CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
rosstheboss
3MTA3
Spurticus
Master Bedroom
WeStillOwnUSC
bigdog2003
Spurrier_Superior_On
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
**USC vs. USC-Upstat (1728)
2001 vs Sandstorm (1281)
Cunningham wants to (699)
Purple drank (474)
Clemson Georgia Game (261)
Horseshoes has been (259)
ESPN article on Clow (230)
Fumble party (197)
1964 World’s Fair (157)
Softball tops Georgi (150)
Clemson Georgia Game to b
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
ESPN article on Clowney -
Acock reviews the SEC Net
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2001 vs Sandstorm
Cunningham wants to hear
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle

Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #21
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier Interviewed about Clowney

Clowney doesn't have the best work ethic. It's no real secret. Doesn't take away from the fact that the man is insanely talented.
treys1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #22
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 4400
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

lol'd @ the genetic freak of all genetic freaks looking like a tub of lard at 21 years old because he didn't lift weights enough for a couple of months.

:)
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #23
cockywill09
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 647
cockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
The national talking heads are already spinning this to say that Spurrier was bashing Clowneys work eithic.

Cowherd said he has a source close to our school saying that Clowney had to always be watched closely and he was immature and not a leader, etc.
He sounded very mature when I talked with him on the phone Saturday night very nice guy. He was in town at longhorns my buddy was chilling with him there I called my buddy cause he told me he was sitting right next to him and he gave the phone to jd and we chatted for a couple of minutes. Highlight of my night
Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #24
cockywill09
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 647
cockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudly

Sorry about the run on sentences I'm going to bed and and I wanted to share that real fast my apologies.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockywill09 View Post
He sounded very mature when I talked with him on the phone Saturday night very nice guy. He was in town at longhorns my buddy was chilling with him there I called my buddy cause he told me he was sitting right next to him and he gave the phone to jd and we chatted for a couple of minutes. Highlight of my night
um...

^required reading in the South
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Basically that equates to. Clowney is a gamer. Some guys don't excel on the practice field because they get bored but in the game they dominate. That's Clowney.
Sorry, but that doesn't equate to being a gamer.

What it equates to is a talented athlete that was satisfied being a bit better than most of his compeitition, and didn't do the extra things needed to improve.

JD made some great plays here, and brought the program a lot of publicity. But the question about him will always be how good could he really have been if he'd worked harder?

We've had a lot of guys come in unheralded and greatly improve their stock. Unfortunately, we've also had more than our fair share of highly rated guys over the years who never really did anything great because they were lazy.

I'm hoping he gets to the league and tears it up, but it's equally as possible he gets complacent after getting his big payday and goes down in history as being a big a bust as Tony Mandarich.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I wish he would not do stuff like that with former players, especially before the draft.
Do you want him to lie?

People like Spurrier because he calls it like it is. He isn't going to give up his credibility just because someone might get their feelings hurt.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I think people are forgetting that there are very few people who worked as hard as Lattimore. That's just rare to find. I equate it to the Alshon situation. He probably didn't work as hard as he could have but he had the most talent of anyone and is doing just fine now in the NFL.

Both kids are cut from the same cloth...quiet, humble guys who just like to play football.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #29
rrsandersjr
4-Star

Male

rrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spursrrsandersjr has earned his spurs

He compares him to Kearse, Carter and Peppers...how does that hurt him? Coach Spurrier would have looked ridiculous if he had of answered the "work ethic" question any other way. He added that they had to tell him to let up in practice because the offense couldn't get anything done or for fear of hurting a starter.
rrsandersjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Both kids are cut from the same cloth...quiet, humble guys who just like to play football.
Yep....just good guys. I think USC handled it well with both of them all things considered.
And I don't know if we would have won any more games if either of them had worked as hard as someone like Connor.

The most important thing is that they leave feeling like they can come back and have friends here. Jadeveon likes SOS and that's a plus.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #31
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
He added that they had to tell him to let up in practice because the offense couldn't get anything done or for fear of hurting a starter.
And what does that do to someone's preparation for games? There have been numerous reports of him being pulled out during practice because no one could block him.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't equate to being a gamer.

What it equates to is a talented athlete that was satisfied being a bit better than most of his compeitition, and didn't do the extra things needed to improve.

JD made some great plays here, and brought the program a lot of publicity. But the question about him will always be how good could he really have been if he'd worked harder?

We've had a lot of guys come in unheralded and greatly improve their stock. Unfortunately, we've also had more than our fair share of highly rated guys over the years who never really did anything great because they were lazy.

I'm hoping he gets to the league and tears it up, but it's equally as possible he gets complacent after getting his big payday and goes down in history as being a big a bust as Tony Mandarich.
So in your mind if a player does not work out like Melvin Ingram or Swearinger, he is lazy.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

SOS told the truth and did his best to emphasize his ability on the field at the same time. There's nothing that he said that's earth shocking to anyone on this board, or to anyone in the NFL.

On Mike and Mike this morning one of them said that Spurrier was "excruciatingly honest" and made it sound like that was a bad thing. Amazing.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockywill09 View Post
well ok.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #35
CockyLifer
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervous

What this world needs is more honesty. Hats off to Spurrier for being REAL, unlike all of those fake personalities out there.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #36
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'm glad that Coach Spurrier told it like it is. The only thing I don't like is how the media puts their spin on it.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

If he had said Clowney was extremely hard working the media would just say it's obvious that isn't true. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Saying someone's work ethic is "ok" is not saying they are lazy.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #38
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

JD had to know before he even got here that he'd be a top 10 pick based off his speed & size alone at that position. It's not like he wasn't working out, doing drills with his teammates. Maybe he just half assed it a few times. No different than probably half the other guys on the team. We got guys who smoke green in the offseson, slack off, drink, etc. Like many majority of normal college students. Like Spurrier said. Not everyones a Marcus Lattimore, Stephon Gilmore, or Melvin Ingram. You have guys like that on the team who influence the other guys to step up their game. It's just not in Clowney's make up. He's a physical specimen. The fact he had to be removed from practices pretty much told him "Hey your pretty darn good, we gotta take you out just to run our plays"
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #39
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
If he had said Clowney was extremely hard working the media would just say it's obvious that isn't true. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Saying someone's work ethic is "ok" is not saying they are lazy.
The media is so used to coaches lying, they think Spurrier is exaggerating about JD having an acceptable or good work ethic, which is what SOS actually said.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #40
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
So in your mind if a player does not work out like Melvin Ingram or Swearinger, he is lazy.
Why wouldn't they be?

Some guys are physically gifted, and have enough talent to get by with little or no extra effort. Derek Watson admitted in an interview that he never lifted weights in HS, and simply went through the motions here working out, because he felt like he didn't need to.

JD's one of those rare guys who are off the charts athletically. It's pretty clear he didn't put forth a Lattimore or Swearinger effort working out, and he was still a very good player.

Just think what he could've been with more effort? He clearly didn't look as quick this year, and I'm not overly sure I totally believe that he was asked to take it easy because we couldn't run plays.

What effect did his not putting out the effort have on other players? Quarles admitted he needed to step it up and put out more effort, who else might have slacked a bit because they were too caught up in the JD attention whirlwind?

I loved watching the guy play, he's one of those once in a lifetime talents that you're lucky to get to watch. And he apparently is a very nice young man, my stepdaughter knew him and always commented on how polite and friendly he is. But he even admitted himself if he had it all to do over again, he'd listen more to his coaches and follow their advice.