CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
nodnahs
Gamecocks1137
GamecockSuperFan
Master Bedroom
Lonnie
ktguen
StormOfTalons
garnet_black215
TRBTB
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1318)
Ranking the Opposing (1126)
Not a Rival.. (929)
Gamecock Coaches as (704)
NCAA Football 15 (425)
Clemson Recruiting.. (344)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (331)
Hello Gamecocks! (317)
Marching band (285)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (263)
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
NCAA Football 15
2015 - Mon Denson
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Clemson Recruiting...how
Dylan Engaged
Green and Lammons
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
2016 Commitment - Kyle Da
Name a Gamecock

Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #41
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clowney inadvertently swipes at Deke?

To me it's dumb to admit you can't motivate yourself. I prefer a thinking man's coach, like Spurrier or Cutcliffe.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #42
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Clowney - as good as he is - bought into his own hype. Yes he is without a doubt a great player but we certainly did not get his best this year imo. Yes teams game planned against him but that happens with all great players in College. I think Deke will be a fine Coach and folks saying different based on Clowneys 2013 performance have no clue.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #43
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
So what good is Lawing yelling at or "being tough on him" going to do?
He respected Brad...it's a relationship....Brad was his coach.
And I have no proof, but will always believe Brad leaving impacted Jadeveon's last year.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
To me it's dumb to admit you can't motivate yourself. I prefer a thinking man's coach, like Spurrier or Cutcliffe.
I have problems motivating myself...guess that's dumb.
I have problems motivating myself to go work out.
I have problems motivating myself to eat better and eat less.
I have problems motivating myself at work when things are slow and I'd have to go looking for something to do.

How about you?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #45
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i dont think he was making excuses or that he mailed it in last year. maybe hes being truly genuine that lawing was the guy he really wanted to thank and it makes sense considering he spent two years under him and was recruited by him. the other way of looking at it is he's saying hes coachable and if you try to push him he will respond.

of course it doesnt look great for deke, but it is what it is. kelcey went from a solid starter to all sec under deke.
Kelcy became All SEC because of JD getting all of the attention on the other side, not because of Deke.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #46
sully1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his claws

So Deke gets the credit for Clowney not being as good this year but doesnt get the credit for Quarles being All-SEC.

That doesnt seem fair....cant have it both ways.

We lost two games this past season with young, inexperienced LB's and problems at the beginning of the year in the secondary.

I would say Deke did at least a good job and will reserve ultimate judgement for when he gets all his own guys in here.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #47
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Welcome to the off season, where fans claim a coach is dissed because a former player say nothing about him at all.

I guess this is why all the NASCAR guy do the sponsor rundown in victory lane?

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #48
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I agree. Kelcey greatly benefitted by having CLown to his right and he REAAAALLLY needed another year of college. His draft stock has plummeted. I wish him the best of luck though.
You don't think Clowney benefitted from playing with Devin Taylor and Melvin Ingram and Traivian Robertson and Byron Jerideau and better LBs and DBs his first two years? If you don't think think Deke is a good coach you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't see the solid foundation to base that on.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #49
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

If you guys want to watch Clowney's entire interview, it's on the Texans site.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...d-3fc089051096

Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #50
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
I do. I think Brad would have kicked his butt....Brad wanted him drafted #1. And Brad has no one to blame but himself for missing out on it. I'm also sure that Brad is painfully aware of all of this.

I hope Jadeveon goes to Houston and they kick his butt...sounds like Jadeveon wants that & that's what coaches are supposed to do. They kick his butt and he might eventually be a huge playmaker at the next level.
Your argument assumes that Clowney was unmotivated and took off plays. This is the Clemson media spin and it is bullsh*t. I watched all the games and Clowney gave great effort on just about every play.

SEC teams ran in the opposite direction. Some tried quick passing. Others ran options at him. He was often double and triple teamed on downfield passing plays, which is why Quarles erupted.

With Deke as DL coach, USC ranked second in scoring defense, third in pass defense, and fifth in overall defense according to the SEC. That is a pretty good defensive effort, especially considering we were playing freshmen linebackers and breaking in two new defensive line starters after losing two to the NFL draft.

PS: Clowney was often out of position in his first two years, and his tendency to free lance was exploited in the running game. He just wasn't as much under a microscope so only but the most die hard Gamecock fan would have noticed it. I think he actually played substantially better this year in terms of not over-running plays and free lancing.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 02-27-2014 at 03:29 PM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #51
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

I think we should over-analyze the h**l out of this statement. Oh wait...
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #52
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Your argument assumes that Clowney was unmotivated and took off plays.
Your "arguement" assumes I assumed something I did not.
Go listed to Jadeveon's comments himself then form your own assumptions.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #53
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Your "arguement" assumes I assumed something I did not.
Go listed to Jadeveon's comments himself then form your own assumptions.
I have listened to it. That is why I said the people who are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill about his comment are dreaming or are out there in la la land.

As for your assumption, your post implies that Lawing would have made Clowney play better this year by yelling at him. What were you trying to imply if that is not it.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #54
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I have listened to it. That is why I said the people who are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill about his comment are dreaming or are out there in la la land.

As for your assumption, your post implies that Lawing would have made Clowney play better this year by yelling at him. What were you trying to imply if that is not it.
Yea...that's exactly what I posted.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #55
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Yea...that's exactly what I posted.
Excuse me, but I said you implied it, at least that is the inference I drew. If I made a mistake in interpreting your post, I apologize. I'm not trying to pick on you.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #56
Lonnie
Band

Male

We needed someone to yell at Clowney to make him better?

Why the heck didn't we Coach Martin on this during football season!?!?!?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #57
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
We needed someone to yell at Clowney to make him better?

Why the heck didn't we Coach Martin on this during football season!?!?!?
I don't know what we needed, but he seemed to be able to do what he wanted instead of what was called. I remember against UGA he lined up on the inside of the tackle like three straight times. Well the first time he pressured Murray, so ok. Then the next two times (again, in a row) Murray just rolled to the left and got first downs. After all, now there is no containment on that side.

I think it was a few things really. Mainly I think Deke took an approach of "It ain't broke, don't fix it" with Clowney but that was, in hindsight, a mistake. Clowney needs to be constantly tweaked because he seems to fall back into bad habits quickly. That article written about Clowney by the former NFL DL says a lot about how raw his technique really is, how he doesn't use certain skills the way he should. When you have a situation like he faced this year, he was going to be double and triple teamed constantly. They were going to scheme for him. The two big things to assist with this would be picking his spots to really push for the QB and get Clowney into more space than usual. When neither of those things happened, you had a guy who basically went full tilt early in games and didn't have as much later when he needed it on top of Clowney getting frustrated due to lack of production. In short, a perfect storm for mounting criticism and frustration for pretty much everyone involved.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #58
Lonnie
Band

Male

My last post wasn't intended to be serious....

Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #59
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

you know, this time last year all the world was talking about the Great Clowney. You couldn't turn on the tv without seeing "The Play". Now this year, the whole world is talking about Clowney again, and not for the same reason.

Clowney is now gone. We as Gamecock fans need to pull for him, and wish him the best, but we should be focusing on the guys that are still here, and the new guys that may make history as well.

No doubt Clowney has brought a lot of notoriety to USC, and we should relish that, and not debate whether or not Clowney was the best team mate, or had the best work ethic. He is not coming back to prove anybody wrong.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #60
6pack
Walk On

Male

6pack has feathers coming in6pack has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkrice91 View Post
you know, this time last year all the world was talking about the Great Clowney. You couldn't turn on the tv without seeing "The Play". Now this year, the whole world is talking about Clowney again, and not for the same reason.

Clowney is now gone. We as Gamecock fans need to pull for him, and wish him the best, but we should be focusing on the guys that are still here, and the new guys that may make history as well.

No doubt Clowney has brought a lot of notoriety to USC, and we should relish that, and not debate whether or not Clowney was the best team mate, or had the best work ethic. He is not coming back to prove anybody wrong.
Amen brotha!
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote