CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
johnnyb
El Cid Ranger
So Disappointed With (2014)
Rank the QBs under S (1455)
Back like cooked cra (1059)
Tennessee game (678)
Who start on the d l (643)
No Comments on the H (501)
Google finally gets (471)
Squats (379)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (185)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Why I think we beat Aubur
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc

Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #61
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: The case for Clowney at #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
From ESPN article: After taking part in the 40, broad jump and vertical jump -- things used to measure explosiveness and straight-line speed -- Clowney took a pass on cone and position-specific drills because of what he told those monitoring the workouts was a hip-flexor issue.

Since he did, great. What about the position drills or did ESPN blow the entire report? I was going off of their reports and didn't watch any of the combine.
Moral of the Story: Don't believe everything you read on the internet without independent verification.

ESPN blew it.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #62
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
He did not partake in position drills (drills that don't have timings) or the 20 and 60 yd shuttle.
I know he did the 20 yard shuttle too. I watched it. Are you telling me my eyes lied to me?? More likely NFL.com didn't get their site updated quickly enough.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #63
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I know he did the 20 yard shuttle too. I watched it. Are you telling me my eyes lied to me?? More likely NFL.com didn't get their site updated quickly enough.
Want me to be serious?

I'd trust the internet before you. Just from looking at your posting habits.
So I'm going to wait for the numbers to get updated before I believe you.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #64
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Want me to be serious?

I'd trust the internet before you. Just from looking at your posting habits.
So I'm going to wait for the numbers to get updated before I believe you.
When they do are you big enough to come back and admit you were wrong?

Riddle me this, why would I lie about it?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #65
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
When they do are you big enough to come back and admit you were wrong?

Riddle me this, why would I lie about it?
When they do I will.

And I'm not saying you'd lie, although sometimes people on here can differentiate a lot.
Just saying I'll take NFL.com's word over yours.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #66
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Just saying I'll take NFL.com's word over yours.
Well, based on that criteria, NOBODY ran those drills today, because NFL.com doesn't have ANYTHING posted for ANYBODY.

Watch this video. You can see clips of Clowney doing the other drills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...of-off-combine

Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #67
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Well, based on that criteria, NOBODY ran those drills today, because NFL.com doesn't have ANYTHING posted for ANYBODY.

Watch this video. You can see clips of Clowney doing the other drills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...of-off-combine
That's more like it.

Sorry don't take it personal. I take what they say, report/ I see over what you say.
But here you provided evidence.

You should tweet that to all your followers next time. ;)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #68
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Sorry don't take it personal.
I'm sorry but I DO take it personally when someone basically calls me a liar.

The rest was posted while you were typing your reply....

Clowney doing the 20 yard shuttle.

Clowney running the 3 cone.

Attached Images

Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #69
cocksman08
OC in waiting

Male

cocksman08 has earned his spurscocksman08 has earned his spurscocksman08 has earned his spurscocksman08 has earned his spurscocksman08 has earned his spurscocksman08 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Clowney is the smart pick. None of the QBs are a Luck type talent, sure thing. Get Clowney and have a sick D, like the Seahawks, and find a QB to manage the game. It's much easier to get a solid QB than it is to get a Clowney and Watt combo.
Texans should take him at 1 and trade their 2nd round pick to Redskins for Kirk Cousins. instant super bowl contender
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #70
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
I'm sorry but I DO take it personally when someone basically calls me a liar.

The rest was posted while you were typing your reply....

Clowney doing the 20 yard shuttle.

Clowney running the 3 cone.

Seems like good visual evidence.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #71
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

I wonder if Clowney being a HS track star (training) has anything to do with his speed and start-up speed / reaction. Im pretty sure it does if consider the smaller 'trackstar' sized RBs and WRs and their times. Whatta man !

I always thought that the evil genius coulda used some help in some of those short yardage situations especially since Clowney has run the ball (in HS). On a second thought, he woulda got his score (that he wanted at Carolina) too.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #72
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

here is the thing.

Maybe Clowney will be a once in a generation player.

Maybe Clowney will be a solid pro bowl player.

I would rather wager my job on that than having to choose Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles around which to build a franchise.

If this was a year when it was Cam, RGII, or Luck coming out, I would go with the sure thing there.

Since you don't have that surefire NFL QB (at least one that would be good enough to take at #1)...Take the best defensive player available.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #73
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
here is the thing.

Maybe Clowney will be a once in a generation player.

Maybe Clowney will be a solid pro bowl player.

I would rather wager my job on that than having to choose Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles around which to build a franchise.

If this was a year when it was Cam, RGII, or Luck coming out, I would go with the sure thing there.

Since you don't have that surefire NFL QB (at least one that would be good enough to take at #1)...Take the best defensive player available.
Just what I have been saying.

Also, how could they harp on "Potential" Work Ethic problem as a "RED FLAG" and totally ignore Manziel's Manning Camp issue/Party Boy Image and Sammy's Drug Suspension. Those are legitimate Red Flags.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #74
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

The problem with JC going #1 is the order of the draft. Clowney is not NEEDED by HOU, they only need a decent QB to be a real Super Bowl contender. They could take one of the 3 QBs and be pretty good right now.

Drafting Clowney does not solve their problem, it obviously does make them better on defense, but they will not be competitive without a QB.

I think it is more likely he will go #3, either to JAX or ATL if they trade up
Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #75
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Moral of the Story: Don't believe everything you read on the internet without independent verification.

ESPN blew it.
Thanks for the advice, i will take into consideration.

kidding, my apologies for the 1st post considering he did the majority of the drills, but maybe not the pad work. it appears that the hip flexor was also an exaggeration by reporters plus the bad info, which i trusted. I've read a lot about the combine and how players approach it since then. Looks like he most likely trimmed way down in order to be lighter for the speed and agility type drills and will most likely bulk up a little before his pro day. Very smart move in my op. After all, it's all a job interview where the interview-ee has the power to somewhat control the interview. Nothing really wrong with that. The 40 time for a man his size is probably one of the more impressive things I've seen from him in a while. Good luck to him in the pro day.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #76
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
The problem with JC going #1 is the order of the draft. Clowney is not NEEDED by HOU, they only need a decent QB to be a real Super Bowl contender. They could take one of the 3 QBs and be pretty good right now.

Drafting Clowney does not solve their problem, it obviously does make them better on defense, but they will not be competitive without a QB.

Cowherd talked quite a bit about this today and he made some sense. JD would be a long term solution to chasing down QBs by teams that are set at that position for a while. Luck being one of them. They can get a QB later in the draft as none of these guy are as sure of a thing as Clowney. All are a gamble other than him.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #77
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
They can get a QB later in the draft as none of these guy are as sure of a thing as Clowney. All are a gamble other than him.
Absolutely....there is no way to tell if any of the top QBs in the draft are any better than some of the other potential prospects including guys like Kirk Cousins, etc.
And almost certain, none of the rookie QBs will be able to lead Houston to the playoffs. Not a good year for "franchise" QBs IMO...although Bridgewater may be the exception.

I'd grab Jadeveon....just too good of a pick.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #78
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksman08 View Post
Texans should take him at 1 and trade their 2nd round pick to Redskins for Kirk Cousins. instant super bowl contender
Exaxtly! I posted this a few pages back.

Except the Redskins have stated they are not trading Cousins. Maybe true but I said they could trade their 2nd or 3rd pick for Ryan Mallett.

Mallett and Cousins > any QB in this draft, IMO
Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #79
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

and while the texans probably are more talented than their 2 wins show and you can get good in a hurry in the afc i wouldnt bet on any of these rookie qb's making my team instantly better than clowney. that and i think obrien is a good enough offensive mind that he can find a qb later in the draft and either rehabilitate schaub or pick up a veteran that makes them instantly better.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #80
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
and while the texans probably are more talented than their 2 wins show and you can get good in a hurry in the afc i wouldnt bet on any of these rookie qb's making my team instantly better than clowney. that and i think obrien is a good enough offensive mind that he can find a qb later in the draft and either rehabilitate schaub or pick up a veteran that makes them instantly better.
I agree. I think they are better off taking Clowney and sticking with Schaub or going after Cousins or Mallett or McCown