CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
4Runner
kingofnerf
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
ReadR00ster
QCB
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3237)
Juco QBs? (1209)
SDS grades the Furma (928)
we can STILL win the (925)
Auburn/USC point spr (815)
How do you want Aubu (709)
Whenever I Get Depre (666)
If the Head Ball Coa (558)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (342)
When did it change ? (256)
Cann tipping plays?
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Shamiek Sheppard (2014 Pr
If the Head Ball Coach re
Juco QBs?
Auburn/USC point spread
Williams and Mitch
How do you want Auburn to
we can STILL win the east
Just started playing &quo

Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: The case for Clowney at #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Really? I could have sworn the defense was the reason the Seahawks won the Superbowl.
Doesn't hurt that Russell Wilson is a two time Pro Bowler and had 26 Tds, 9 Ints and a 101 QB rating this year.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #22
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Elaborate as to why they aren't a dime a dozen? There will sure be plenty in this years draft, maybe not as good as the ones in last years, but still will be plenty.My point is, you can get a QB in any round in any draft. How many times can you get a Clowney?
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.
I've got to agree with you. Sure Wilson isn't an elite QB, but look at the guys who have won recently... Brees, Brady, Manning. Hell, Peyton had te best statistics of a QB ever this year and lead his team to a Super Bowl appearance. It most certainly is a QB driven league. This dude saying QBs are a dime a dozen is insane.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Doesn't hurt that Russell Wilson is a two time Pro Bowler and had 26 Tds, 9 Ints and a 101 QB rating this year.
Peyton Manning was a multiple pro bowler with 55 Tds and 10 ints with a 110 QB rating, that didn't seem to apply much in that game.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #25
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I've got to agree with you. Sure Wilson isn't an elite QB, but look at the guys who have won recently... Brees, Brady, Manning. Hell, Peyton had te best statistics of a QB ever this year and lead his team to a Super Bowl appearance. It most certainly is a QB driven league. This dude saying QBs are a dime a dozen is insane.
11 QBs were drafted last year, will be about the same this year. Again how many Clowney's?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #26
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
The term "QB driven league" Is thrown around way too much without any substantial evidence or reasoning to back it up.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #27
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Elaborate as to why they aren't a dime a dozen? There will sure be plenty in this years draft, maybe not as good as the ones in last years, but still will be plenty.My point is, you can get a QB in any round in any draft. How many times can you get a Clowney?
A good QB is not a dime a dozen. The days of Average QBs winning Super Bowls are over. (Wilson is not average, not elite yet but his stat line and ability have been far from Averge) Houston had the 7th ranked defense in the NFL this year, that didn't help them much because they were incompetent offensively.

The question that needs to be answered is what do the Texans scouts think?
Do they believe that one of the QBs (Manziel, Bortles or Teddy) is that next level prospect, or do they do they go with Clowney.
Of course on a message board for our school people will say Clowney, but you don't know what those scouts will think until draft day.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #28
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Peyton Manning was a multiple pro bowler with 55 Tds and 10 ints with a 110 QB rating, that didn't seem to apply much in that game.
You don't seem to make very good arguments.
I was just saying Russell Wilson is very good quarterback.

Also regarding the QB driven league, look at all the new rules that the nfl is enforcing. You can barely breathe on some QBs without a flag being thrown.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #29
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
You don't seem to make very good arguments.
I was just saying Russell Wilson is very good quarterback.

Also regarding the QB driven league, look at all the new rules that the nfl is enforcing. You can barely breathe on some QBs without a flag being thrown.
I see that and think of safety, not necessarily it meaning the league is QB driven. I will say the rules are more strict on the QB, but the QB is one of the most helpless individuals on the field other than the kicker.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
11 QBs were drafted last year, will be about the same this year. Again how many Clowney's?
Amount of QBs drafted doesn't equate to "dime a dozen"
How many of those 11 will make a serious impact on their team?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #31
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Amount of QBs drafted doesn't equate to "dime a dozen"
How many of those 11 will make a serious impact on their team?
Well you could honestly say that about any position.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #32
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I see that and think of safety, not necessarily it meaning the league is QB driven. I will say the rules are more strict on the QB, but the QB is one of the most helpless individuals on the field other than the kicker.
Part of it's safety, part of it is marketing.
QBs are the money makers, the NFL is happier when Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning are throwing the ball around than JJ Watt or Clay Matthews hitting people.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #33
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Well you could honestly say that about any position.
So any position is a dime a dozen?

You're really not using that term right.
Comparing a number of QBs drafted (maybe 2 make an actually impact on a roster) to one elite talent isn't the right way to put that .

Basically I see it this way, if you're in a draft do you take Andrew Luck or Jadeveon Clowney. Of course they are not in the same draft, but what do the Texans think?
Do they think one of those guys is the next Luck?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #34
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Russell Wilson is the man because his hands are so large. That is what I learned yesterday. Hand size is more important than height and arm strength
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Russell Wilson is the man because his hands are so large. That is what I learned yesterday. Hand size is more important than height and arm strength
Dude can spin it too.

I think his success will open the door for a lot.
Dude was a great college QB that scouts put down because of his height . Same said for Drew Brees. Especially with the newer rules, I think you'll see more like him get a chance now. Granted scouts will still drool over physical freaks like Logan Thomas even if they are god awful in games.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #36
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Big hands is key for a variety of reasons.Big hands allow better grip when running outside like Manziel did in college. Big hands allow more ball control.Look at Nick Foles accuracy. Chip Kelly said a few years ago it was the most important attribute he looked for in a qb throwing.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #37
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

I can see why my QBs are dime a dozen argument is catching heat, but the title of this thread is the case for Clowney at #1.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #38
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
I can see why my QBs are dime a dozen argument is catching heat, but the title of this thread is the case for Clowney at #1.
So people can't debate who they think will go one?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #39
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
So people can't debate who they think will go one?
No one said that, just pointing out every argument I am making is the case for Clowney at #1.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #40
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

The argument for who goes #1 boils down to what is the biggest need the Texans are trying to fill? Often the "best overall player" is not picked #1.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote