CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
auslander
GarnetSwarm1990
sporkgod50
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
Rebel4ever
2000grad
PSU drops a prospect (1922)
Mizzou WR suspended (960)
John Abraham DUI (706)
Re-Airing South Caro (655)
Best Offensive " (641)
Rokevious Watkins cu (555)
Clemson, Auburn home (442)
Blake McClain (393)
Fall Camp. (344)
What ever happened t (324)
Blake McClain
What ever happened to Phi
Green and Lammons
An Aggies View of the Mat
College Football Playoff:
PSU drops a prospect beca
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 - Zack Bailey
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs
Default The "N word" ......

All the talk about the NFL penalizing and now Chris Bosh says,

"If that's the case, they should ban all slurs. And I know it's a big deal, because I think that word is used too much, especially in the mainstream nowadays"

Let me say this. I'm mid 30-s, white, work in corporate America, and I NEVER. EVER. hear that word in my employment. I'm no saint and like to hear the occaisional dirty joke on the golf course like everyone else, but I can't even tell you the last time someone is my circle of friends has even said that word. The players unions should definately.....ban the use of the harrassing and derogatory term. If I could ever afford coursite seats to a game and take my boys.....the last thing I want them hearing is that word being tossed around. The NFL and NBA are no different than any other corporate job IMO.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...-use-all-slurs
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: The "N word" ......

I think it is a horrible idea. How can you be positive who said it in a pile up situation. How are you gonna call the penalty. Are you gonna say Player X 15 yards unsportsmanlike language. Now you have labelled Player X a racist.

Also it would be majorly hypocritical of the NFL.Don't see how you can have a racial slur in Redskins but call a penalty for the Nword. The NFL hides behind two surveys say Native Americans don't find the term a slur. Well you are penalizing a word that the majority of players don't find a slur.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
All the talk about the NFL penalizing and now Chris Bosh says,

"If that's the case, they should ban all slurs. And I know it's a big deal, because I think that word is used too much, especially in the mainstream nowadays"

Let me say this. I'm mid 30-s, white, work in corporate America, and I NEVER. EVER. hear that word in my employment. I'm no saint and like to hear the occaisional dirty joke on the golf course like everyone else, but I can't even tell you the last time someone is my circle of friends has even said that word. The players unions should definately.....ban the use of the harrassing and derogatory term. If I could ever afford coursite seats to a game and take my boys.....the last thing I want them hearing is that word being tossed around. The NFL and NBA are no different than any other corporate job IMO.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...-use-all-slurs
Yeah. That isn't because it's banned.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

Not saying the N word should be said, but penalizing someone for it? That's dumb.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Doesn't banning certain words go against the constitutional right of freedom of speech? Isn't that what our country was founded on?

Not saying the N word should be said, but penalizing someone for it? That's dumb.
that is not what freedom of speech is.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
that is not what freedom of speech is.
But the premise is kind of the same. What if swear words bother other people? Are thy going to flag anyone who says "shit, ****, damn, etc." too?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I think we can all agree that using the n word is ignorant, but so is banning words

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

Your constitutional right to free speech means the government can't control what you say. Your employer can.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

We should just say "thug" instead
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I bet when it's used in an NFL game, it's a black player saying it to another black player. If a white guy said it, we'd see fights on the field.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
I bet when it's used in an NFL game, it's a black player saying it to another black player. If a white guy said it, we'd see fights on the field.
My understanding of the proposed rule is that it has nothing to do with racism, but is targeted at getting black players to stop calling each other that. If a white player calls a black player the n word, I seriously doubt we'll be talking about a 15 yard penalty.

- Rick H-

Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
My understanding of the proposed rule is that it has nothing to do with racism, but is targeted at getting black players to stop calling each other that. If a white player calls a black player the n word, I seriously doubt we'll be talking about a 15 yard penalty.
I think the idea came about after a white player called a black ref the n-word last season. Think that's what I heard on the radio.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #15
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 1065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

Over under on thread going to political forum by post number 51?
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #16
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
I'm surprised it made it this far.

- Rick H-

Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
I think the idea came about after a white player called a black ref the n-word last season. Think that's what I heard on the radio.
I would think if a white player called a black ref the n word, he'd be fired within 72 hours.

- Rick H-

Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

It was a black player that called a black ref a ******. There was no white guy involved.

The player was trent Williams and the ref was Roy Ellison. Ellison was suspended because he had warned Williams to cut out the profane language and Williams said F you. Ellison called him a disrespectful motherf'er. Williams called him the n word
Old 02-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowngangsta View Post
Easily the under.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 500
Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
The NFL can ban what it wants; it's not the government.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote