CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Sandstorm29
MWard
robgusc76
Wilds & Carson B (2522)
Marquavius Lewis (2461)
So, why is next year (2303)
How Long Will The Re (1497)
Restaurant musts in (1082)
Why do so many of yo (1061)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (833)
Shot in the arm for (823)
Custom Jersey (439)
5 Gourmet Foods That (299)
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Further clarification on
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #61
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Didn't mean to offend anyone. I just mentioned the fact that he was gay. Never said it was a bad thing and never said I don't agree with gay people. I even complimented his size, speed, and hoped Dante had a motor comparable to Sam's. Was it the most professional comment? Probably not, but then again this is a message board.
You have every right to say what you want man. These freakin liberals have no problem with what you say as long as they agree with it. Screw them.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #62
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I could see us using Cooper or Harris as a "rover" on some downs where they won't be at a set position, but their only goal will be getting after the QB. Could be cool to utilize.
I feel almost certain both of those guys have been over recruited. I would not expect much from either.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #63
zcockz
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
I feel almost certain both of those guys have been over recruited. I would not expect much from either.
I agree with this post. Moving to D-End and trying to gain weight is not a good sign.

In my opinion we are in more trouble at end than corner. English got thrown around this year. Almost everyone is trying to "gain weight".
zcockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #64
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

...or maybe he's had catastrophic knee injuries and he's been passed by people behind him.

There's still room under the bus if you feel like chunking a few more people there.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #65
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
I'm glad to hear you agree that it was an extraneous comment. my comment had nothing to do with pc-ness. I just wanted to stay focus...

I'm unsold on Deke so far. not that I dont like him, but just that I haven't decided if I do or do not like him. He's definitely got a boat load of talent to work with. that is for certain.
Yeah so am I. People try to find things that lawing did wrong but in the end he was one hell of a coach and I feel our line took a step backwards last year. I hope im wrong though
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #66
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcockz View Post
I agree with this post. Moving to D-End and trying to gain weight is not a good sign.

In my opinion we are in more trouble at end than corner. English got thrown around this year. Almost everyone is trying to "gain weight".
English is going to be a good one imo. He will be 250lbs by the time we open up. I also think David Johnson is going to be a great player for us and is certainly not under sized.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #67
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
...or maybe he's had catastrophic knee injuries and he's been passed by people behind him.

There's still room under the bus if you feel like chunking a few more people there.
Who's throwing him under the bus? Some just believe we have recruited better players. He has every chance to prove us wrong. If you don't like others opinion then you shouldn't be on a message board.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #68
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
Yeah so am I. People try to find things that lawing did wrong but in the end he was one hell of a coach and I feel our line took a step backwards last year. I hope im wrong though
Meh. I never thought Lawing did that well in his interviews. Kind of an uninspiring type of guy.

I haven't heard enough interviews with Deke to have an opinion. However, he seems to have the players ear whenever they show him on the sidelines in the games. Deke also has more street cred as a DL coach than Lawing based upon his background. So, I am respectfully disagreeing with you and I have good reasons for disagreeing with you.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #69
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1097400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
I'll join you in hoping we are wrong.It might be that I just had such high hopes for last years line and the other teams schemed in ways that prevented it from being monster or that my expectations were unreasonable, but it did feel like a step in the wrong direction.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #70
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Meh. I never thought Lawing did that well in his interviews. Kind of an uninspiring type of guy.
Adams seems much more positive in his interview comments than Lawing. Lawing seemed to call it like he saw it, but sometimes had an edge toward reporters. I miss the Ellis Johnson interviews more than I miss his coaching, but I do think Ward answers honestly, and like Johnson, as though he believes the listener knows something about football.

As far as our DL performance this year, it's pretty well established that the first four fifths year's linebacker play was the hole in DL stats and performance. As the LB's picked it up, the DL could stick to their gaps and everything, including TFL and sacks picked up. We did get beat around left DE a lot, but that got better as the LB's improved and as Dixon 44 got into the mix more.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 02-14-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #71
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Adams is clearly superior to Lawing as a recruiter. As far as evaluating talent and coaching, I don't think Deke has been here long enough. Perhaps another year or two and then those comparisons can be made.

As far as Ellis Johnson is concerned, I don't think anyone can argue with the fact there are few college coaches that know more about defensive coaching than Ellis. Having said that, every time I heard him interview, he was always very negative and pointing to all the mistakes the players made, hardly ever any words of praise or encouragement. I think it was that attitude that caused him to be such a poor head coach. Whammy seems to be able to relate very well and appears to be a players' coach. But when he speaks, I don't think he needs to say things twice to get his point across. I think his personality fits perfectly with Spurrier where EJ's personality seemed to conflict with SOS from time to time.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #72
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Who's throwing him under the bus? Some just believe we have recruited better players. He has every chance to prove us wrong. If you don't like others opinion then you shouldn't be on a message board.
Quote:
That. That's throwing him under a bus. The coaches were VERY high on Cooper before he blew out his knee. He's had a hard road to recovery and doesn't have the speed he once had. Moving him to DE is the right move for his frame and based on the guys that passed him while he was out.

Everyone's welcome to their opinion, the same way I'm welcome to call you out on yours if I feel you're being unfair to a kid who has faced some tough breaks.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:43 AM   #73
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

We've had questions at certain positions going into every year the last few years. We've gone 11-2 the last 3 years. I'm pretty sure we'll be fine barring any injuries.

I'm not worried about it at all. Just hope the boys get in the weight room and practice field and break out their work ethics every day.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #74
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

"You can take your stats and wallpaper your powder room with them."

Ellis Johnson to The State reporters

Spurrier, OTH, loves his stats. He taught Connor Shaw how to use them in post game interviews.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #75
zcockz
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
zcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his clawszcockz is sharpening his claws

Quote:
English is going to be a good one imo. He will be 250lbs by the time we open up. I also think David Johnson is going to be a great player for us and is certainly not under sized.

I hope so. The situation is similar to Devin Taylor, except that DT was making plays even when he was underweight. Again I hope I'm wrong but it looks to me like we'll get hit hard on the edges.

Our biggest tests in '14 will be against teams that are run first. Being able to hold up the edge will be important.
zcockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #76
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
You have every right to say what you want man. These freakin liberals have no problem with what you say as long as they agree with it. Screw them.
Well, this freaking conservative isn't claiming you either. Could you be one of those unwashed masses that needs a bath? Just wondering? LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #77
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Well, this freaking conservative isn't claiming you either. Could you be one of those unwashed masses that needs a bath? Just wondering? LOL.
Unfortunately, the term "conservative" has been co-opted by the big government and authoritarian Republicans. It no longer means what it meant in the classical sense. Same with "liberal". It is weird how politics bend the meanings of words. It is hard to know what you believe when you describe yourself as conservative nowadays.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #78
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
That. That's throwing him under a bus. The coaches were VERY high on Cooper before he blew out his knee. He's had a hard road to recovery and doesn't have the speed he once had. Moving him to DE is the right move for his frame and based on the guys that passed him while he was out.

Everyone's welcome to their opinion, the same way I'm welcome to call you out on yours if I feel you're being unfair to a kid who has faced some tough breaks.
I am stating what I believe to be a fact. Would you like to wager on how big an impact Harris or Cooper make? I guess I am calling you out.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #79
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Dang man I will lose sleep over that.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #80
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post

I haven't heard enough interviews with Deke to have an opinion. However, he seems to have the players ear whenever they show him on the sidelines in the games. Deke also has more street cred as a DL coach than Lawing based upon his background. So, I am respectfully disagreeing with you and I have good reasons for disagreeing with you.
Product on the field goes a lot farther than street credit in my book. I guess we will see the product this coming year. I must say it takes a lot of credit to become the DL coach at Uf.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote