CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
WeStillOwnUSC
GSC2013
18IsTheMan
Yearofthegamecock
eightohhthree
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
highstick
ccured
"It just hurts, (4033)
Shout out to JT Surr (2464)
Don't underestimate (1934)
AP Poll (1754)
The Refs (1729)
Richt asking the SEC (1357)
A tribute to the &qu (1355)
Shon Carson (1279)
Spurrier's newest vi (1256)
The CBS Sports Inter (1217)
Stadium atmosphere
"It just hurts, man!
Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky
ESPN is mad that USC beat
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Worse 1st and goal play:
Dylan Thompson has been n
Robin William's fakes dea
AP Poll
Tired of Sandstorm?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #21
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

CockyCash: 200
eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree
Default Re: Cooking accident

Always wear a glove while prepping hotter variety peppers. Even oil from deseeding a few good jalapeņos can linger for several hours. Different kind of cooking burn. Same remedy. Cold water and plenty of booze.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
ds401
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

AquaPhor is great for burns and healing and prevention of scarring.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #23
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Cooking tip-

Never use identical pans at the same time when one of those pans has been in a 500 degree oven.

I was making seared duck breast w/ hoisin glaze over shiitake mushroom risotto.

I had rendered the fat on the range and and popped the breasts into the over for 8 minutes to finish cooking. Long story short I dumped the mushrooms into the risotto and had the duck breast cooling on the cutting board. I grabbed the hot pan without a mit thinking that it was the cool pan that had once contained the mushrooms.

Got a nasty 2nd degree burn on the palm of my hand and fingers. Cool water stopped the pain but after an hour in the water my hand was a prune so I pulled it out and bit my lip and cursed like a sailor for 30 minutes with a searing stabbing pain in my hand. Eventaully it bubbled up into huge blisters and the pain went away (might have also been the vicodin and bottle of Penfolds).

Good news is that after just one week my hand was pretty close to normal and after 2 weeks, you'd never know what a mess it once looked like.

Stay safe out there fellow Epicureans.

So, would it be out of the question to suggest that "burned fingers and palm of hand" do not go with seared duck breast and shiitake mushrooms?

Sorry for your accident, I hope that you get better soon and you can get back into the kitchen. Good idea about the pans, never thought about it that way, but it does make sense. I don't cook a lot inside anymore as it is tough to cook for one person, but I do grill from time to time and usually eat on that for a couple of days. Just cooked up a bunch of good deer meat on the grill.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #24
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Cleaning the flat top grill one day after work. We would pour a little bacon grease on the grill while it was still hot and scrub the grill to clean it. Well, I was being careless and as I was scrubbing, I pushed the grease into the backstop of the grill and it splashed onto my hand. I had a blister on my pinkie finger that had to be over a quarter inch high. Hurt like a bitch. As others have said, as soon as I got home, I took a big swig of vodka which actually gave me a big sense of relief.

I always had a fear of slipping in the kitchen and my hand falling into the deep fryer. Has to be one of the scariest things I can think of.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
Wackums
Walk On

Male

Wackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his claws

Mustard is a good thing for burns... crazy I know.. but it works to take the burning sensation away.
Wackums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #26
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Not a fan of burns at all. I once burned the whole palm of my hand while attempting to crank up my dad's push mower when I was 10. I pulled the cord and it jerked back. I fell over and the palm of my hand went right on top of the hot as F*** muffler. That was 30 years ago and I still remember that pain like it was yesterday.

Sorry it doesn't relate to cooking, but I read all the posts of guys getting burned and that's the first memory that pops into my head.

And to think I thought burning my finger on the hot engine of a riding lawn mower was bad........Ouch!

Gapo
GapoGamecock51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #27
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

I also remember having a counter top oven....I put something in it to eat, and when I pulled it out instead of pulling the tray straight out, I pulled it and lifted up. The oven used these rods on the front and back of the inside to heat the food. My finger touched the front rod and cooked a dime size spot on my middle or fourth finger (scar isn't that visible now.) Hurt like heck. And yes, I picked the blister and scab..........I also gashed my foot on a metal cabinet, have a scar from hot cooking grease, got my foot caught in the pedal of a stationary bike and cut my foot open. And I have a spot on one of my eyebrows where I hit my head and had to have stitches.

Gapo
GapoGamecock51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #28
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Not a cooking incident but the worst blisters I ever got so I will share. I am red headed and fair skin. When I was 6 iirc my day care did not apply the sunscreen my mother sent with me. We spent all day outside at the pool. I ended up with blisters on my shoulders over three inches on my shoulders. My mom said how tall they were I don't remember but I remember the blisters them selves because I stayed out of school for a full week and had to wear my step dad's sleeves shirts. The 80s cool with the sides cut out as well
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #29
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Always wear a glove while prepping hotter variety peppers. Even oil from deseeding a few good jalapeņos can linger for several hours. Different kind of cooking burn. Same remedy. Cold water and plenty of booze.
Dip your hands in a 5:1 solution of water to bleach. Then wash with normal soap and water.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #30
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Sorry for the injury. What about the meal?
THe meal was really good. Due to the accident,the duck breasts rested too long and were slightly overcooked but by that time I didn't really care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuroftheMoment View Post
So what I'd like to know is........did you have fun pulling off the dead skin from your blister? That would have been my favorite part. Kind of like peeling off dead skin from a sunburn, etc, only this skin was probably thicker. When I was a kid I used to take a giant bottle of Elmers glue and squirt it to cover both my hands in a thick layer, allow it to dry, and then peel it off.

Funny that you ask that. I too enjoyed doing that as a kid and got some strange joy from doing to my hand blisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
So, would it be out of the question to suggest that "burned fingers and palm of hand" do not go with seared duck breast and shiitake mushrooms?

Sorry for your accident, I hope that you get better soon and you can get back into the kitchen. Good idea about the pans, never thought about it that way, but it does make sense. I don't cook a lot inside anymore as it is tough to cook for one person, but I do grill from time to time and usually eat on that for a couple of days. Just cooked up a bunch of good deer meat on the grill.
I love to grill up some bacon wrapped backstrap.

Last edited by gamecockphan; 02-20-2014 at 12:17 PM.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #31
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
Very good advice. I made this mistake one time when I was making up some Armadillo Eggs. (Take jalapenos have and seed them, fill with cream cheese, wrap with bacon and then grill. I usually start the bacon off in the microwave and then just grill enough so bacon gets crispy without cheese getting too runny.) Long story short, I chopped and seeded a bunch of peppers and then forgot to wash my hands before using the restroom. That was not a fun experience.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #32
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds401 View Post
AquaPhor is great for burns and healing and prevention of scarring.
so is the aloe plant- watch not to stain clothes or other skin
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #33
cocksfan4ever
Cock of the Lake

Male

CockyCash: 4311755
cocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot materialcocksfan4ever is USC mascot material

I just cut the tip off of the middle finger on my right hand. I was slicing scalloped potatoes and sliced about 3/16 of an inch right off. Er several stitches and 10 or more hydrocodones later here I am out of work.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #34
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksfan4ever View Post
I just cut the tip off of the middle finger on my right hand. I was slicing scalloped potatoes and sliced about 3/16 of an inch right off. Er several stitches and 10 or more hydrocodones later here I am out of work.
Ouch, done that to my thumb before, not quite that bad, but my left thumb is slightly shorter than my right these days.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #35
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

NotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot material

Worst cooking accident I've ever had was burning my fingertips on frozen waffles in my toaster... I am not a talented cook.
NotKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #36
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

When I was younger I was at some sort of party or event that had a large campfire that everyone was roasting hotdogs and marshmallows on. I wanted to roast a hotdog so I obviously needed something to put it on. Somebody had left their metal rod in the fire and it was the first available or I saw. I pulled it out and went to put my hotdog on. Without thinking about I grabbed the end that had been I the fire with my thumb, index, and middle finger on my left hand. Incredibly painful. I went to sleep with a cold towel in my hand. From the scars I can still tell what position my hand was in when I squeezed it.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #37
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksfan4ever View Post
i ran my hand through a meat slicer when I was 20. My ring finger and pinky were sliced all the way down to the first knuckle and into the nail. They super glued the cut and said it would probably fall off but it healed
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #38
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
i ran my hand through a meat slicer when I was 20. My ring finger and pinky were sliced all the way down to the first knuckle and into the nail. They super glued the cut and said it would probably fall off but it healed
I worked in the deli at Publix and I'm amazed that I still have all ten digits.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #39
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
so is the aloe plant- watch not to stain clothes or other skin
My parents have a big ass aloe plant in their house and anytime when I was growing up one of us would get a burn, we would cut off a piece of it and apply... works well.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #40
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

One time I was broiling a goose whilst preparing a balsamic honey demi glaze and basil mentholyptus cous cous (you know- just typical stuff). I over indulged in the Chteau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac (no worries- only $300 a bottle so it's cheapie cooking stuff). Well, long story short, I ended up falling, my entire head penetrated the goose's sphincter and it caused some pretty nasty 2nd to 3rd degree burns spanning from my chest to the tippy top of my head! Hehe what a day!
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote