CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
ReadR00ster
4gamecockfb
markp_vip
Thenardier
sporkgod50
GapoGamecock51
Lalli25
OscarTheGrouch
Acockolypse Now
Diamond DeSheilds, U (3405)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1333)
Women's bb - Deshiel (602)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
Hope Springs Eternal (468)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Byron the bunny...fe (328)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (242)
*Official 2014 NHL S (221)
How to cut the musta (149)
Jameis Winston's Accuser
how has more ESPN anounce
Larenz Bryant update?
Playstation 4
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Where will we be preseaso
Joeckel Transfering from
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Chico McClatcher- 2015 At
Hope Springs Eternal

Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default PS3 Blinking Red Light.

First off I don't wanna hear anything about xbox.

Second has anyone had success using either the hair dryer in the box or opening the console and removing and reinserting the Hard drive? I've had the thing for 7 years and this is the first problem. I'm not dropping $500 on a PS4 at this time. But if need be I'll put money down on a used PS3 but I thought I would give some of the you tube fixes first. Just wondering if anyone else had successfully brought their PS3 back from the dead?

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984
Default Re: PS3 Blinking Red Light.

I had this same problem with my fat model 4-5 years ago. I took it to a computer repair shop that works on game consoles and they were able to fix it for around $30. Then it did it again a few months later and I took it back to them, another $30, and it worked fine for another few months. The third time, I took it back and the hard drive was beyond repair. I won a new slim model on eBay for around $120 and bought it. Just from my experience, you can fix them for a little while, but it never lasts. Might just be worth buying a used PS3 or saving up for a PS4.
TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHater1984 View Post
I had this same problem with my fat model 4-5 years ago. I took it to a computer repair shop that works on game consoles and they were able to fix it for around $30. Then it did it again a few months later and I took it back to them, another $30, and it worked fine for another few months. The third time, I took it back and the hard drive was beyond repair. I won a new slim model on eBay for around $120 and bought it. Just from my experience, you can fix them for a little while, but it never lasts. Might just be worth buying a used PS3 or saving up for a PS4.
Well I just want to get it working for a little while. 1st of all Black Flag is stuck in it right now. Second I just wanna recover from Christmas spending money on another one.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

Fully understandable. Whatever they did to fix it definitely worked, but it was temporary.
TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Explain what it is happening to you in more detail.

My PS3 takes about 15-20 attempts to start up (otherwise, it tries and fails) until it actually "kicks in" and works fine until I turn it off. I have what some describe as the Yellow Light of Death but I also get a red light, too.

It is a pain, but it always starts up for me. Might want to keep trying.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Turns on for about 2 secs and then 3 beeps and blinking red light.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
First off I don't wanna hear anything about xbox.

Second has anyone had success using either the hair dryer in the box or opening the console and removing and reinserting the Hard drive? I've had the thing for 7 years and this is the first problem. I'm not dropping $500 on a PS4 at this time. But if need be I'll put money down on a used PS3 but I thought I would give some of the you tube fixes first. Just wondering if anyone else had successfully brought their PS3 back from the dead?
I had the same issue with first gen a while back and I reflowed mine successfully several times. They used lead free solder which can't withstand the heat and eventually cracks. The heat paste breaks down and no longer transfers heat to the heatsink to cool it down. If you want to keep your ps3 get it reballed that will last a while. If you are going to replace it and want the game try turning ps3 main power off then push and hold eject button as you turn main power back on. It should beep and flash then eject your disc. All of that was from memory about three years ago so hopefully it's correct. If you want to reflow , it isn't hard I can send you the videos I used.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

My first one did that. It's the cold solder joints. It's easy to do, just open it up and use a heat gun on the joints to try and get the solder hot enough to make contact again. There is some good vids on youtube on how to do it.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
I had the same issue with first gen a while back and I reflowed mine successfully several times. They used lead free solder which can't withstand the heat and eventually cracks. The heat paste breaks down and no longer transfers heat to the heatsink to cool it down. If you want to keep your ps3 get it reballed that will last a while. If you are going to replace it and want the game try turning ps3 main power off then push and hold eject button as you turn main power back on. It should beep and flash then eject your disc. All of that was from memory about three years ago so hopefully it's correct. If you want to reflow , it isn't hard I can send you the videos I used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
My first one did that. It's the cold solder joints. It's easy to do, just open it up and use a heat gun on the joints to try and get the solder hot enough to make contact again. There is some good vids on youtube on how to do it.
This would probably explain the hair dryer technique. You warm up the inside with a hair dryer to try and get the joint back together. I was wondering why that would work but it kinda makes sense.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #10
RockRocks787
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Wow I guess I've been extremely lucky with mine (knocking on wood as I type this). I have the original 80 GB model and I've never had any issues with it.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
Wow I guess I've been extremely lucky with mine (knocking on wood as I type this). I have the original 80 GB model and I've never had any issues with it.
I feel I have gotten my money out of it, it's a 1st gen 40gb. Had it since 2006 so I can't complain too much. Although in relative terms I also have an NES that still works so I guess I can't be super impressed with 7 years.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
I feel I have gotten my money out of it, it's a 1st gen 40gb. Had it since 2006 so I can't complain too much. Although in relative terms I also have an NES that still works so I guess I can't be super impressed with 7 years.
Lol, we have an old Atari in the barn. I bet if we hooked it up it would still play. Might have to try it.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Turns on for about 2 secs and then 3 beeps and blinking red light.
Exactly what mine does.

3 beeps...quick yellow light and then blinking red?

If so, you may have hope. Just keep hitting the button each time it fails. It may take 15-20 times, but it just might come on. It works for me and has been enough for me to not go out and buy a new one.

Whenever it starts up, sometimes it thinks you are resetting the video settings- so you may have to select HD when it starts up and asks you.

Keep trying and let me know if it works.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Exactly what mine does.

3 beeps...quick yellow light and then blinking red?

If so, you may have hope. Just keep hitting the button each time it fails. It may take 15-20 times, but it just might come on. It works for me and has been enough for me to not go out and buy a new one.

Whenever it starts up, sometimes it thinks you are resetting the video settings- so you may have to select HD when it starts up and asks you.

Keep trying and let me know if it works.
I tried that earlier, after I read your first post. It didn't do anything. Probably tried 30+ times.