CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
WeStillOwnUSC
MountainCock
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
USCNowAndForever
kingoftheroost
palmettosc
Interesting quotes f (2596)
Have you ever been s (1553)
Key for 2015 defense (961)
Skai Moore out for U (815)
Women's Team Ranked (608)
Lebron makes Clevela (502)
Troubles in Tigertow (359)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (324)
Cockaboose Video (249)
What does it take to (143)
Who is your favorite play
Gamecockology Helms
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Skai Moore out for UT
Have you ever been so wro
TN game weather
Uniforms for Tenn
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Chances we win out now?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #21
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Expectations this year

From what I have read, USC is holding up the release of the schedule due to trying to work out a date with one single opponent on it: USC is expected to have a much tougher OOC schedule this coming season - the SEC as a conference had a very poor overall RPI with several teams being culprits for it, and USC was one of them. There is an intent to strengthen many schedules, and apparently the SEC conference offices have to sign off on member schedules now. USC has tweaked our schedule for '13-'14, but is having an issue getting one last date wedged in....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #22
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

I'm feeling 19 or 20 wins with 10 in conference (regular season).

Obviously, that's a higher expectation than most people have for this year but the talent upgrade should bear better results, even if they are young.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

We were so close in many of our SEC games last year and made stupid mistakes down the stretch (Vandy @ home, @ UGA etc). We should be a better team. I think 17 wins is a good estimate for this season
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

"I'm feeling 19 or 20 wins with 10 in conference (regular season).

Obviously, that's a higher expectation than most people have for this year but the talent upgrade should bear better results, even if they are young."

I am optimistic also. Basketball is a totally different animal than football. Teams can turn it around in a hurry and Freshmen can impact a program right away.

Between second year improvement for players like Carrerra and Chatkevicius and talented newcomers that can provide some scoring and depth, I like our chances of improving into a borderline NCAA tournament team this year. NIT is a definite. If the SEC can improve their profile overall, then getting above .500 in SEC play might get us in. We just need to do our share to improve the conference RPI by winning some good OOC games.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

We may not have the win totals, but I have high expectations. This team is going to be fun to watch.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

We will still lose to uk by 30+. But with the nba lottery picks they just signed.. everyone else will too
Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Just looking at last year, this team wasn't far from 20 wins.

More in-depth, what did we lose?
Eric Smith, RJ Slawson, Brian Richardson, Damien Leonard, Lakeem Jackson.
That group averaged a combined 28.9 ppg.

I would include Lashay Page, but since he only played the first half of the year, it is almost like he was never here.

I don't want to be hard, but I think this squad will be better on defense. Slawson, Richardson and Leonard were liabilities on defense.
Offensively I expect a similar team, just because of youth. Thornwell will come in and should probably be the leading scorer...I think we may be putting too much pressure on Henry. Give him another year to bulk up, and I think his sophomore year will be his coming out party.

The other newcomers I think will have moments where they shine and others where they don't.

I know one thing, if the Brenton Williams that played the last few games last season shows up, that will be a huge boost to the offense. Also, I think Carrera will be a 10 and 10 type player (he wasn't far off from last season at 9.9 points and 7.2 boards per game).

Finally, we need the L.Chat that played at Alabama and vs. UGA to show up more often. That player was a 10 and 10 guy. If we can get him averaging about 10, Carrera around 12-15 and if Williams can hover around 15, those three could make a solid group to build the offense around.

I think Chat, Carrera and Williams have the potential to replace the offensive output of the 5 we lost from last season. They have the potential to average around 40 a game.

If Thornwell can average between 18-20 (which I think he can) and Henry can stay around 10, that group could put up 70 a game...that with a better defense could increase the win total to 20.

That is very optimistic on my part.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

NIT possibly...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #29
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
We may not have the win totals, but I have high expectations. This team is going to be fun to watch.
This.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

15 wins..bank on it.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Reeser
Recruit

Male

Reeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his comb

We will have 20 wins this year. Bank on it. Not sure on NCAA tourney that all depends on the SOS. But ive seen all of these kids play and i can tell you there is something special about to happen next year. Also Brison Williams and Carrera have been busting some butt this offseason. Chat has been improving his post play and wait for it.... but this kid can knock down some 3's too. We will be an entirely new basketball team with heart effort and finally, some finishing. Tyrone Johnson is a leader and has that never give in mentallity. I know there are going to be skeptics, but come back to this post in March.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #32
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Taking a look at the schedule, I expect around a 7-6 non-conference record. I see losses @ Baylor, @ Clemson, @ Oklahoma St., vs. St. Mary's in Honolulu, and another loss against a team TBD in Hawaii (I have us going 1-2 in Hawaii). I also expect another slip-up along the way, possibly to Akron, who was an NCAA Tournament team last year (12 seed). We have a very challenging non-conference schedule considering our team's ability and experience.

As far as conference play, there aren't any games that you can look at and say "We should definitely win that game." However, aside from our games against Florida and Kentucky there aren't any games where we should be totally outmatched.

I'd look for us to take some games at home, such as Texas A&M, Auburn, Vandy, and UGA. I also think we can sneak a few games on the road, perhaps Miss St and Auburn. I'd say over/under 5 or 6 conference wins, so I'll put on the garnet shades and say we go 6-12 in conference.

That would put us at 13-18 (6-12 SEC). Last year we were 14-18 (4-14), but with one of the easiest non-conference schedules in the nation. So 13-18 (6-12) would be an improvement. If we can sneak a few more conference games, we could be in the bubble conversation for the NIT, which would be fantastic for this team. I think shooting for .500 overall would be a great goal for this team and I'd be satisfied with that result considering the team we have.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

We won 14 games last year and that includes a bunch of close losses (8 points or less) to:

Elon, Clemson, @MissSt, Auburn, @Georgia, @Missouri, Tennessee.

The SEC looks weak on paper. Kentucky and Florida are the powerhouses. Then there are teams like Tennessee and Alabama who could be good, but they aren't locks.

I think they will finish above .500. Who did we lose outside of Lakeem that was consistently a factor for us? There's going to be growing pains. 12 of the players are freshmen or sophomores. But I feel like there's a good sense of unpredictability about this team. There's more athleticism, there's more hunger, and the players who had been through all that losing under Horn are gone. They don't have that losing culture under them.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #34
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Expecting an improvement from last year.
Hoping we at least crack 500 and get in the NIT.
Dreaming we put an unexpected run together and sneak into the big tourney.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #35
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Interesting to look back at what we all thought. Looks like we haven't met our own expectations, but a late run could get us close. Enjoyed reading back through these.
HeadCockFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #36
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Interesting to look back at what we all thought. Looks like we haven't met our own expectations, but a late run could get us close. Enjoyed reading back through these.
I feel like next year will be the year we start to get competitive.

Improvement, but still got a ways to go.
uscgamecocks88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

A lot of people had no clue the schedule too, this team is definitely better than last years team, people were right about thornwell, also Johnson getting hurt has hurt us a bit, especially in games where we just got tired (ole miss, Mizzou) this team looking back I think we get 12

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #38
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

I think we are doing much better we are still not able to win all the close games but when we do we will be as good as Kentucky's record this year. Also Bruce not coming back and a couple injuries really hurt the continuity that a team needs to compete at a high level out of the gate. Next year is gonna be really fun to watch now that they have been thrown into the fire this year and we will have some experience on the court in more than 1 or 2 players we are gonna be winning many more games.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote