns or getting a turnover on coverage might affect our offence given how SS tends to go deep after momentum shifting plays and how more likely he is to play 4 down ball once we aproach mid field.
Think how much better we felt having a FG unit that was effective helped our team over all. Now think how much more having all 6 ST units be consistantly more effective than those of our opponents will add to our team?

Last edited by boness; 02-06-2014 at 08:02 PM.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #54
Spurminator
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 550
Spurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his clawsSpurminator is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by qock
Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchcock

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Spurminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #55
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
The system familiarity should serve improvement as you noted however the issues we faced early 13 with our LBs and safeties reasonably switch to our ends and corners for much the same reasons. Last yr we had replaced nearly all of our middle of the order guys with either guys who were not our best options in 12 or were brand new to the program.
14 we will replace our ends and corners with a combo of those who were not our best options in 13 and or who are new to the roster. It again stands to reason that, especially out of the gates, we will have a drop off in corner and end play.
Much like we depended on superior corner press coverage and line play along with schematic simplification and adjustment to aid the middle last yr we will likely need the middle to carry a little extra load early 14.
Nothing would pls us more than for the D to have several expediated versions of Skye Moore and return to top ten status but it seems more likely, given the returning production, the O continue to advance possibly aproaching top 10 like production And pls pls hope of hopes have the 6 ST units attain even average overall SEC production.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #56
GamecocksBW
Walk On

Male

GamecocksBW has hatched from the shell

Perspective of the signing class from guys at Bleacher Report…key for me was emphasis on S. Car's ability to develop players. Not a list of "five stars" or a "superstar" but a solid group of guys that have great potential. Our Gamecookies may not get the top rated recruiting classes but they certainly compete (where it really matters) with just about anyone…see link below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-and-analysis
GamecocksBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #57
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Legion of Pow??
Legion of BAW!!!!

Yes, I just responded to myself. Deal......
Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #58
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

We need a nickname thread for this class.