CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
l^l^lBGCock
smoovecock
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
Travelin
GamecockSuperFan
taylorssc
doubledribble
cocks are us
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2784)
Gamecockology Helms (987)
SEC QB's in the Red (970)
Little know stat (We (960)
Where do you like to (530)
We're going to the N (504)
Amelia Earhart Plane (291)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (209)
This season and recr (194)
Anyone have a recipe (193)
Lose to Clemson, or to Te
Tennessee - South Carolin
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Have you ever been so wro
What does it take to win?
Interesting quotes from D
Uniforms for Tenn
official UFC thread. (new
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
Tennessee Offense Breakdo

Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
6pack
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
6pack has feathers coming in6pack has feathers coming in
Default I don't get the Clowney hate

Clowney seems like a good guy who only wants to play the best game he possibly can. The guy is gifted and a true genetic freak, albeit with a bit of work ethic problem. But I imagine he'll find the motivation once he gets drafted and has to perform at the next level. I find him to be an extremely positive, motivating individual. Apart from personal team bias, I can't see why anyone, especially the ESPN pundits and members of the media who built him up in the first place, would outright hate him or want to tear him down.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: I don't get the Clowney hate

Personally, I don't think he has a "Work Ethic" problem. Gifted athletes are often labeled with that because they don't have to work so hard to be good.
The game is easier for them than most people.

Could he be even better if he worked harder? Probably, but I would take a player like him every year and be happy.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
6pack
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCock View Post
Personally, I don't think he has a "Work Ethic" problem. Gifted athletes are often labeled with that because they don't have to work so hard to be good.
The game is easier for them than most people.

Could he be even better if he worked harder? Probably, but I would take a player like him every year and be happy.
My thoughts exactly. Yeah he can definitely improve but he's already an outstanding player as is. I'm excited to see what he does in the NFL. He's got the potential to be a breakout star IMO.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I hope certain comments don't effect his draft stock.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
6pack
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
I hope certain comments don't effect his draft stock.
I might be acting too optimistic but I think he'll show out at the combine and prove to everyone he's worth every bit of the hype.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 800
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

The measure of a defensive player is how much he disrupts the opposing offense. Clowney certainly has done this during his time with the Cocks. Sure he had "better numbers" his soph year, but he was disruptive his jr year in a different way. All year long, the offenses had to plan for Clowney. They would use multiple blocking schemes to try to contain him. They would run the ball away from him. They would shorten pass routes to get rid of the ball as quickly as they could to avoid his rush.

So, even though he did not have the "big numbers" this year, he still was a force to be reckoned. I am sure the NFL scouts know what talent Clowney has, and have a good idea how good he will be in the next level.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
6pack
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
The measure of a defensive player is how much he disrupts the opposing offense. Clowney certainly has done this during his time with the Cocks. Sure he had "better numbers" his soph year, but he was disruptive his jr year in a different way. All year long, the offenses had to plan for Clowney. They would use multiple blocking schemes to try to contain him. They would run the ball away from him. They would shorten pass routes to get rid of the ball as quickly as they could to avoid his rush.

So, even though he did not have the "big numbers" this year, he still was a force to be reckoned. I am sure the NFL scouts know what talent Clowney has, and have a good idea how good he will be in the next level.
Agreed. He was getting double and triple teamed, not to mention held on several occasions, this season so it's no wonder his numbers weren't what they were last season. The fact that he was still able to disrupt offenses this season with those obstacles against him speaks volumes about his ability and presence as a player.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Why do you build me up (build me up) Buttercup, baby
Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around
And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
You know that I have from the start
So build me up (build me up) Buttercup, don't break my heart
Old 02-23-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

Hope they keep talking and he falls in Atlanta's lap
Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 AM   #10
6pack
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
I'm thinking he either ends up in Houston or Atlanta. Some mock draft had him going to Jacksonville which would be a waste of his talent.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

BigOrangeCrush has hatched from the shell

From an outside fan view, I thought Clowney did fine this year. The UNC game where the O lineman took the cheap shot might have gotten in his head a little and in his defense, whose head wouldn't it had gotten in after seeing what happened to Lattimore the previous year. He still was a beast and will be a beast in the league...those that pass on him, other than those needing a QB, will regret it and rightfully so.
BigOrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

To me the biggest thing that hurt Clowney this past year was the loss of Lawing. I don't really think Adams added a thing to him.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed...Please no Jasonville. ..
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
To me the biggest thing that hurt Clowney this past year was the loss of Lawing. I don't really think Adams added a thing to him.
This, Adams didn't put his foot down on the lacking work ethic neither did Whammy for that matter. Those first 5 games proved that with that Albert Haynesworth conditioning, and the next the line of excuses that followed. GMs look at that and work ethic is a something that is highly valued.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

my issue with the work ethic bashing is the coaches publicly said they held him out of practices because he didn't need it. that is on coaches you always need practice that is were your work ethic is tested
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
Clowney seems like a good guy who only wants to play the best game he possibly can. The guy is gifted and a true genetic freak, albeit with a bit of work ethic problem. But I imagine he'll find the motivation once he gets drafted and has to perform at the next level. I find him to be an extremely positive, motivating individual. Apart from personal team bias, I can't see why anyone, especially the ESPN pundits and members of the media who built him up in the first place, would outright hate him or want to tear him down.

The main reason for all the Clowney hate is because of those who have gone before him.

History is not on Mr. Clowney's side.

Nothing disappoints quite like a sure thing that does not live up to expectations.

So no body is going to come out publically and support JD when it is easier to point out his weaknesses and faults.

- They say he does not take football, training or conditioning seriously.

- He made boastful comments at last year's media day to call out opposing teams' players.

- He smiles too much for a defensive player.

- He only had 3 sacks last year.

- He does not drop back into coverage (???).

- Teams can run right at him.

- He has been hyped too much in his Junior Year while other DEs have not received such attention.

- Too much Flash, not enough sizzle over the course of games.

- Takes plays off in college.

- Does not play to the whistle on plays.

- Sometimes has his hands on his hips.

- Did not care about going to class (???).

- Enjoys the spotlight (???).

- Speeding Tickets (???).

- Makes excuses for injuries and missed games.

- Clowney may have hit his peak in his sophomore season.

In truth, Clowney has all the warning signs of a Ryan Leaf, Daunte Culpepper, Brian Bosworth, Steve Emtman, Courtney Brown, Mike Mamula, etc. - to people who only watch Sportcenter and listen to twitter "news"

Can a team afford to draft a player who may have hit his highest potential in his second season of college football? What happens when such a player is given millions of dollars and the white-hot spotlight of media attention?

vs.

Can a team afford to pass on a DE who will only get better with NFL training, is a physical freak and is faster than some offensive skill players?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack View Post
I'm thinking he either ends up in Houston or Atlanta. Some mock draft had him going to Jacksonville which would be a waste of his talent.
Lots of talk about Atlanta potentially trading up to get him at 1 or 2.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Lots of talk about Atlanta potentially trading up to get him at 1 or 2.
While I like that thought, I honestly do not see the Texans passing on him.

Yes, they need a QB but the Top QBs have their own "Red Flags" as well.

You have what has been described as "A Once In A Decade Player", coming from the same school that the owner graduated from, I don't see them passing up that player.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
6pack
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
The main reason for all the Clowney hate is because of those who have gone before him.

History is not on Mr. Clowney's side.

Nothing disappoints quite like a sure thing that does not live up to expectations.

So no body is going to come out publically and support JD when it is easier to point out his weaknesses and faults.

- They say he does not take football, training or conditioning seriously.

- He made boastful comments at last year's media day to call out opposing teams' players.

- He smiles too much for a defensive player.

- He only had 3 sacks last year.

- He does not drop back into coverage (???).

- Teams can run right at him.

- He has been hyped too much in his Junior Year while other DEs have not received such attention.

- Too much Flash, not enough sizzle over the course of games.

- Takes plays off in college.

- Does not play to the whistle on plays.

- Sometimes has his hands on his hips.

- Did not care about going to class (???).

- Enjoys the spotlight (???).

- Speeding Tickets (???).

- Makes excuses for injuries and missed games.

- Clowney may have hit his peak in his sophomore season.

In truth, Clowney has all the warning signs of a Ryan Leaf, Daunte Culpepper, Brian Bosworth, Steve Emtman, Courtney Brown, Mike Mamula, etc. - to people who only watch Sportcenter and listen to twitter "news"

Can a team afford to draft a player who may have hit his highest potential in his second season of college football? What happens when such a player is given millions of dollars and the white-hot spotlight of media attention?

vs.

Can a team afford to pass on a DE who will only get better with NFL training, is a physical freak and is faster than some offensive skill players?
Excellent points. In today's society we're so cynical and bitter that the second we see somebody with the potential to be great, even though as you said history might be against him, our instincts are to point out every single little flaw they have as opposed to looking at his positive attributes. Now Clowney might come to the league and not have a stellar first season or he might be a breakout star. Either way he has the fortitude and ability to become an excellent pro and I believe that NFL scouts and owners will see this at the combine.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hell no! Keep him away from Atlanta.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote