CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
ReadR00ster
4gamecockfb
sporkgod50
OscarTheGrouch
Acockolypse Now
RGHoskins
bigdog2003
GoldenSpur7
Spurrier_Superior_On
Diamond DeSheilds, U (2839)
how has more ESPN an (1578)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1111)
Gamecock Legacy recr (766)
Women's bb - Deshiel (506)
Clemson's At It Agai (497)
22 ways to annoy peo (391)
$15 home AC (368)
Hope Springs Eternal (303)
Why sports will alwa (255)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Steak and eggs
how has more ESPN anounce
Season Rankings Thread...
Byron the bunny...fear th
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Playstation 4
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default I'm in Houston TX

I'm not a fan of big cities generally, but if I had to live in one, I could live here. It has lots of stuff to do and there are some incredible neighborhoods

I think it would be very expensive to live here though. Lots of upscale areas.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
3MTA3
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: I'm in Houston TX

It's also the only city in the US that has no zoning laws
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Transmaniacon
4-Star

Male

Transmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudlyTransmaniacon is crowing loudly

I've only been once (and for only 2 days), but I didn't care all that much for it. The people seemed okay, but the downtown area didn't have much life to it. I think it is a decentralized city, in a lot of ways, so the cooler things may take a while to find. I never liked Columbia much either until I lived there for a few years (and like it a lot). So, I'll give Houston the benefit of the doubt an assume I don't really know jack about the place. I'm trying to think of some good bands/artists from Texas but can only think of Kings X. Somebody help me out, I know I'm missing at least a few decent bands.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
carolina2010
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 756
carolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudlycarolina2010 is crowing loudly

It is hot and humid from April to October... Like humid as hell and sweat immediately
carolina2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Considered by some to be the birthplace of urban sprawl due to their lack of zoning laws. I wrote a paper on it for one of my Econ classes while I was at USC. Seems like it would be an interesting city to live in.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

The Rice area is awesome.

They have a bar downtown called Woodrow's that has turtle racing...and it is a sight to see. Another out of place bar downtown as well that looked more like Salty Nut or Jake's in Columbia...out of place but had a good beer selection.

Astros games were incredibly cheap (I think we got tix for $2 a piece).

I did not like their highway system with all the strange frontage roads going the complete distance of the actual interstates- gets a bit confusing.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

....seen any cats sitting in chairs?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
doc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming indoc has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Are you saying a person can open a strip bar next to a elementary school.
That type of zoning law.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
The Rice area is awesome.

They have a bar downtown called Woodrow's that has turtle racing...and it is a sight to see. Another out of place bar downtown as well that looked more like Salty Nut or Jake's in Columbia...out of place but had a good beer selection.

Astros games were incredibly cheap (I think we got tix for $2 a piece).

I did not like their highway system with all the strange frontage roads going the complete distance of the actual interstates- gets a bit confusing.
Those bars you are talking about are actually in the midtown area.. Not far from where I live.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Spare, how long are you going to be here?

If you want some food suggestions or anything just send me a PM and I can help you out.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
That type of zoning law.
Pretty much.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
3MTA3
Starter

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
That type of zoning law.

Well, I'm not sure of the specifics, but theoretically- yes. I do know they have residential buildings next door to an amusement park roller coaster, for example.
3MTA3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194811
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Spare, how long are you going to be here?

If you want some food suggestions or anything just send me a PM and I can help you out.
Spare likes eating at Olive Garden, Chili's, and Applebee's. His favorite though is Buffalo Wild Wings. Give him directions to those and you'll be his bestie.

Seriously though, I hope you have fun in Houston, Spare.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Those bars you are talking about are actually in the midtown area.. Not far from where I live.
Okay, I thought Midtown was basically downtown...no?

That other place I think was called The Front Porch, if I recall correctly.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Okay, I thought Midtown was basically downtown...no?

That other place I think was called The Front Porch, if I recall correctly.
Geographically, yes midtown and downtown are very close. Front Porch is a bar that is 2 blocks from where I live... was there on Friday
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

I spent a week there in college and all I remember is that Sugar Land was nice as hell (that's where I stayed) and I ate at some burrito place and it was the biggest burrito I've ever had. Like a foot long. Couldn't finish it.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

We are leaving tomorrow and we ate at some place called Goodes Barbecue which was completely awesome. I think it's near Armadillo Palace which is a place I saw a concert back in 2003. Tonight were going for seafood

By the way they took us to some western wear store where I saw a pair of cowboy boots for $1200. Insane
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
We are leaving tomorrow and we ate at some place called Goodes Barbecue which was completely awesome. I think it's near Armadillo Palace which is a place I saw a concert back in 2003. Tonight were going for seafood

By the way they took us to some western wear store where I saw a pair of cowboy boots for $1200. Insane
Good to hear you like Goode Company BBQ. My gf takes care of their social media so she was happy when I told her about your post.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Driven through there a few times. Always seemed like a huge sprawl of a city. Didn't see much except interstates and oil refineries.

I am sure there are some nice areas. Bit wouldn't be at the top of my list of cities to see.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

Quote:
Good to hear you like Goode Company BBQ. My gf takes care of their social media so she was happy when I told her about your post.
Tell her I am a big fan. Their BBQ is incredible

Also, there are some very loud crows in the city, they make a screeching noise instead of a crow caw. They are loud as shit in the morning