CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
Spurrier was Embaras (3397)
More David Williams (2800)
ECU is a good team (2385)
Is it possible for o (2229)
Spurrier not happy s (2046)
Gameday in Columbia (1239)
Curse of the Chicken (1190)
Alabama vs Florida. (1161)
Tonight's ugly win w (1040)
Our wide receivers w (996)
Tonight's ugly win was in
Gameday in Columbia
Is it possible for our Sp
Polls
More David Williams Pleas
SEC East Race as of 9/21
Name a Gamecock
UK fans and local sports
D line pressure
My guess is

Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #101
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2015 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
So why did he commit to us so early? Why not wait to see if he got an offer?
Honestly? Probably Clowney.

He could still flip back to us. Pruitt has a reputation for demanding kids commit on the spot (see "Wideman, Dexter") and telling them whatever they want to hear (i.e. "we're switching to a 4-3").

The Rivers loss hurts, for sure. But hold on to Blackshear, reel Key back in, and go hard after some others and keep working Rivers on the chance he comes back. We'll be okay.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #102
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Gotta compete in the SECCG next year or we'll lose our window. It'll begin to close soon if we can't capitalize.
?? Because they're changing one aspect of their defense that will effect a handful of players on the field?

Obviously it's not ideal, but we're talking about DEs (primarily) and the one thing SC tends to produce well in-state is DE. It's not like switching to a 4-3 is going to cost us QBs or RBs or OTs. And just because they're switching doesn't mean it will be successful or that there aren't plenty of other viable prospects in GA. I don't think "UGA switching to 4-3" = "the closing of South Carolina's window".
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #103
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
So why did he commit to us so early? Why not wait to see if he got an offer?
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #104
10cocks
Recruit

Male

10cocks has hatched from the shell

we Identified him early...liked what we had to offer...he committed...soon after other offers came along...happens all the time. doesn't mean he didn't want to go to Ga in the first place. no offer..I went and bought a hamburger only because I didn't have enough for a cheeseburger at the time..here's proof.... “Georgia has always been my dream school,” Rivers told the AJC. “I've always wanted to go to Georgia, and I really like the new defensive coaches that they brought in. He called Coach Ward to let him know that South Carolina was important to him, BUT his dream has always been to go to Georgia"
Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #105
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
?? Because they're changing one aspect of their defense that will effect a handful of players on the field?

Obviously it's not ideal, but we're talking about DEs (primarily) and the one thing SC tends to produce well in-state is DE. It's not like switching to a 4-3 is going to cost us QBs or RBs or OTs. And just because they're switching doesn't mean it will be successful or that there aren't plenty of other viable prospects in GA. I don't think "UGA switching to 4-3" = "the closing of South Carolina's window".

I didn't mean to relate it to us losing a DE. Just said it as a broad general, yet true statement.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #106
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Really starting to hate this Pruitt guy... Hopefully his aggressive tactics catch up to him
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #107
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Top247 OL Tommy Hatton is visiting today, according to TBS.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #108
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I didn't mean to relate it to us losing a DE. Just said it as a broad general, yet true statement.
So why is "the window closing", in your view? Poor recruiting on our part? The players we presently have aren't up to par? Coaching? What is it?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #109
thekob
Household Name

Male

thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Given the talent at DE we landed last year (assuming enough players qualify) and the guys we are in on this year (assuming they stay committed) isn't DE not as much of a need....i.e. is Rivers that much of a loss in terms of bodies at the DE position? He's a fantastic athlete obviously, one we'd all like to have, but just in terms of DE #'s it doesn't seem like landing one less will hurt immediately or down the road. To me I'm more concerned about OT, getting another CB or that can contribute immediately, a solid QB and some WR's...oh yeah, and two RB's. I guess it hurts mainly because he's a stud, it's UGa, and he was a commit?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #110
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Given the talent at DE we landed last year (assuming enough players qualify) and the guys we are in on this year (assuming they stay committed) isn't DE not as much of a need....i.e. is Rivers that much of a loss in terms of bodies at the DE position? He's a fantastic athlete obviously, one we'd all like to have, but just in terms of DE #'s it doesn't seem like landing one less will hurt immediately or down the road. To me I'm more concerned about OT, getting another CB or that can contribute immediately, a solid QB and some WR's...oh yeah, and two RB's. I guess it hurts mainly because he's a stud, it's UGa, and he was a commit?
You can never have too many quality defensive linemen.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #111
thekob
Household Name

Male

Quote:
With a finite number of guys you can sign in your class and a finite number of guys you can have on scholarship, along with multiple other positions, yeah, you can.

Betcha all the Clemson fans were telling themselves "you can NEVER have too many linebackers" when they freakin signed SEVEN in one class.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #112
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved

Male

CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit

South Carolina extended its third offer to a class of 2015 in-state defensive lineman on Monday. The recipient, four-star DE Michael Barnett was surprised by the development.

Just read this
Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #113
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Top247 OL Tommy Hatton is visiting today, according to TBS.
not offered yet, but made it sound like he would commit if we do offer. I think they list him as a center.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #114
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
You are exactly right. If we get all those in the 2014 class to qualify, we are in excellent shape. We presently have 12 DE and 7 DT on scholly. Of these 19, only 1 (Surratt) will be a senior in 2014.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #115
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
no....coaches always have to balance classes as best they can to make sure there aren't too many in one position. We should have no more than 15 DL (4/22 X 82).....that's in a perfect world which obviously is not the case, but we have 19 now with only 1 senior and probably will have 3 in the 2015 class.....and you want to add even more on top of that.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #116
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Depends. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #117
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nm
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #118
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed. As long as we get 2-3 solid OTs, 2 RBs, a good QB and hang onto Blackshear, Pittman, an get Key it will be a great class. Anything on top of that is great.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #119
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29795000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Gotta compete in the SECCG next year or we'll lose our window. It'll begin to close soon if we can't capitalize.
Our "window" was the relative downturn UT, FSU and Miami had for a few years. Now they're recruiting better.

If UGA switches to a 4-3, there will only be a couple of defensive guys that we'll battle them for. We'll have more problems with Bama, Auburn, UF, UT, and FSU in the state of Georgia..
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #120
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

So how big of a deal is UGA switching to a 4-3 base defense in terms of our recruiting in GA, scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not a factor at all and 10 as important as it can be?

I am trying to think positively, but I think its probably like, an 8. Seems like we have plucked several good guys who were pure 4-3 DE's from that area and now that particular difference is gone.