CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
usc1
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
smoovecock
StormOfTalons
robgusc76
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (848)
Spurrier vs Saban (804)
Kansas to invest $75 (757)
When does fall pract (725)
An Air Algerie Fligh (279)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (268)
Anyone Switching to (259)
Expect A Healthy Dos (253)
Darth Vader 'Vette (191)
Signee James Thompson arr
Texags
Coach's media golf press
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 - Amonte Caban
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Places to eat in Conway?
Spurrier vs Saban
Another A&M aggie off

Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Help me find cheap desktop!

My PC constantly shuts off due to a hardware issue I haven't been able to identify after some troubleshooting (memory swap, HD swaps, re-installs, etc) without swapping the motherboard. Pisses me off because I've only had it for 3 years. I've been living with this issue for almost a year and it has become progressively worse.

Here is what I am looking for- I have been browsing online but haven't found "that deal" yet:

- Intel. This past PC was my first AMD and I am scarred now.
- Memory amount is irrelevant, I have 8GB in spare sticks from troubleshooting. It MUST be DDR3, however...and take my extra 8GB.
- HD size isn't important, I have a 750GB from my current I can use as well as a 500GB external.
- Windows 7 64-bit, please.
- I want to spend less than $300 and get the best machine possible with these specs. Would really like to be under $250.
- In store or online, I don't mind.
- Tower only...I already have a 24" monitor.
- Built-in wireless would be a big plus.

I don't game. My main uses are:

- Browsing internet, videos, etc.
- Photoshop/Illustrator
- Photo storage

All help is appreciated!

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
lchite4
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb
Default Re: Help me find cheap desktop!

A quick search got me this. With everything you require, esp Windows 7 (Why??) I got this. $20 above your price range, but solid comp. I'm sure you could do a little more internet digging and find a special or something, but this is a great website if you want to look around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883258039

Hope this helps.
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Build one man. You can build a powerful, custom machine that won't cost a lot more than a low end desktop.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
Build one man. You can build a powerful, custom machine that won't cost a lot more than a low end desktop.
I had thought about that, but the warranty would be nice and I really just don't want to put the time/effort in with all of the other projects I have.

Maybe if I had a "buy this" list and I knew it would be at my price point, I'd consider it. I could do some searching online I suppose, I have an actual TigerDirect store a couple blocks away- so getting the parts wouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
My PC constantly shuts off due to a hardware issue I haven't been able to identify after some troubleshooting (memory swap, HD swaps, re-installs, etc) without swapping the motherboard. Pisses me off because I've only had it for 3 years. I've been living with this issue for almost a year and it has become progressively worse.

Here is what I am looking for- I have been browsing online but haven't found "that deal" yet:

- Intel. This past PC was my first AMD and I am scarred now.
- Memory amount is irrelevant, I have 8GB in spare sticks from troubleshooting. It MUST be DDR3, however...and take my extra 8GB.
- HD size isn't important, I have a 750GB from my current I can use as well as a 500GB external.
- Windows 7 64-bit, please.
- I want to spend less than $300 and get the best machine possible with these specs. Would really like to be under $250.
- In store or online, I don't mind.
- Tower only...I already have a 24" monitor.
- Built-in wireless would be a big plus.

I don't game. My main uses are:

- Browsing internet, videos, etc.
- Photoshop/Illustrator
- Photo storage

All help is appreciated!
Check the Lenovo outlet HERE on a daily basis. They come with full warranty but will have Win8 on them.

They have a few under $300 right now like an i3 for $279. Woot.com has desktop sales from time to time as well.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
Check the Lenovo outlet HERE on a daily basis. They come with full warranty but will have Win8 on them.

They have a few under $300 right now like an i3 for $279. Woot.com has desktop sales from time to time as well.
Looking at that now, that is a great deal. Going to look more into it now and see if it has enough RAM slots, etc to really be what I need.

Also, I thought I read that PCs with Windows 8 can somehow be downgraded to Windows 7 free of charge? I don't like Windows 8 at all...but imagine I could figure to live with it if needed. Don't suppose I could use my current license from my dead PC to install Win7?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I have gotten lots of deals here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/. You can buy a system or a full kit and throw it together yourself.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I have gotten lots of deals here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/. You can buy a system or a full kit and throw it together yourself.
Yance, there is a TigerDirect store around the corner from my house. I also checked online with them...didn't really find anything that stood out to me from the box. I will keep looking, just wanted to make a purchase by the weekend.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
uscgrad68
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 736
uscgrad68 has earned his spursuscgrad68 has earned his spursuscgrad68 has earned his spursuscgrad68 has earned his spursuscgrad68 has earned his spursuscgrad68 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Looking at that now, that is a great deal. Going to look more into it now and see if it has enough RAM slots, etc to really be what I need.

Also, I thought I read that PCs with Windows 8 can somehow be downgraded to Windows 7 free of charge? I don't like Windows 8 at all...but imagine I could figure to live with it if needed. Don't suppose I could use my current license from my dead PC to install Win7?
I bought a laptop with Windows 8 and tried to get Staples technical support to convert it to Windows 7, like my second laptop. They said that they had tried it with someone else and it did not work. So, if you find someone who tells you differently and it works, please post the results.

At the same time, Windows 8 is OK. You get used to it - just a few key clicks and I can easily do the same thing as on my windows 7 computer.
uscgrad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Hold out. Desktops are a dead technology so there are bound to be some sweet deals on packages but building will be your best bet.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

Quote:

Drivers may be difficult or impossible to find for the downgrade from 8 to 7. Try Classic Shell on Windows 8 to make it look like Windows 7.
http://classicshell.net/

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #12
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

What do you guys think about this Dell refurb unit?

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/StoreC..._ram_250gb_hdd

I can get it for $319 with a coupon. It has an Intel Core i5 and says it has 4 slots for memory. Also has Windows 7, except it's 32 bit instead of 64.

This looks like former computers leased to businesses/government?

Thoughts?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
Drivers may be difficult or impossible to find for the downgrade from 8 to 7. Try Classic Shell on Windows 8 to make it look like Windows 7.
http://classicshell.net/
This. Either that or StartX will give you the look and feel of old Windows while keeping all of the benefits of 8.1.

#ModForMod
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
What do you guys think about this Dell refurb unit?

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/StoreC..._ram_250gb_hdd

I can get it for $319 with a coupon. It has an Intel Core i5 and says it has 4 slots for memory. Also has Windows 7, except it's 32 bit instead of 64.

This looks like former computers leased to businesses/government?

Thoughts?
Bad news because it is a proprietary system. You have to get everything from Dell. There are better deals out there.

#ModForMod
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #15
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Hold out. Desktops are a dead technology so there are bound to be some sweet deals on packages but building will be your best bet.
Explain.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #16
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
No they're not. Not even close. The issue is repair cost. Laptops are comparatively very expensive to repair. Labor. You have to disassemble the things for any serious repair. Parts costs are higher as well. Acquisition costs for desktops are lower. For the casual user, email, internet, facebook, etc., desktops will have a much lower total ownership cost over it's life. Whatever I said for laptops versus desktops, you can say the say the same for tablets as well.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:11 AM   #17
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Why do you have to have a an INTEL? Go with AMD you'll save some money.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:29 AM   #18
BleedsGarnet
4-Star

Male

BleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spursBleedsGarnet has earned his spurs

Your power supply is bad
BleedsGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Explain.
Actually tablets and touch screen in general is killing sales of most desktops, aside from serious gamers and corporate users. Laptop and Desktop sales are in double digit sales declines year over year. Windows 8 had hoped to curtail that some but only made it easier for the casual user to transition away. As for the comments on repair cost, I completely agree with you but the casual buyer doesn't even think about how easily they can open it up and work on it. They're commodity throw away items. Apple is about the only co that can consistently get over the $1,000 range for laptops anymore. Sure there are those in the niche market. With sales in such sharp declines, volume of the large desktop components drops and prices for that stuff will increase if you can find it at all before too much longer. Go to any computer store and look around. 10x more laptops than desktop pcs and 30x more tablets. Those #'s are in no way scientific but are from my observation's only.

There are dozens of articles written about it but here's a good one from WSJ. Pay special attn to their graphic showing the decline year over year. It's actually falling off quicker now: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...14973888155516

image: http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0410191805.jpg

More from Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...-shopping.html

Software is moving to cloud environments, optical drives are becoming less of a standard, and hard drives are becoming SS more often. All in an effort to make things smaller, portable and have a longer battery life. Technology is killing the desktop PC.

Last edited by gamecock88; 02-13-2014 at 07:44 AM.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The desktop has at least a decade of life. My suggestion is to go with a mid tier non proprietary model that can be upgraded easily. If you can find a model you like online and Best Buy has that in store they will match the online price.

#ModForMod