CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (32845)
Gameday in Columbia (1778)
ECU is a good team (1479)
Why we'll dominate C (1245)
Spurrier was Embaras (1169)
Is it possible for o (1125)
Spurrier not happy s (1088)
Alabama vs Florida. (1028)
Lammons out (989)
ECU is a good team (974)
Is anyone really surprise
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Glad We Won
Spurrier was Embarassed
Best and worst of the gam
2016 - Jamie Skalski
ECU
Spurrier not happy so why

Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #281
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 402990384
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. Auburn GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Honest question, do you believe Frank thought we were going to be this bad this year.
You mean before or after we lost Ty Johnson and Bruce Ellington??
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #282
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
You mean before or after we lost Ty Johnson and Bruce Ellington??
Funny, we had our best game of the year w/o both of them...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #283
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Nope, we've been cleared, no ongoing investigations.
You're a perfect reflection of the Auburn fan base. I only wish you'd be ejected from here like a fellow fan of yours did at the game last night.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #284
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

What a stinker of a game from Thornwell: 2-13 shooting, 1 assist, more turnovers (5) than points, 0-3 from the line.

He's a freshman. A dip in his game was inevitable, I suppose. Not a good time to go into a slump, unfortunately, with Kentucky and Florida up next.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #285
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I have said this before, but I think FM's antics cause the guys to play way to tight.
It causes players to learn how to make basketball plays.

Check the Darrin Horn era for players playing loose and relaxed. Damien Leonard jacking up 3's early in the shot clock and getting beat on D. R.J. Slawson taking low percentage shots just cause. Ellington chucking. No off ball movement, leadership, facilitators, extra passes.

Sent from my HTC One Max using Tapatalk
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #286
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
I have two names for you:

John Wooden and Phil Jackson.

Perhaps the two greatest basketball coaches in history.

They didn't need to yell and be sources of negative energy to win 10 and 11 national titles, respectively. Each coach holds the record for national championships won as a head coach.

While I'm at it, I'll throw in Bill Walsh and Bill Belichick. Both intense, but still generally professional in their conduct.

These coaches have won a combined 25 national championships between them...You don't do that just by luck and/or cheating (I know the haters are gonna bring up Sam Gilbert and Spygate, so I'm just heading that mess off at the pass, here).

Being a jack*** doesn't yield optimal results, and I would even argue that being a Wooden/Jackson style of coach yields the best results.

All this is a moot point though, because John Wooden ain't walkin through that door. Phil Jackson ain't walkin through that door. Unfortunately (IMHO), Frank Martin is walkin through that door.

I just don't want our fans to get the idea that he is a good coach because he yells and is negative.

I've said this on here before, and mostly been met with immature garbage (I guess the truth hurts, don't it?), but there's a better way.
You know who also yells at players?

Coach K
Roy Williams
Rick Pitino
Jim Boeheim
John Calipari

How have they been doing? Bob Knight?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #287
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
It causes players to learn how to make basketball plays.

Check the Darrin Horn era for players playing loose and relaxed. Damien Leonard jacking up 3's early in the shot clock and getting beat on D. R.J. Slawson taking low percentage shots just cause. Ellington chucking. No off ball movement, leadership, facilitators, extra passes.

There is a big differnce from playing tight, scared to make a mistake, and playing loose. playing loose meaning not wound up and able to make plays without looking over your shoulder if you make a mistake.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #288
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Quote:
There is a big differnce from playing tight, scared to make a mistake, and playing loose. playing loose meaning not wound up and able to make plays without looking over your shoulder if you make a mistake.
Martin gives longer leashes to players who know how to make basketball plays. Thornwell has earned that privilege and others do off and on. Martin isn't going to let players go out there and stink it up just so they can play loose.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #289
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Martin gives longer leashes to players who know how to make basketball plays. Thornwell has earned that privilege and others do off and on. Martin isn't going to let players go out there and stink it up just so they can play loose.

And that is different that what we are doing now how?

I am not suggesting free reign, I am suggested allowing the players to play their game as well, mistakes happen, it's part of the game and growing process. When you are scared that if you make a mistake you will be pulled or have your head ripped off, you play tentative or wound up.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #290
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
What a stinker of a game from Thornwell: 2-13 shooting, 1 assist, more turnovers (5) than points, 0-3 from the line.

He's a freshman. A dip in his game was inevitable, I suppose. Not a good time to go into a slump, unfortunately, with Kentucky and Florida up next.
During the game the announcers made a statement - I don't know how true it is but they did state it - that during the week leading up to the game Coach Martin and the staff had the team participate in a impromptu volleyball match I guess to relieve some boredom or frustration, and that during the match Thornwell rolled his ankle. I don't know how much it affected him if at all, but the announcers made it seem as if it may have affected his game. I didn't notice any limp or favoring of any foot, but whatever...

But I wouldn't classify it as a slump at this point of time, regardless. Sin has had games throughout the season where he struggled to score points, and then rebounded for season highs. Hopefully he'll do it again for the next games on the schedule...
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #291
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

My point is there is a time for yelling and a time for encouraging. Right now, I think we might need a little encouragement so we can loosen up a bit.

Basketball is supposed to be fun. Playing it has been, for me, some of the most fun I have had in my life.

Last night our team looked, from the very start, like the game gave them no joy.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #292
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
My point is there is a time for yelling and a time for encouraging. Right now, I think we might need a little encouragement so we can loosen up a bit.

Basketball is supposed to be fun. Playing it has been, for me, some of the most fun I have had in my life.

Last night our team looked, from the very start, like the game gave them no joy.
I'd like to encourage some of these guys in their pursuits outside of basketball, because I don't think basketball is for them. And I think they are starting to realize that as well, which is why they are not having fun. The rest of them, I look forward to seeing back next year and to a good season.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 02-27-2014 at 03:11 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #293
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Funny, we had our best game of the year w/o both of them...
What game are you referring to? A&M? I think the St. Mary's win was the best win of the season, and that was with Johnson. There's no doubt we miss Johnson. I hope you're not trying to argue that we don't, although with your track record it wouldn't surprise me.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #294
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I'd like to encourage some of these guys in their pursuits outside of basketball, because I don't think basketball is for them. And I think they are starting to realize that as well, which is why they are not having fun. The rest of them, I look forward to seeing back next year and to a good season.
I'd like to encourage you to stop posting here, because intellectual conversation is not for you.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #295
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
What game are you referring to? A&M? I think the St. Mary's win was the best win of the season, and that was with Johnson. There's no doubt we miss Johnson. I hope you're not trying to argue that we don't, although with your track record it wouldn't surprise me.
Not saying we don't miss him, however the TAM game was the most complete game we have played this year. My point is the excuses is just that, an excuse. We were bad with Johnson and we are bad without Johnson.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #296
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Not saying we don't miss him, however the TAM game was the most complete game we have played this year. My point is the excuses is just that, an excuse. We were bad with Johnson and we are bad without Johnson.
I know it's a difficult concept to grasp that you don't want your freshman to play more minutes than they have to because you're inevitably going to get the growing pains and struggle. At least with Johnson, we had a guy with leadership and that was beginning to take care of the ball better than Notice and Thornwell. It's not an excuse. I believe that having a solid leader can change the outcome of games. Who's to say we couldn't have beaten Ole Miss with Johnson in the lineup, or any of the other close games we've been in. We just don't know.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #297
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I know it's a difficult concept to grasp that you don't want your freshman to play more minutes than they have to because you're inevitably going to get the growing pains and struggle. At least with Johnson, we had a guy with leadership and that was beginning to take care of the ball better than Notice and Thornwell. It's not an excuse. I believe that having a solid leader can change the outcome of games. Who's to say we couldn't have beaten Ole Miss with Johnson in the lineup, or any of the other close games we've been in. We just don't know.
Well we lost to TAM with him and beat them without him. Not saying he would not help the team, but it is not like he was setting the world on fire when he was in there. And when the upperclassmen are struggling, and the team as a whole is not doing anything, meaningful minutes for the freshman will help them in the long run.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #298
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'd like to encourage you to stop posting here, because intellectual conversation is not for you.
Buuuuuurn!
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #299
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Well we lost to TAM with him and beat them without him. Not saying he would not help the team, but it is not like he was setting the world on fire when he was in there. And when the upperclassmen are struggling, and the team as a whole is not doing anything, meaningful minutes for the freshman will help them in the long run.
He was our leading scorer. He may not have been "setting the world on fire" but I did see him get better as the season progressed, because I honestly was not impressed with him through the first few games. That said, don't you think it's better for the team to practice against each other with the best players on the court? Don't you think you'd get better practicing against better competition. The minimal time Ellington was on the team this season, it was duly noted the impact he made in just the short time he was there. So with this debate, we will again have to agree to disagree. We may be a bad team, but I honestly think that some of these games could have swung our way had we had another steady ball handler, not to mention it probably keeps Steele off the court.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #300
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
He was our leading scorer. He may not have been "setting the world on fire" but I did see him get better as the season progressed, because I honestly was not impressed with him through the first few games. That said, don't you think it's better for the team to practice against each other with the best players on the court? Don't you think you'd get better practicing against better competition. The minimal time Ellington was on the team this season, it was duly noted the impact he made in just the short time he was there. So with this debate, we will again have to agree to disagree. We may be a bad team, but I honestly think that some of these games could have swung our way had we had another steady ball handler, not to mention it probably keeps Steele off the court.
Game time > Practice time. At this point the younger players need all the minutes they can get.