CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
cockybusiness2
pitchcock
COCKYTALKIN
Cockypantherfan
LeeSC
SCohioBoy
WeStillOwnUSC
Waldrop doubtful for (1452)
We Have A New KO Guy (1303)
If we loose to Kensu (1192)
The New Idea That'll (978)
I'm over the loss, b (610)
Why not Nosovich @ T (417)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (382)
So What? (353)
Land For Sale (254)
Ole Miss football pr (233)
KY Suspends 4 Players for
Thoughts on the basketbal
Why not Nosovich @ TE?
How to get USC vs KY Stre
UK promoting a blackout f
If we loose to Kensucky..
Win at Ky
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Name a Gamecock
HBC Weekly Presser

Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Microsoft greed.

First off, let me say I don't use apple products, so please don't think I'm a fanboy. Anyway, I've seen how a lot of people type Microsoft's name as Micro$oft, and I've never really understood. That is, until today.

A new video game was released today that my son has been counting down the days until he could get it. Well, I went and got it for him today and he was super excited to play it (he's 8, btw). Sadly, I didn't notice until just a few minutes ago that in order to play the game, an Xbox Live gold membership is required, which we don't have. How can a company be so greedy that they require you to buy something in addition to the actual game that has nothing to do with the gameplay before you can enjoy the game you own? It would be different if this had been a Kinect game or something that requires certain hardware, but this really chaps my hide. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Microsoft greed.

You should be able to play single player "Story Mode" without a Xbox Live acct. An acct is only needed to use apps, play multiplayer, and download games... I think.

Should you decide to get an acct, the link below will save you $20 on a 12 month membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3fJdg0_0_0_0_0
taylorssc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
You should be able to play single player "Story Mode" without a Xbox Live acct.

Should you decide to get an acct, the link below will save you $20 on a 12 month membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3fJdg0_0_0_0_0
You would think so, but nothing on it works without the account. So I signed up for the free account thinking that would be sufficient, but nope. It says the account doesn't have the proper permissions. It was then my little boy noticed on the game case it says, "Xbox Live Gold membership required."

But thank you for the link. Points to you.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

what game is it?

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
what game is it?
It's either Thief, or Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. I'll go with the later, and I can't believe it would be online required to play singleplayer.

By the way you should point your finger at the developer that they required you to have a Gold membership. Edited didn't know all the details of the situation.

Last edited by rioninusc; 02-25-2014 at 11:35 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
It's either Thief, or Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. I'll go with the later, and I can't believe it would be online required to play singleplayer.

By the way you should point your finger at the developer that they required you to have a Gold membership. I agree I think customers should have the option to use their own system as a server, or pay for a premium server. Now if this is a trend of future Xbox 1 titles, then yes start packing up, and get a PS4. If Sony also does it, then man Just get a PC and say bump it, at least you only have to pay money monthly if it's an MMO.
It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MS exclusive game. I would've liked to have gotten it for his PS4 instead.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
rioninusc
Starter

Male

rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MS exclusive game. I would've liked to have gotten it for his PS4 instead.
It's coming out later for the PC, so no fee's there for ya.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
diehardgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 101109992
diehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPit

Companies that try to make money make me so angry. Stupid capitalism.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

diehardgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

If anything it should clreay indicate this prior to you buying the game.

Kind of lame overall I agree.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
diehardgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 101109992
diehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
If anything it should clreay indicate this prior to you buying the game.

Kind of lame overall I agree.
It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

diehardgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardgamecock View Post
It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

I agree, its not Microsoft's fault he didn't read what the requirements were before he bought it.
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
jellafever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

so you bought him an Xbox 360 and a PS4, and you're complaining about an xbox live membership?
jellafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
rioninusc
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardgamecock View Post
Companies that try to make money make me so angry. Stupid capitalism.

Microsoft especially.

"It's a multiplayer only game. It says it clearly on gamestop's website...I would imagine it says so on the back of the box.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2 "

Thanks for clarifying that. PS4 will probably be the same story. PC is the only version that he could get that wouldn't have to pay for a Gold/+ account, It's coming out in the Spring 2014 for PC.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

He got super excited about a game he didn't even read enough about to know it was multiplayer only? And this is Microsoft's fault?
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #15
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 858937569
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
He got super excited about a game he didn't even read enough about to know it was multiplayer only? And this is Microsoft's fault?

The kid is only 8...... cut him some slack! He is only reading on a 3rd grade level!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Actually, for those of you who are having a hard time understanding, I'll explain it for you. My son has the original game Plants vs Zombies, and I know it is quite appropriate for his age, so when he saw this was coming out, he didn't read anything about it BECAUSE HE'S A KID. And since I knew about the first game and how it worked, I had no reason to think this game would be set up any differently.

But feel free to go back to being judgmental asses about a kid's disappointment.

As for me buying him 360 and a PS4, he definitely did not get them at the same time. He's had the 360 for quite a while, and even then it was a hand-me-down system. But I at least understand your point, and I know you didn't know he had one system for a long time.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #17
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Who has an Xbox without Xbox live? That's 75% of the fun.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #18
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Nm
Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #19
bravecock524
Nesemiea

Male

CockyCash: 40960
bravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPitbravecock524 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Actually, for those of you who are having a hard time understanding, I'll explain it for you. My son has the original game Plants vs Zombies, and I know it is quite appropriate for his age, so when he saw this was coming out, he didn't read anything about it BECAUSE HE'S A KID. And since I knew about the first game and how it worked, I had no reason to think this game would be set up any differently.

But feel free to go back to being judgmental asses about a kid's disappointment.

As for me buying him 360 and a PS4, he definitely did not get them at the same time. He's had the 360 for quite a while, and even then it was a hand-me-down system. But I at least understand your point, and I know you didn't know he had one system for a long time.
It is too bad he is disappointed but that doesn't mean it is Microsoft's fault that you didn't read what it said on the front of the game before you bought it. You could always try to return it to Wal-Mart if you don't want to get the Gold subscription.
bravecock524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #20
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
It is Garden Warfare. His version is for the 360, but only because it's a MSE usive game. I would've liked to have gis tten it for his PS4 instead.
He has a ps4 and has been waiting months for plants vs zombies? PS4 needs to get some good exclusive games desperately if this is the case. Online only games have existed for a while, like that garbage PS exclusive game MAG from back in the day. I dropped coin on that steamer.