CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Spurticus
b381l
sanford
thekob
B-G
usc1
markp_vip
TAFC 5 1981
Master Bedroom
Lattimore Sidelined (1063)
Gurley or Davis (1043)
Expect A Healthy Dos (826)
Steve Spurrier - Say (773)
Coach's media golf p (491)
A house just blew up (360)
college football mat (355)
South Carolina Footb (355)
Minda Kacinas Q& (180)
iPhone repair (150)
Expect A Healthy Dose of
college football match up
iPhone repair
Gamecock Showcase Attende
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Official SEC Network and
2014-15 Premier League se
3-4 defense my interpreta
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Kick e'm Horns!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
kdog29902
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
kdog29902 has hatched from the shell
Default Columbia School Districts

So my girlfriend is applying for teaching jobs in the Columbia area. Does anyone have any insight into certain schools districts and schools that would help out? She currently teaches 6th grade language arts in Mississippi. She's worried about getting a job at a school that does not have a good reputation.
kdog29902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Columbia School Districts

Richland One. Crayton Middle.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 1065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

School of hard knocks sucks. Don't go there.
etowngangsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

If she's going to try to for Richland One I would try for Crayton Middle or Hand Middle. Wouldn't do anything other than those two in Richland One. Can't go wrong with most of them in Richland Lexington 5. I can't give you specific schools in that one but it's a good district.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

As a teacher, I certainly hope she would be more receptive to teaching anywhere and making a difference....The lower income and "bad reputation" schools far out number the ones she seems to be looking for. Lots of great kids and schools that just need good and caring teachers.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I'm a middle school teacher in the area. You can PM me if you wish

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockNeal View Post
As a teacher, I certainly hope she would be more receptive to teaching anywhere and making a difference....The lower income and "bad reputation" schools far out number the ones she seems to be looking for. Lots of great kids and schools that just need good and caring teachers.

Problem is- a lot of those bad reputation schools are places where the teachers are not provided the tools needed to teach, forcing many teachers to go out and buy supplies out of their own pocket (and God bless those teachers who do)

Also, not every teacher is prepared to play the role of Michelle Pfeifer in Dangerous Minds. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but I think you get the point.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Problem is- a lot of those bad reputation schools are places where the teachers are not provided the tools needed to teach, forcing many teachers to go out and buy supplies out of their own pocket (and God bless those teachers who do)

Also, not every teacher is prepared to play the role of Michelle Pfeifer in Dangerous Minds. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration but I think you get the point.
I am well aware about buying supplies. However, there are many ways to assist this problem, if even encountered. Grant writing, fund raising and donations come to mind.

I realize that not everyone is cut out to be in the worst of the worst schools but I think all teachers should want to be challenged, to want to help and to not just limit themselves to only "great schools."
Old 02-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:

250/Year can't cover my supplies. I always spend my own money. As far as the pfeifer reference, that was a very unique situation. There are many teachers that get some results that don't have notoriety but i know you are aware of that

Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

I will say this...there are some posters here that have donated funds to schools to help but supplies for students. They should be commended for that. I'd rather the students have the money so the can get what they need

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
250/Year can't cover my supplies. I always spend my own money. As far as the pfeifer reference, that was a very unique situation. There are many teachers that get some results that don't have notoriety but i know you are aware of that
Yep. I think what im saying is that many people, including some friends, became doctors for the money and not to help people. As teachers, we dont get that option. We go into it because we want to further our kids and nation and are open to challenges. At least I hope thats the case.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

And then there's Common Core that will discourage some teachers from the profession, but something tells me I'd have to take thy conversation to a corner of the board that is nearly impossible to get access to.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Please elaborate on that statement because it would be easier for teachers who don't know the current standards to be trained in teaching with common core

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog29902 View Post
So my girlfriend is applying for teaching jobs in the Columbia area. Does anyone have any insight into certain schools districts and schools that would help out? She currently teaches 6th grade language arts in Mississippi. She's worried about getting a job at a school that does not have a good reputation.
A good place to start is just looking at some of the info on the school report cards from the state. These are not an end-all be-all assessment of a school, but it will give her an idea about the schools in Richland 1 and 2, and Lexington 1-5 school districts.

http://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Please elaborate on that statement because it would be easier for teachers who don't know the current standards to be trained in teaching with common core

I've seen many effective arguments against Common Core, and how it hamstrings teachers, removing their ability to teach according to their audience (meaning recognizing not all classes respond to an approach the same way- there is no one size fits all)

I actually teach adults often in my line of work (training) and I know that there can be no one size fits all. Every audience is different.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
I've seen many effective arguments against Common Core, and how it hamstrings teachers, removing their ability to teach according to their audience (meaning recognizing not all classes respond to an approach the same way- there is no one size fits all)

I actually teach adults often in my line of work (training) and I know that there can be no one size fits all. Every audience is different.
Pedagogy vs standards are not the same thing.

Your bolded statement is a sweeping generalization and is not a true statement. If teachers are taught to differentiate their instruction, their effectiveness will soar.

So, how do you differentiate your instruction in order to reach your multiple intelligences that you teach?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
If she's going to try to for Richland One I would try for Crayton Middle or Hand Middle. Wouldn't do anything other than those two in Richland One. Can't go wrong with most of them in Richland Lexington 5. I can't give you specific schools in that one but it's a good district.
Pretty much this. Crayton and Hand are good schools in good areas that feed into very strong high schools in Flora and Dreher.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Kershaw county has a lot of great choices and is very close to the NE area of Columbia. Always need good educators in SC, but I'm greedy! Want to herd them ALL to my county!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Pedagogy vs standards are not the same thing.

Your bolded statement is a sweeping generalization and is not a true statement. If teachers are taught to differentiate their instruction, their effectiveness will soar.

So, how do you differentiate your instruction in order to reach your multiple intelligences that you teach?

Hey, my bad- I'm only basing my opinion on some very impressive testimony I watched of teachers and students before some committees that I came across. They were very convincing.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Hey, my bad- I'm only basing my opinion on some very impressive testimony I watched of teachers and students before some committees that I came across. They were very convincing.
I saw some of those FB videos...not overly impressed. Here is the problem...you have people that are upset that their children are having to learn a new way to do something and saying "6" is not good enough without the explanation. It is frustrating to the kids and parents. IMO, this is what they should have done...let's say that they started the new standards in the 2013-2014. Teach it to the first graders only. Then, the next year, teach it to the first and the rising 2nd graders from the previous year and continue. What that does is it allows the curriculum to spiral correctly. Thrusting the new curriculum on 8th graders and expecting them to be able to do things based on a foundation that should have been built for the past 7 years...I think you get what I am trying to say.