CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
ccured
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1908)
Can Tennessee get to (1298)
ESPN Article on HBC (1058)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (855)
Spread vs. aTm (801)
2 Crazy things (796)
Lindy's top 100 for (754)
Chick Redefines the (740)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (634)
The Bama series (518)
Name a Gamecock
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Get it while it's hot
2 Crazy things
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina

Old 02-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dante sawyer to go juco route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Hope y'all hold on to him when he gets done with JUCO
Why wouldn't we? He's not going anywhere.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
CockyLifer
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervousCockyLifer is making other chickens nervous

Damn.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Wish it could have gone the prep route rather than JUCO. I also hope we place him in a school that has tight ties to us, we need to hang on to him.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #24
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
may not have the grades to qualify regardless...it is my understanding and I could be wrong, that you go to JUCO when you can't make grades but go to prep if you need test scores to improve. That may be oversimplifying the situation but that is my impression.
This is correct.
doc
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #25
Thenardier
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPitThenardier rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Why wouldn't we? He's not going anywhere.
You'd be surprised. If he does a great job during his time at JUCO, other teams could become interested. Most players who go the JUCO route don't sign with the team that originally recruited them.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #26
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Good luck Dante and come back home to Columbia in a year.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #27
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
You'd be surprised. If he does a great job during his time at JUCO, other teams could become interested. Most players who go the JUCO route don't sign with the team that originally recruited them.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #28
roosterdude21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
roosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPitroosterdude21 rules the CockPit

Would have been great to get in the mix
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #29
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCgamecock92 View Post
Per TBS. Expected to enroll at USC in 2015
I don't understand how he can enroll in 2015. He has to stay at JUCO for at least 3 semesters. Seems to me like the earliest he can enroll in January 2016. This means he was nowhere close.....what the hell happened to the plan.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #30
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I don't understand how he can enroll in 2015. He has to stay at JUCO for at least 3 semesters. Seems to me like the earliest he can enroll in January 2016. This means he was nowhere close.....what the hell happened to the plan.
I understood the intent was fall semester 2014, spring semester 2015 and summer session 2015.

Actually, I understand he was enrolling in JUCO either today or tomorrow somehow.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #31
carolina_corpsman
4-Star

Male

carolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervouscarolina_corpsman is making other chickens nervous

Am I completely out of line when I say that I can NOT understand how these kids are not eligible? That is their only job and in return they get a free education, free room and board, and possibly a shot at the NFL. How can you be sure they will put in the work to stay eligible? Or if they can't be bothered to make decent grades can we trust them to do the work they need in the weight room...

Maybe I am wrong?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #32
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Am I completely out of line when I say that I can NOT understand how these kids are not eligible? That is their only job and in return they get a free education, free room and board, and possibly a shot at the NFL. How can you be sure they will put in the work to stay eligible? Or if they can't be bothered to make decent grades can we trust them to do the work they need in the weight room...

Maybe I am wrong?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
a lot of them do very poorly in the 9th and 10th grades before they have figured out how good they are, then it's hard to make that up.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #33
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

He gone... Hate to say it but kids we recruit who go strait to juco usually don't come back. Prep kids do but not juco.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 AM   #34
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
From what I heard its not that bad. He got his GED and already enrolled. This semester counts. So he will be a gamecock the following summer with 4 years to play 3.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

We used to have a pretty good relationship with Ga. Military College as a JUCO. We've has several players that signed with us, then went there and re-signed with us. I don't know where he's going or what the options are, but we have had success in the past with this. Its too bad we don't have a good JUCO program somewhere in Columbia where we could keep an eye on them and kind of keep them in the loop.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #36
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
a lot of them do very poorly in the 9th and 10th grades before they have figured out how good they are, then it's hard to make that up.
Well said.

People have to remember, a lot of kids that get recruited come from shaky home situations, or go to shaky schools. In a lot of cases they may not have anyone in their family or role models who have graduated high school, much less college. Once you're behind the 8 ball, it's difficult to make up ground.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
From what I heard its not that bad. He got his GED and already enrolled. This semester counts. So he will be a gamecock the following summer with 4 years to play 3.

Regalcock explained it well. The guys on 107.5 said yesterday he enrolled in a juco in Mississippi.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #38
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I hope he stays with us.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #39
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGamecock3307 View Post
He gone... Hate to say it but kids we recruit who go strait to juco usually don't come back. Prep kids do but not juco.
Ronnie Martin and Jhaustin Thomas say, "what up, dog."

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #40
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Ronnie Martin and Jhaustin Thomas say, "what up, dog."
True. A few come back and I hope sawyer is one of um.

But Duane Chisholm, Leon Mackey, Chris Payne, Javon Bell, Brandon Golson, Duvon Millsap, Quincey McKinney, and Joe Harris all say peace.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote