CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
WeStillOwnUSC
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
Acockolypse Now
Interesting quotes f (2067)
Have you ever been s (1283)
Tennessee Offense Br (812)
Key for 2015 defense (769)
Women's Team Ranked (511)
This season and recr (441)
Skai Moore out for U (435)
Lebron makes Clevela (342)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (235)
For all the uniform (191)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In

Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Cooking accident

Cooking tip-

Never use identical pans at the same time when one of those pans has been in a 500 degree oven.

I was making seared duck breast w/ hoisin glaze over shiitake mushroom risotto.

I had rendered the fat on the range and and popped the breasts into the over for 8 minutes to finish cooking. Long story short I dumped the mushrooms into the risotto and had the duck breast cooling on the cutting board. I grabbed the hot pan without a mit thinking that it was the cool pan that had once contained the mushrooms.

Got a nasty 2nd degree burn on the palm of my hand and fingers. Cool water stopped the pain but after an hour in the water my hand was a prune so I pulled it out and bit my lip and cursed like a sailor for 30 minutes with a searing stabbing pain in my hand. Eventaully it bubbled up into huge blisters and the pain went away (might have also been the vicodin and bottle of Penfolds).

Good news is that after just one week my hand was pretty close to normal and after 2 weeks, you'd never know what a mess it once looked like.

Stay safe out there fellow Epicureans.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cooking accident

Glad it's better; burns are nothing to mess around with.

also been there done that! - not that bad
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

good advice...I had never thought about that as I use identical pans in and out of the oven all the time. Sorry about your burn and misery...but nothing a stout drink and hydrocodone can't alleviate!
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
good advice...I had never thought about that as I use identical pans in and out of the oven all the time. Sorry about your burn and misery...but nothing a stout drink and hydrocodone can't alleviate!

Thanks man. I ususally use my cast iron skillet for searing but I didn't want to infuse the flavor of the pan into the duck breast so I used a Calphalon pan instead.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
Glad it's better; burns are nothing to mess around with.

also been there done that! - not that bad
If not propperly treated one could lose dexterity and feeling in the burned area. Infection is the #1 concern. Never pop the blisters, they are natures bandaid and will prevent infrection while the burn heals.

My blisters popped on their own after about a week and by that time the healing had already occured.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Cooking tip-

Never use identical pans at the same time when one of those pans has been in a 500 degree oven.

I had rendered the fat on the range and and popped the breasts into the over for 8 minutes to finish cooking. Long story short I dumped the mushrooms into the risotto and had the duck breast cooling on the cutting board. I grabbed the hot pan without a mit thinking that it was the cool pan that had once contained the mushrooms.

Got a nasty 2nd degree burn on the palm of my hand and fingers. Cool water stopped the pain but after an hour in the water my hand was a prune so I pulled it out and bit my lip and cursed like a sailor for 30 minutes with a searing stabbing pain in my hand. Eventaully it bubbled up into huge blisters and the pain went away (might have also been the vicodin and bottle of Penfolds).

Good news is that after just one week my hand was pretty close to normal and after 2 weeks, you'd never know what a mess it once looked like.

Stay safe out there fellow Epicureans.
I've gotten a slight burn the same way but had nothing to do with identical pans, just dumb enough to grab it. I didn't really grab it though. I have a silicon piece that slips over the handle now. I put that on to pull them out and then just leave it on.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I had second degree burn on my arm from pulling an overloaded sheet pan of chicken out of a commercial stacked oven. Last time I ever wore long sleeves in a kitchen. Had long shirt under my uniform shirt and could not get it off before the grease seeped through. When shirt was pulled off ripped skin off. Had to have the burns scraped every other day for 2 weeks.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

That is really good advice for folks. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way have def. had my share of learning lessons in the kitchen. I think this should be a stickied thread so we can all post cooking advice for our fellow Gamecock Extended family.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Yikes, burns are a bitch

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I had second degree burn on my arm from pulling an overloaded sheet pan of chicken out of a commercial stacked oven. Last time I ever wore long sleeves in a kitchen. Had long shirt under my uniform shirt and could not get it off before the grease seeped through. When shirt was pulled off ripped skin off. Had to have the burns scraped every other day for 2 weeks.

Ouch. Did you pull the shirt off or did a doctor?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Happened to me back in the fall. The blister on my thumb didn't go down for over a month. I still have a permanent little shiny spot there. Never follow the old wive's tale of putting butter on it. That just insulates the burn. Do put it in ice water. I also put antibiotic ointment on it twice a day for a few weeks.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Back in high school when I worked concessions at the movie theater we constantly had to pop popcorn during our busy periods. Several times I would get careless and end up leaning my arm on the kettle which woul get up to 500 degrees. Hurt like a bitch.. The burn marks lasted for about 5 years.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Sorry for the injury. What about the meal?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Cooking tip-

Such a crazy coincidence- I actually just stubbed my toe on a 16th century dresser made of rich mahogany whilst smoking my pipe and postulating about the merits of T.S. Elliott's finer works.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Such a crazy coincidence- I actually just stubbed my toe on a 16th century dresser made of rich mahogany whilst smoking my pipe and postulating about the merits of T.S. Elliott's finer works.
Serves you right for thinking of Prufrock naked.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb

Quote:
If not propperly treated one could lose dexterity and feeling in the burned area. Infection is the #1 concern. Never pop the blisters, they are natures bandaid and will prevent infrection while the burn heals.

My blisters popped on their own after about a week and by that time the healing had already occured.

So what I'd like to know is........did you have fun pulling off the dead skin from your blister? That would have been my favorite part. Kind of like peeling off dead skin from a sunburn, etc, only this skin was probably thicker. When I was a kid I used to take a giant bottle of Elmers glue and squirt it to cover both my hands in a thick layer, allow it to dry, and then peel it off.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #17
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ouch. Did you pull the shirt off or did a doctor?
I was trying to pull it off as soon as it was happening but it had soaked through some spots. It ended up being about half the area between my elbow and shoulder if I hadn't it would have been the whole area minimum
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I semi-fainted in a hot kitchen once and sat down on open overn doors. My shorts saved my ass mostly, but I had two stripes accross my calves for 6 months.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1072
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Not a fan of burns at all. I once burned the whole palm of my hand while attempting to crank up my dad's push mower when I was 10. I pulled the cord and it jerked back. I fell over and the palm of my hand went right on top of the hot as F*** muffler. That was 30 years ago and I still remember that pain like it was yesterday.

Sorry it doesn't relate to cooking, but I read all the posts of guys getting burned and that's the first memory that pops into my head.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #20
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote