CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markp_vip
WeStillOwnUSC
acejrock
HeadCockFan
TKE226
The Yancey
No Curse
cockyness11
Carolina4Life
cockybusiness2
A&M vent thread (21201)
SOS is pissed (10541)
So, Dylan Thompson? (4147)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Is anybody still opt (2732)
Confused fan here. (2543)
Man of my word (no t (2521)
I'm not looking forw (2379)
Here's a terrifying (2086)
Just a friendly PSA (1840)
More NCAA Stupidity: Vand
Acock's Wrap Up: TAMU
Confused fan here. Why i
A&M vent thread
Predict the Season (After
So, Dylan Thompson?
Is anybody still optimist
Jimmies and Joes
Could Mike Davis Be Back
Heck of an atmosphere

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
ok_gcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his claws
Default Streaming video question

Last year I seem to remember reading a thread about the video feeds getting some info on it (score and innings). I believe someone mentioned that Tanner was working on it. I remember other schools had it on their feeds.

Anybody now what the status is? It is great that we can watch the games, however, I usually get interrupted by the kids and when I get back to it I have no clue what is going on until the announcers say something.

Great wins this weekend. This team will be strong. It should be a great season.
ok_gcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Streaming video question

The last I heard last season was that Ray had been told about the need for graphics and was looking into it. I would imagine if enough people brought it up as a concern, something might be done. And by that I mean contacting the Athletic Department about it.

I think too often folks complain about this kind of stuff on the various message boards, but don't actually take their concerns to the powers that be (not saying you, just in general). I'll be emailing Ray and Joe and IMG about it tonight, just to put another bug in their ears.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
The last I heard last season was that Ray had been told about the need for graphics and was looking into it. I would imagine if enough people brought it up as a concern, something might be done. And by that I mean contacting the Athletic Department about it.

I think too often folks complain about this kind of stuff on the various message boards, but don't actually take their concerns to the powers that be (not saying you, just in general). I'll be emailing Ray and Joe and IMG about it tonight, just to put another bug in their ears.
Listen, I understand the fact that people complain a lot, but this is something that is an easy fix. We do it on our North Greenville broadcasts and we don't even have a budget. Worst Case scenario you do a picture in picture and put a shot of the scoreboard in the bottom right corner. As good as the USC video production crew it is, its pretty bad there is no active scoreboard during games.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Listen, I understand the fact that people complain a lot, but this is something that is an easy fix. We do it on our North Greenville broadcasts and we don't even have a budget. Worst Case scenario you do a picture in picture and put a shot of the scoreboard in the bottom right corner. As good as the USC video production crew it is, its pretty bad there is no active scoreboard during games.
My point simply was that it does no good to complain on the message boards, and then NOT take your same complaints to the University. These boards are not run by the University, and while they may check them periodically, they don't live on them like many fans do.

Again, if it means that much, take complaints to those who can actually do something about it. Like I did with the "Welcome to Columbia" video USC Admissions put out that had close ups of Ben Tillman's statue. I voiced my complaints to the Admissions Office AND to Dr. Pastides. Dr. Pastides had the video pulled within a couple hours of receiving my email, and had the video redone.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

I know during basketball games on the live video on GamecocksOnline they have the gametracker score right next to the video...even though it lags behind a little
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
I know during basketball games on the live video on GamecocksOnline they have the gametracker score right next to the video...even though it lags behind a little
That's how it is for all sports with Gametracker available but yeah it is annoying to have to get out of full screen just to see the score.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
That's how it is for all sports with Gametracker available but yeah it is annoying to have to get out of full screen just to see the score.
yeah...I stand the smaller screen as long as I can...but it helps when you have to be away from the computer for a bit...come back and see the score right away
Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
They usually have the same for baseball. And yes, it lags behind a little.

I think what most people want is actual score graphics on the screen. Other schools have them. I voiced concerns last season. Yes, it would be nice to have, BUT it's not something I lose sleep over. It seems more important to others, however.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
They usually have the same for baseball. And yes, it lags behind a little.

I think what most people want is actual score graphics on the screen. Other schools have them. I voiced concerns last season. Yes, it would be nice to have, BUT it's not something I lose sleep over. It seems more important to others, however.
I'm with you...it's nothing I need BUT I can understand others wanting it. Just being able to watch and listen to Andy and Tommy is enough for me.

I forget when I watch the baseball games it's through the free link
Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Last year I was paying $10 a month like you are supposed to. I think if you are paying customer you have right to complain and a score graphic on the screen is not too much for a paying customer to ask for. Heck I'd even start paying $11.00 dollars a month just to be able to see that happen. lol.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Last year I was paying $10 a month like you are supposed to. I think if you are paying customer you have right to complain and a score graphic on the screen is not too much for a paying customer to ask for. Heck I'd even start paying $11.00 dollars a month just to be able to see that happen. lol.
AGAIN...no one is saying you don't have a right to complain. Just that you might actually get some resolution if you complain to the right people. Complaining on a message board really does nothing to remedy the issue. However, emailing the University just might actually do something.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
ok_gcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
ok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his clawsok_gcock is sharpening his claws

I sent Andy Demetra an email (He is listed as the IMG Director of Broadcasting )

He was quick to reply:
Thanks for your question – it’s one we receive often. The software for a scoreboard “bug” costs in the neighborhood of $25,000+, and Athletics has chosen not to make it a priority at this time. Between our radio broadcast and the Gametracker on Gamecocks Online, we try to do our best to keep fans informed. That decision is ultimately an Athletics one, not a Gamecock IMG Sports Network one, because it technically falls under Video Production. Hope that can shed some light on it. Thank you for listening and supporting our broadcast.

-Andy Demetra

I am not sure who to contact in the Athletics video production. But it sounds like cost would be an issue.

Heck I remember about 20 years ago when it was pretty amazing that I could listen to radio broadcasts of gamecock sports on yahoo using a dial up connection.

Having the video feeds has gotten me pretty spoiled.
ok_gcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

If I'm watching the game at home and lose track of the score, I just check the feed on twitter. They usually update seconds after a score change.

@gamecockbasebll
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #14
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Video Production is Joe Lisle. You can find his email on GamecocksOnline in the staff directory section.

It may be a cost issue. Perhaps if they have enough folks up front saying they wouldn't mind an increase in cost then they would do it. However, you know as well as I do, if they just did it and increased the cost at the same time, folks would complain about that LOL.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMomSC View Post
If I'm watching the game at home and lose track of the score, I just check the feed on twitter. They usually update seconds after a score change.

@gamecockbasebll
This is true. My phone was blowing up all day Saturday and Sunday. And I was there, so I knew the score LOL.

Or shoot...check the game thread. Are folks giving PBP this year like last?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok_gcock View Post
I sent Andy Demetra an email (He is listed as the IMG Director of Broadcasting )

He was quick to reply:
Thanks for your question – it’s one we receive often. The software for a scoreboard “bug” costs in the neighborhood of $25,000+, and Athletics has chosen not to make it a priority at this time. Between our radio broadcast and the Gametracker on Gamecocks Online, we try to do our best to keep fans informed. That decision is ultimately an Athletics one, not a Gamecock IMG Sports Network one, because it technically falls under Video Production. Hope that can shed some light on it. Thank you for listening and supporting our broadcast.

-Andy Demetra

I am not sure who to contact in the Athletics video production. But it sounds like cost would be an issue.

Heck I remember about 20 years ago when it was pretty amazing that I could listen to radio broadcasts of gamecock sports on yahoo using a dial up connection.

Having the video feeds has gotten me pretty spoiled.
I'm not blaming Andy Demetra or anything as he has nothing to do with that, but it's such an easy solution. All they have to do is run Gametracker, record the region of the screen with the score, and embed it over the video. Problem solved. It's one of the simplest things you can do with recording software.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #17
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Is it a 25k one time fee, or a 25k yearly fee?

If it is a 25k one time fee, maybe we can start a fundraising drive, and get USC to match it........

Can anybody explain why N. Greenville can do it and we can't?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 200
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

I cannot imagine that the software to use the scoreboard can be that much. My HIGH SCHOOL broadcasts some of our games online (which I get to do the play-by-play for) and the website we do it through, NFHS Network, doesn't charge us anywhere near that much. I can't believe it would be 25k. Granted, we do ours through that website, but still.

Granted, I'm not complaining about not having the scoreboard since I usually just listen through the radio, but it would be kind of nice to have it, especially like with Sunday's game when we had the no-no going. I stepped about for about 2 minutes and once I came back and the game finished, I found out we'd given up a hit. That kind of stuff would be neat to see.
weatheredxtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #19
tomtomusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 71000
tomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPittomtomusc rules the CockPit

when USC first started baseball streaming they zoomed in the scoreboard at the end of the 1/2 inning and showed the score

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android

Rendezvous is now on Twitter. Search Gamecockbar
tomtomusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

I remember last year some lady called into inside the roost when Ray was on there and she brought this up. Ray said that he had never actually seen one of the online broadcasts of the games and he would look into it. If high schools and small colleges like North Greenville and Francis Marion can do it why on earth can USC not?