CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
ConwayGamecock
Sandstorm29
Gamecocks1137
Cocks N Stuff
Travelin
aftertwobowls
Cockypantherfan
CoverTwo
cockybreeyan
The U ends apparel d (1129)
Marquavius Lewis (858)
Wilds & Carson B (839)
How Long Will The Re (594)
2015 - Jeremiah Dins (389)
Restaurant musts in (372)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (303)
S & F article on (285)
Spurrier Says " (226)
JC Shurburtt was jus (142)
Holiday Desserts
Restaurant musts in NYC
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 - Jeremiah Dinson -
Marquavius Lewis
Wilds & Carson Back f
2015 Signee - Darin Small
2015 - Mark Fields
How Long Will The Rebuild
Bowl Tickets On Sale Now

Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #21
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: In Mens basketball

Gregg Marshall coached at Winthrop and Wichita State he didn't coach at a Power Conference School same as Darrin Horn they are mid major coaches nothing more nothing less. I'm glad we got Coach Martin let the Gregg Marshall stuff die if Hyman didn't go after him he must have had very good reasons.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM   #22
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
...how much better are we now than before ? I understand that there was a downward spiral under Horn and it was a failed staff. The problem is we are no better as a team than we were then. I will accept that Frank Martin had a better resume and has brought in different players but the records are no better and the crowds are still smaller. This is a sport where one or two good players can make a big difference with a good supporting cast but I just don't see that transpiring. I am not a "doubting Debbie" so to speak but when I look into the crystal ball, I don't see Frank as our road map to success. We passed on Greg Marshall twice for what ever reason and the guy has produced everywhere and we haven't. If we are better off now than we were under Horn (and I am no Horn fan by a long shot ) then please explain how ? I think we made the wrong hire twice and the next time we need to get it right. Don't give me the "Rome wasn't built in a day " crap. We are not building Rome.....
We are a team of 7 freshmen and 5 sophomores. There was not a single person outside of the delusional basketball fans on here that thought we would be good this year. Most analysts didn't think Thornwell would even make as big of an impact as he has had to this year. It takes time to develop a post game since we are not outrecruiting Florida, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke. If you haven't seen any improvement from L-Chat, Brenton, Kacinas, and Carerra since last year, there's no hope for you and may God have mercy on your soul.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #23
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
I get what you mean. Different coach, same results. No reason to expect a great improvement next season either, some but not great. There are flashes here and there but we have maybe 2 players that are ready to take us to the next level and they can't get it done alone. Still so many needs around this team year after year its the same story.
Every analyst has said the core is here. With the addition of Stroman, Blanton, and possibly Sheppard, we are still going to be considered a young team next year and there will be growing pains. The thing to keep in mind is that Johnson will be back, Stroman is a great young player and we won't have to strictly rely on him. I expect to see improvement next year, but the year to really watch out for is 2 years from now, especially if we add an elite player like PJ Dozier.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
...and I hate the Spurrier/Martin comparisons. It's not the same as football. The SEC is not some kind of basketball super conference.
Everyone is on board with Dawn Staley and she took 4 years put a quality team out there. Coach K also struggled at Duke for the first few years, but I'm sure Duke fans are glad they didn't just turn on him in year 2.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #25
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolley View Post
I understand where you're coming from. I was definitely hoping for better results this year too. However, I'm not going to say we made a bad hire just yet. He's got one more year, for me, to turn this program around. Next year, we should win most of these close games we lost this year, I also expect us to pull an upset or two of teams we aren't supposed to beat. We need to finish next year strong, with a noticeable difference from the beginning of the season.
Now, I haven't really followed our basketball recruiting, so I'm not sure if he's got any high talent players coming in. But if he doesn't, and he can't win with the talent he is bringing in then, So Long I'll See Ya.
He didn't have too many high talent players come to KSU. Yes there were a few good ones, but he also had time to develop his players. Development happens on different levels for players. The only guy that should have really been expected to come in and play like he belongs is Thornwell. Anything else has been a surprise. Notice will be fine. And I really believe that Henry and Ringer will be ok after a couple years in the conditioning program. I already see a difference in L-Chat.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
The hardest thing for us to do is recruit quality players. We are recruiting players who are also getting courted by all the big time programs. Makes it tough to sell the players on coming to USC when we are in a big rut.

The thing that really gets me is it seems our team as a whole really lacks a high level of understanding about fundamentals... What to do to beat a press, weak side defensive help, good rotations on D, boxing out, good ball movement on offense, effective screening, back door cuts, etc. Until our team fully understands those things and can implement them in game I just don't see us getting much better.
They are learning a new offense. They are learning how Frank wants to play man defense. Frank has said that the guys didn't play much man defense so it makes it even harder to coach because he is having to start from the ground up in that sense, which means he also has to spend time going over zone defense until we can play his style of man. On top of that we have a bunch of undersized post players that haven't been in the conditioning program long enough to go up against some of these 260 pound guys. The funny part is you have a problem with them boxing out, but they have outrebounded most opponents. Give it longer than 1 3/4 to 3/4 of a learning curve and these guys will be fine. The last thing our future recruits need to see on a message board is the fan base turning on the coach already. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #27
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCock89 View Post
Dawn Staley was 10-18 and 14-15 her first two seasons here. Year three they managed to make the WNIT with an 18-15 record. Now, three seasons later, we are contending for an SEC championship and a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Trying to determine if Martin is a successful/failed hire in the middle of his second season is way too impatient. Like others have said on here, year 4 is the number.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #28
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
One of the biggest problems in basketball recruiting right now is that there isn't a huge depth of talent in South Carolina. We signed Sindarius Thornwell last year and he is going to be a great player. Horn left the cupboard bare, so it will take until year 4 for Frank to turn it around.
I disagree about the cupboard being bare. Gill and Harris would have made this a much easier transition. Brenton has been phenomenal, and as of right now I sure do miss Ellington. Sure Horn missed on some guys, but he missed on guys that were getting the same level of attention from major programs as the guys that Martin is going after.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I saw improvement with Staley's team each and every year, game by game. They played harder. They were more fundamentally sound and you could see a work in progress. I have not seen the same in Horn or Martins teams. We should be seeing a team that can run set plays and do the things to stay in a game. That is not happening with the men's team on the same level as with Staley's first 2 teams. I am not looking for a No.6 ranking. I look to see if we improve game by game...year by year. I see no evidence of that and the frustration is not helping the team. I see a tight team, afraid to make a mistake, not a bunch of kids playing a game they love. If that's not what you see then that's OK with me, but I see what I see.
Rome wasn't built in a day. Yeah I just went ahead and said it.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #30
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
I disagree about the cupboard being bare. Gill and Harris would have made this a much easier transition. Brenton has been phenomenal, and as of right now I sure do miss Ellington. Sure Horn missed on some guys, but he missed on guys that were getting the same level of attention from major programs as the guys that Martin is going after.
Gill and Harris also didn't want to work at the intensity level that Martin required, they knew they were going to bolt before the ink was dried on Martin's contract.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #31
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Gill and Harris also didn't want to work at the intensity level that Martin required, they knew they were going to bolt before the ink was dried on Martin's contract.
Maybe, but it's not like people can't change just look at Brenton.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #32
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

^Agree but they have to want to change.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #33
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Horn ran off the good players. What we had last year was space fillers. For anybody who , can see this was Martin's first year
I helped my Uncle jack off his horse...
CockySpaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #34
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I can't believe some of you , chill out .
Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #35
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
Horn ran off the good players. What we had last year was space fillers. For anybody who , can see this was Martin's first year
Horn ran off the good players? Only if you buy into Carey Rich and his BS to get ratings on his crappy radio show.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #36
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^Agree but they have to want to change.
I wouldn't say that they went to Florida and Virginia to not practice with intensity, though. Harris had some struggles but he's back with the team now.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #37
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Horn ran off the good players? Only if you buy into Carey Rich and his BS to get ratings on his crappy radio show.
How else would you explain Ramon Galloway's departure?

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7588 View Post
How else would you explain Ramon Galloway's departure?
If you're gonna be pissed at Horn for Galloway leaving the program, then you should be mad that Frank ran off Harris, Gill and every other player.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #39
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
We are a team of 7 freshmen and 5 sophomores. There was not a single person outside of the delusional basketball fans on here that thought we would be good this year. Most analysts didn't think Thornwell would even make as big of an impact as he has had to this year. It takes time to develop a post game since we are not outrecruiting Florida, Kentucky, UNC, and Duke. If you haven't seen any improvement from L-Chat, Brenton, Kacinas, and Carerra since last year, there's no hope for you and may God have mercy on your soul.
I see you felt like you needed to address everyone who responded but here again I said that is the way I see it. I don't think you are wrong...and I don't think you are right. I just think you have an opinion just like me. If you can see improvement then so be it. I said show me...not tell me. The Martin way of doing things may or may not be the right route to go. I would still have reservations about him because of his anger issues. I am not a win at any cost type of guy. I think his brash ways with out any success here is going to be a turnoff to kids looking at South Carolina. That's old school and it might have worked years ago, but it is frowned on now. I don't think Martin is a bad guy. I know a lot of great people that are wonderful until they get angry. Some can express it in an acceptable manner and some lose it and make it intollerable. I want to see the program succeed as much as you or anyone else but with a degree of pride and stability. Martin is molding young men's lives as well as teaching the game of basketball. I see faults in both of his approaches. He can learn, but for now he teaches.....and for the "God have mercy on my soul" statement....just wow on that one.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #40
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

So much expectations for a team who is playing:

-without their leading scorer and point guard in Ty Johnson
-with 12 total underclassmen

Some of you probably wanted Dawn Staley fired in Year 2. Unless you're a staple program like Syracuse, Duke or someone, it takes time to rebuild a basketball program. If we're in Year 4 or 5 with no progress, then a thread like this makes complete sense.

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote