CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
Copperhead
sanford
ConwayGamecock
b381l
gamecockgal
Venables to TAMU? (4059)
Vegas line moving on (2896)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2678)
Phil Kronblut show (1383)
Arkansas... (1296)
Women's Soccer Elite (1010)
End of the aTm / LSU (910)
Anyone know what thi (824)
Have we been favored (709)
marshall/WKU (314)
Arkansas...
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Texans getting frustrated
Vegas line moving on game
Tailgating tomorrow for t
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ C
Venables to TAMU?
Clemson fans
Constant Updates on Watso
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh

Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #101
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Projected Depth Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
Just heard that Spurrier made a call to Stoops because Oklahoma has "done some good things in the 3 and 4 down stuff. Said they were heading out to Norman on spring break to take a look.

I love the diversity of the 4-2, but with our personnel, our strength may be playing a 3-4 this year. We have inside backers that are big enough that can press the guards and quick outside backers that can bring the pressure from the edge.
To add to this, if some of those DE don't make it in, the DE we have on the team now will not be able to get pressure on the QB without blitzing.....so the 3-4 makes sense. I'm really happy to see SOS not be close minded on how we run our defense. I've also heard they are planning to play BAW like we did Norwood in certain situations.....so that just adds to the fact that putting in another LB would be a smart thing to do. Having said all this, I'm still hopeful at least 2 of Thomas/Sawyer/Wideman make it.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #102
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just heard that Spurrier made a call to Stoops because Oklahoma has "done some good things in the 3 and 4 down stuff. Said they were heading out to Norman on spring break to take a look.

I love the diversity of the 4-2, but with our personnel, our strength may be playing a 3-4 this year. We have inside backers that are big enough that can press the guards and quick outside backers that can bring the pressure from the edge.
Do we have the defensive personnel to run a 3-4?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #103
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Do we have the defensive personnel to run a 3-4?
Yes, more so than the 4-2.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #104
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Fooled me then.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #105
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our linebackers are too small for a 3-4. We also don't have enough DTs to run it. The current scheme allows a lot of flexibility in our defense and it is imprudent to try and change the scheme to a 3-4.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #106
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Our linebackers are too small for a 3-4. We also don't have enough DTs to run it. The current scheme allows a lot of flexibility in our defense and it is imprudent to try and change the scheme to a 3-4.
Not true.

Oklahoma runs a 3-3-5 defense. Their starting LB corp measured 6-0 219,
6-1, 229 and 6-2, 216.

Not counting 2014 commits, we have the personnel to run a 3 down. We have versatile guys that can play one or two gap.

Everything is speculation at this point. I'm sure if they experiment with 3 with their hands down, they will run some type hybrid with a stand up/down backer to give a 4 look in some cases. There is also more versatility in blitz packages with four backers.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #107
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i think you'd more likely just see a variation of our current scheme. a 3-3-5 with a hybrid de/olb that will allow us to show a 4-2 or 3-3 based on where he aligns. we did it a lot with norwood. i dont envision a true 3-4 but i could see some 3 man fronts for some more exotic blitz packages.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #108
War Rooster
Fear The Visor

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
War Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Skype™ to War Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i think you'd more likely just see a variation of our current scheme. a 3-3-5 with a hybrid de/olb that will allow us to show a 4-2 or 3-3 based on where he aligns. we did it a lot with norwood. i dont envision a true 3-4 but i could see some 3 man fronts for some more exotic blitz packages.
I would be very okay with adding these sorts of 3-man front packages for the coming season. In fact, I hope we show this sort of package versatility. I think we'll probably have to blitz more often to get pressure next season, so having some different looks to blitz off of isn't a bad idea. Though, I doubt we'll stray too far from the 4-2-5. Nor should we.

I think we also need to get a little more creative with varying our schemes against some of these big power run teams that have run at will on us at times the last couple of years. We're a little undersized to just line up and smash right back against the LSUs and Wisconsins of the world. A base 4-2-5 probably doesn't help much there, either? There was some talk last preseason about us fooling around with some 5-2 defensive formations, but that never really materialized. Obviously, we don't have the same personnel to run that sort of thing in the coming season, but I liked that we were looking at different ideas to try out. Maybe we'll do a little more than just look at them this coming year?

War Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #109
gamecockguy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Lol no. The 3-4 is terrible unless you have an enormous DT that can take up 2 blockers (Mt. Cody, Jenkins and Geathers at UGA). We don't have that. Our DTs are leaner and more equipped to get into the backfield. Not to mention that the DEs we have are already on the lean side with the exception of Dixon. If Harris and English are too small to play in a 4-3 they won't even sniff the field in a 3-4

Plus changing the whole scheme would be a terrible idea. All the experience we have coming back would be wasted as everybody would be learning a new scheme, not just the freshmen.

Maybe Whammy installs a package with 3 down linemen, but without a 320lb DT to anchor the middle and occupy two blockers I don't see it being very effective.
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #110
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockguy View Post
Lol no. The 3-4 is terrible unless you have an enormous DT that can take up 2 blockers (Mt. Cody, Jenkins and Geathers at UGA). We don't have that. Our DTs are leaner and more equipped to get into the backfield. Not to mention that the DEs we have are already on the lean side with the exception of Dixon. If Harris and English are too small to play in a 4-3 they won't even sniff the field in a 3-4

Plus changing the whole scheme would be a terrible idea. All the experience we have coming back would be wasted as everybody would be learning a new scheme, not just the freshmen.

Maybe Whammy installs a package with 3 down linemen, but without a 320lb DT to anchor the middle and occupy two blockers I don't see it being very effective.
I concur. The only reason it works at Bama is size that we don't have. They were recruiting Clowney to put at OLB for crying out loud.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #111
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not true.

Oklahoma runs a 3-3-5 defense. Their starting LB corp measured 6-0 219,
6-1, 229 and 6-2, 216.

Not counting 2014 commits, we have the personnel to run a 3 down. We have versatile guys that can play one or two gap.

Everything is speculation at this point. I'm sure if they experiment with 3 with their hands down, they will run some type hybrid with a stand up/down backer to give a 4 look in some cases. There is also more versatility in blitz packages with four backers.
We already run a lot of stuff like that with our current defense. Mixing stuff up is what we do. Don't you recall Clowney covering the Wisconsin TE in the bowl game?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #112
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Here are two names I'm curious to see...KJ Brent and Deon Green.

Haven't heard much out of them since they got here...but both are academic honor roll students.

Seem like high-quality guys that maybe serve a different type of leadership on the team.

Or does someone have info that one or both may be transferring for playing time.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #113
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Mason Harris and Darius English should get looks at LB if they don't put on some serious weight.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #114
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:

It depends whether we play one or two gap defense on the front three.

Gerald Dixon jr is 6-3, 318, Philip Dukes is 6-3, 315. Plenty big for NT. Starting NT for Bama is 6-4 310.

Oregon ran a 3-4 with a big NT and two lean DE.

Yes, Bama has giant LBs. They also lost their last two games, getting spanked by Oklahoma 45-31. Bigger backers do not equate better defense. Oklahoma's backers were smaller, more active and had McCarron guessing all nite where the pressure was coming from, which led to 5 Bama turnovers.

An effective 3 down defense can also shut down an effective running game, something we could not do last year. Bama only gave up 89 yards rushing
Oklahoma, and the Sooners held Bama to 129 yards on the ground which included Derrick Henry busting one for 43 yards.

I like the 4-2, but there has to be a reason more teams are utilizing the 3 front.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #115
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

If you want to stop the run, you play with three tackles and two DE that are fast enough so they can drop into the flats. We went to some of that in the bowl game in the second half.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #116
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:

I agree with this. The LB's are key in a 3-4, and while I think we have good LB's (not great, yet), I just don't think they would be good in that system. That's asking a lot. I know jaycee addressed the issue of the size of the LB's, but I just don't see that group as one a defense can rely on to constantly get to the QB.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #117
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
If you want to stop the run, you play with three tackles and two DE that are fast enough so they can drop into the flats. We went to some of that in the bowl game in the second half.

Please show me where we lined up three DTs and 2 DE in the bowl game in the second half.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #118
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Shamier better show something in the spring if he wants to be on the two deep.
I think k smith may take his spot
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #119
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Based on our present personnel, I would like to see Whammy go to 3-4 as a base defense. Seems our strength and depth on defense will be the LBs.

Putting another LB on defense will help the young corners underneath, put in more blitz pkgs to utilize speed and the DL only has gap responsibilities to free the backers.

More and more college teams are going back to 3-4. Bama, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, Stanford, Wisconsin are some off the top of my head.
The advantage of the 3-4 is that it allows for a lot of variety in blitzes, this means that the playbook is thick and complicated. It works great when you're going up against traditional, huddle and play offenses, but loses it's advantage due to complexity of it's alignments against hurry-ups. Beyond that, you want, ideally a 325 lb DT and 2 rather large DEs, we have recruited playmakers for these positions, not space takers. I would also point out that everyone points out what Bama does against the run, but I say look at what happens when someone runs power against UGA and the OLBs have to set the edge against pulling guards. While it is great for runs up the middle, and passes, with appropriate time to set up of course, it is still vulnerable when you attack the outside against the run. THis doesn't happen against Bama because they have monster's on the outside, with WDEs playing linebacker. Bama, having a complicated Defense, out of necessity, does terribly against spread offenses. Oklahoma runs a 3-3-5 not 3-4, which is why they do fine against spreads. We finished second in the Conference behind Bama in Defense, after barely being in the top half at the midway point of the season running our Defense. While we might be gashed from time to time against down-hill running teams, switching to the 3-4 is far from a guarantee to stop it, and it won't be worth the trade-offs with UF going to hurry-up, and UGA already incorporating some. And it should be noticed, that though we don't do as good against good, large power-run teams as we do against more balanced teams or teams that run out of the spread, it should be noted we still out-perform most D's they face more often than not, and when we win in the early downs and force them to pass, we dominate. We have a system that affords both flexibility and efficiency, and it has undeniably paid dividends. These are all things we will lose if we switch to a 3-4 with our players in this conference.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #120
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Based on our present personnel, I would like to see Whammy go to 3-4 as a base defense. Seems our strength and depth on defense will be the LBs.

Putting another LB on defense will help the young corners underneath, put in more blitz pkgs to utilize speed and the DL only has gap responsibilities to free the backers.

More and more college teams are going back to 3-4. Bama, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, Stanford, Wisconsin are some off the top of my head.
By the way, sorry that you receive the long response, I was really kinda responding to all the pages that follow discussing this idea.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote