CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
cockyguitar
Yearofthegamecock
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
BlakelyH19
No Curse
**USC vs. Texas A&am (53489)
A&M vent thread (9946)
SOS is pissed (3438)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Players reaction to (1526)
Man of my word (no t (1498)
Here is the trophy f (1440)
Work Today Efficient (1431)
Jimmies and Joes (1389)
Worst Beating since? (1325)
SOS is pissed
whats up with Mike?
Worst Beating since?
A&M vent thread
USC vs. Texas A&M Pre
Jimmies and Joes
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
Overall I thought Byrd, J
I'm not buying the hype,
I'm not looking forward t

Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #321
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2015 Commitment - Sherrod Pittman

I think he'll be a Gamecock. The key to out of state kids IMO is getting them on campus as much as possible.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #322
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
It's certainly going to be tough to hang on to them for another year. UF and UGA are eventually going to turn the heat up on those guys.
Well I don't know , seems our overall performance in the past few years and our finish in the college football polls show we are statistically better in results against these two colleges that you are suggesting. We not only finished higher in the polls bet have had better finishes in the SEC EAST. You say that current history is what changes HS players minds , so what gives. Ga. has several defensive coaching changes as has FLA. WE haven't in the past years. So, please explain other than where these players are geographically playing and living , where is their edge. Past history from 1-2 decades doesn't really matter as you have stated before. Please enlighten me.

Last edited by garnet&black1998rn; 02-25-2014 at 01:30 PM.
garnet&black1998rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #323
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn View Post
Well I don't know , seems our overall performance in the past few years and our finish in the college football polls show we are statistically better in results against these two colleges that you are suggesting. We not only finished higher in the polls bet have had better finishes in the SEC EAST. You say that current history is what changes HS players minds , so what gives. Ga. has several defensive coaching changes as has FLA. WE haven't in the past years. So, please explain other than where these players are geographically playing and living , where is their edge. Past history from 1-2 decades doesn't really matter as you have stated before. Please enlighten me.

SEC titles and NC trophies

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #324
Cocky Mike
4-Star

Male

Cocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming inCocky Mike has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
They have one two national titles....granted that is two more than the gamecocks but still.
Cocky Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #325
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Mike View Post
They have one two national titles....granted that is two more than the gamecocks but still.
And about a handful more SEC titles

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #326
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

Quote:
As I stated what LATELY have they to offer that makes them a better choice. Most so called CT recruitnicks say here that the most recent history is what HS players think about .Can't be both ways Jim. The past is just that when was FLA. or GA last NC? We struggle against states with larger player pools and recruit against ALL SEC schools for a chance to land these same players as more storied historical programs. So , why have we done so much better in the past 3-5 years.........Coaching and opportunity to offer players the chance to rewrite our programs history . That is what we offer to these players, the chance to make a difference , not follow an historical presence ......ie, like say Moo u.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #327
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet&black1998rn View Post
As I stated what LATELY have they to offer that makes them a better choice. Most so called CT recruitnicks say here that the most recent history is what HS players think about .Can't be both ways Jim. The past is just that when was FLA. or GA last NC? We struggle against states with larger player pools and recruit against ALL SEC schools for a chance to land these same players as more storied historical programs. So , why have we done so much better in the past 3-5 years.........Coaching and opportunity to offer players the chance to rewrite our programs history . That is what we offer to these players, the chance to make a difference , not follow an historical presence ......ie, like say Moo u.

We've had 3 good years LATELY with 1 SEC East title and you think that's gonna give us the edge over UF, who has won 2 NC in the last 7 years and UGA who has 2 SEC East trophies in the last two years and was one play away from playing in the NC two years ago?? C'mon man. That can't be that hard to comprehend.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #328
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 143
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
We've had 3 good years LATELY with 1 SEC East title and you think that's gonna give us the edge over UF, who has won 2 NC in the last 7 years and UGA who has 2 SEC East trophies in the last two years and was one play away from playing in the NC two years ago?? C'mon man. That can't be that hard to comprehend.
I got flamed for this same argument. Watch out, some of the usual dick bags on CT will see your post and claim you're unappreciative and whining.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #329
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

I guess you'd have to ask recruits like Nick Chubb and Sonny Michael why they signed with UGA when Marshall and that other All SEC running back are already there or why UGA can always attract top qb prospects that they have signed over the years again when their roster has been loaded with qbs.
athenscock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #330
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

FACILITIES is a factor to where these kids want to spend their next 3-4 years. They are young and impressionable.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #331
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
FACILITIES is a factor to where these kids want to spend their next 3-4 years. They are young and impressionable.
True. Is there a ranking of SEC facilities that some reporter has created? I'm sure it has been done by now. Just curious where we stand. I know we've made significant improvements lately, but by no means do I think we're in the top 3 or 4.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #332
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
True. Is there a ranking of SEC facilities that some reporter has created? I'm sure it has been done by now. Just curious where we stand. I know we've made significant improvements lately, but by no means do I think we're in the top 3 or 4.

JD
I have seen facilities rankings before. As you would expect we are behind Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, TN, GA. Of course, with our proposed upcoming facility additions / upgrades we are closing the gap more so with GA and TN, but still have a ways to go to catch Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #333
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's even really about that any more or winning. It's just about Florida being established as "the cool place to be" especially if you are a Florida kid and that doesn't change over night.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #334
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I have seen facilities rankings before. As you would expect we are behind Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, TN, GA. Of course, with our proposed upcoming facility additions / upgrades we are closing the gap more so with GA and TN, but still have a ways to go to catch Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU.
We are, and will be for the foreseeable future, at a major disadvantage in those rankings as most that I have seen give points for having the stadium on campus.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #335
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Our Facilities are close to on par with any in the nation just a matter of getting the work on them done its not a drawback

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #336
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's even really about that any more or winning. It's just about Florida being established as "the cool place to be" especially if you are a Florida kid and that doesn't change over night.

Good point, who wouldn't want to go to UF?

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 03-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #337
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Pittman won MVP honors at a recent NFTC (Nike Football Training Camp) event in Orlando, which earned him an invite to The Opening. Way to work, Sherrod!

Quote:
At linebacker, Rivals100 Jacksonville First Coast High School's Sherrod Pittman earned MVP honors.
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...sp?CID=1623281

Last edited by ConwayGamecock; 03-23-2014 at 01:29 PM.
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #338
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Great to see players who are committed to us doing so well in these events.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #339
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 143
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Awesome. I hope we're able to keep this guy
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #340
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
Our Facilities are close to on par with any in the nation just a matter of getting the work on them done its not a drawback
They really aren't as close to other schools as one might imagine. And of course, there is a huge difference in a town grown around a school's campus and a campus grown in a town.

But there are several documented points about this, you don't have to take my word for it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaje...uits-decision/

http://populous.com/posts/college-fo...dent-athletes/

Out of 15 factors, the college athletes surveyed put playing facilities at #4 in importance, while campus housing and team facilities (weight rooms, practice facilities, etc.) were at 6th and 8th respectively. The #1 thing was academic reputation while their friends opinion of the school ranked last.

So it is easy to say that stuff doesn't matter, but all empirical evidence says it does.