CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
CockyLifer
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
Cockypantherfan
GregoryHouse
Bruce!!! (1184)
2014 Subway Classic: (835)
**USC vs. Coker GAME (722)
Going to the Duck Bo (340)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (135)
movers, furniture do (129)
Streaming nfl games (117)
Happy Winter Solstic (80)
Cocky at the Duck Co (75)
Deer Hunting 2014 (70)
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
***2014 Carolina Panthers
How Long Will The Rebuild
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Cleveland Browns Headshot
Streaming nfl games
Decommitment from Texas A
Bruce!!!
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Cocky at the Duck Command

Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous
Default Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1647

To say when Lawing left he had to push himself seems to be a major statement on Deke's mentality.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb
Default Re: Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
http://www.gatorzone.com/carter/blog/1647

To say when Lawing left he had to push himself seems to be a major statement on Deke's mentality.
Why? I think Deke and Lawing were two different kinds of coaches. I always thought of as Lawing as being a hard ass. Not so Deke.

Different coaches get results in different ways.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

IDK......I don't put the blame on the coaches. I'm sure they tried pushing him but the guy was in it for himself.

Could you imagine a Clowney with Lattimore work ethic? Could have maybe been the best defensive collegiate player of all time....Charles Woodson category at least.

His legacy will always be lacking in my opinion. People will always remember "The Play". Truth is....I think Gilmore, Melvin, Norwood did more. That falls on Clowney....not the coaches.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Why? I think Deke and Lawing were two different kinds of coaches. I always thought of as Lawing as being a hard ass. Not so Deke.

Different coaches get results in different ways.
Maybe he needs a hardass. If he goes to Houston something tells me Watt will be a whole new kinda hardass.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
IDK......I don't put the blame on the coaches. I'm sure they tried pushing him but the guy was in it for himself.
That doesn't make sense. So he was "in it for himself?"

Was he "in it for himself" in 2012 when he had a great year? Was he "in it for himself" in 2013 when he didn't perform as well? Because it appears that when Lawing "tried pushing him" it worked.

I don't get what you're saying. They're appears to have been a difference between 2012 and 2013, and according to his comments it may have been due to coaching style.

Some people are self-motivators and self-starters, some are not.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Lawing was a better coach for Jadeveon.

Jadeveon needs to be pushed...so whoever drafts him, find him a coach who will push him....maybe go hire Brad Lawing...might be worth it.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

he coached him the first 2 years

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Lawing was a big loss and they did about as good a job as they could filling that slot given who was out there.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nearly 20 years later, Adams gets a chance to not only work alongside Spurrier, but coach a guy, Clowney, who could go down as one of the best college defensive players of the past two decades.

“I haven’t really studied him or anything like that,” Adams said. “I’ve watched him when I had a chance to see him on TV. He’s probably the most dominant defensive linemen in the country right now. My goal is to definitely get in there and coach him up, but at the same time not mess him up. I’m excited to have a chance to coach him.”
http://blog.postandcourier.com/spur-...eveon-clowney/

Personally I think Deke took too much of a "hands off" approach.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
USCfootball
Banned

Male

USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
That doesn't make sense. So he was "in it for himself?"

Was he "in it for himself" in 2012 when he had a great year? Was he "in it for himself" in 2013 when he didn't perform as well? Because it appears that when Lawing "tried pushing him" it worked.

I don't get what you're saying. They're appears to have been a difference between 2012 and 2013, and according to his comments it may have been due to coaching style.

Some people are self-motivators and self-starters, some are not.
His bread was already buttered in 2013 - exactly my point! Lot's of good players get schemed against. It was up to him to get coached and perform....lot's of times he didn't or didn't care too. He was great player.....my point was he could have been a lot better.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

No way to sugarcoat what was said, and what was not said. Direct statement of Clowney's opinion. No doubt that sent a wave of emotion over at least one of our coaches currently on staff, and one of our former coaches.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
6pack
Walk On

Male

6pack has feathers coming in6pack has feathers coming in

Threads like this make me wish ESPN hadn't made a big deal about the hit. All this media bullshit could have been avoided. He could have had a good last season without a million different people jumping down his throat for having his hands on his hip, which I've seen numerous college and NFL players do. Publicity like this means you're damned if you do something, damned if you don't. All I have to say is I'm proud he played for our team and he'll only get better once he reaches the pros.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
CockTail
Starter

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I love JC and think he has done wonders for our program. I am a Jags fan and hope he falls to us. I wish Spurrier had been more clear when asked about his work ethic.

That being said, essentially blaming your coaches for not pushing you is a really poor excuse and may be harder to defend than his on field play last year. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish. He says he pushed himself after Lawing left, but his play said otherwise. IMHO he should have simply said he took last year off and is now ready to work that he is entering the NFL. I understand he is getting lots of questions about his effort and work ethic, but passing blame is not the answer. Makes him look bad.

He is telling teams unless you have a coach who pushes me, I am not disciplined enough to get after it by my self.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont think he was making excuses or that he mailed it in last year. maybe hes being truly genuine that lawing was the guy he really wanted to thank and it makes sense considering he spent two years under him and was recruited by him. the other way of looking at it is he's saying hes coachable and if you try to push him he will respond.

of course it doesnt look great for deke, but it is what it is. kelcey went from a solid starter to all sec under deke.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #15
USCfootball
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
I love JC and think he has done wonders for our program. I am a Jags fan and hope he falls to us. I wish Spurrier had been more clear when asked about his work ethic.

That being said, essentially blaming your coaches for not pushing you is a really poor excuse and may be harder to defend than his on field play last year. Not sure what he is trying to accomplish. He says he pushed himself after Lawing left, but his play said otherwise. IMHO he should have simply said he took last year off and is now ready to work that he is entering the NFL. I understand he is getting lots of questions about his effort and work ethic, but passing blame is not the answer. Makes him look bad.

He is telling teams unless you have a coach who pushes me, I am not disciplined enough to get after it by my self.

Well spoken my friend. Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

He got ridden hard by Lawing his freshman year because he was a freshman! Lawing does that to freshman. Didn't he almost make Surratt quit? It's not an indictment on Deke or saying that he does not push his players hard he just doesn't act like mad man like Lawing does some times. Y'all think too much and I think it is really causing you to confuse yourselves. I love how you think that Clowney mentions Lawing being a tough coach, you all automatically think Deke is just a little happy go lucky teddy bear with his players.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

You guys will see sooner than later who Deke is.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
His bread was already buttered in 2013 - exactly my point! Lot's of good players get schemed against. It was up to him to get coached and perform....lot's of times he didn't or didn't care too. He was great player.....my point was he could have been a lot better.
He could have been a lot better, really, so he played 2 1/2 games less then most of the team but finished 8th in tackles at DE, led the team in QB hurries by a long shot..... He could have been a lot better, You could say that about anyone but to say that about player who played 3 years of college football, the best 3 years of football in the history of our program and was a factor in every game h played is just insane in my opinion! How good could the rest of the team have been, how good could he have been? What could he have done to reach his potential that you think/know he didn't do? How good will do you think he will be in the NFL?
No matter what your answers are I can tell you he lived up to my expectations and beyond when he signed the dotted line to be a GAMECOCK!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:

Could you imagine a Clowney with Lattimore work ethic? Could have maybe been the best defensive collegiate player of all time....Charles Woodson category at least.

His legacy will always be lacking in my opinion. People will always remember "The Play". Truth is....I think Gilmore, Melvin, Norwood did more. That falls on Clowney....not the coaches.
Disagree, he disrupted offenses like none other

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #20
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Coach Ward could have tried to get him in open space a little more as well. For all the talk of having him coming from different directions all I ever really saw was the occasional switch to the other D-End spot and a few middle rushes.