CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
NinjaSven
johnnyb
Regalcock
ESPN Game Day Commen (1329)
Simple "yes&quo (1190)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1001)
Phil Steele just pre (874)
The Comeback & T (747)
TeMarcus Blanton (551)
Garcia: Change the R (510)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Wallpaper & Back (235)
Instrumental Music ( (165)
Madrid vs Barca
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Where in Seattle
Bama @ Tennessee
Remember, SEC is weird
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Phil Steele just predicte
Simple "yes" or
TeMarcus Blanton

Old 02-27-2014, 03:09 AM   #41
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Bandwagon Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!
I went to games throughout the Odom and Horn eras. I don't expect to be called a fair weather fan if Martin gives us a winning program just because I decided getting worked up and wasting time on shit teams wasn't worth it
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #42
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I love the Gamecocks. I love Gamecock basketball. I have only been able to make 1 game this season, and I'm thinking about making the womens game tonight.

I just think our fan base has grown almost disinterested in our basketball program. Like, they almost feel like their is no hope. I know I have grown increasingly frustrated as the season has grown on. After the A&M game, I thought that maybe we had turned a corner. Then we went to Oxford and jumped up on them by 14 points in the 2nd half, and I thought that maybe we were about to start moving in the right direction. Long story short, we blew that lead, lost that game, and seems like things have never recovered. I don't think our fans are bandwagon fans. I think our fans have a legitimate gripe about our basketball program. There is absolutely ZERO reason for a school with our resources, with an arena like we have, to go 10 years between tournament berths. Just should not happen.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #43
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

I haven't been to a game this year, and only made 1 last year. Not because I don't want to go, but because my schedule is so packed during the season because it is also high school wrestling season. Once our season starts, I don't have time to do much else. Before I became a head coach, I went to almost all the games, but just can't get there now.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #44
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Telling "bandwagon fans" not to follow our basketball team is sorta wild... at this point we should take all the fans we can get
This
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #45
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

It's ridiculous to call out bandwagon fans and tell them not to come when we start winning:

1. We've been horrendous at basketball for 40 years, barring a few rare seasons (particularly 2 seasons in the 90s, both of which ended in shocking and humiliating 1st round defeats). We play in a football first-conference in which we're unquestionably the worst basketball program, and have been by every quantifiable metric since we joined in 1992. Of course we have bandwagon fans

2. We can use all the fan support we can get. I don't care who the support is coming from, whether it be bandwagoners, communists, whoever; we should take anyone on board that can stomach following this program.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #46
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertime86 View Post
Clemson used to have a problem with attendance when we were bad at basketball. Now we have a packed house every game and one of the most intimidating environments in college basketball. It's hard to tell who the fair weather fans were now
You must not have been at the NC State game at home the other night. I was their and Littlejohn was maybe 30% full.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #47
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

So if we actually do start winning next year and the fans all show up, what are people going to actually say?

1. "Look at all these terrible fans that came out today just because we are winning. GO HOME! WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE! Where were you all when we sucked?!"

or

2. "Wow look at this great crowd today! Frank Martin is a doing a good job! South Carolina has great fans, really avid! This is good to see!"

This whole argument is laughable.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #48
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

It has been a rough season...a lot of us knew it was going to be rough...last night took a lot of air out of people I think after the team was playing so well two weeks ago.

Just have to try to finish this season on a positive note and then start getting ready for next season.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #49
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
You must not have been at the NC State game at home the other night. I was their and Littlejohn was maybe 30% full.
Seeing how radio up here is trying to think of ways to get their students to show up, I think Clemson still has a problem.

At least we can take solice in this fact...Brownell has been there long enough to get his guys in and run his system, and they are an average team, much worse than they were under Purnell.

Martin is just in his second year, with a team full of freshman.
Next year will be telling for Martin, and I think we will see a lot more wins. And with as bad as the SEC is, a few good breaks, Carolina could make the tournament. Yes, because the SEC is that lousy a basketball conference outside of Florida and Kentucky.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #50
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Next year will be telling for Martin, and I think we will see a lot more wins. And with as bad as the SEC is, a few good breaks, Carolina could make the tournament. Yes, because the SEC is that lousy a basketball conference outside of Florida and Kentucky.
I admire your optimism, even though I don't share it. Why do you think we'll be tremendously improved next year? We currently have the worst post play in the SEC and we're not bringing in any post recruits. Do you think the guys on the roster will improve night and day before next season? And who do you think will replace Brenton's scoring ability?

Just interested in hearing from folks who think we'll be significantly improved next year. I personally think next year will be about the same as this year because of the terrible post play.

-- George Burns
Old 02-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #51
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I admire your optimism, even though I don't share it. Why do you think we'll be tremendously improved next year? We currently have the worst post play in the SEC and we're not bringing in any post recruits. Do you think the guys on the roster will improve night and day before next season? And who do you think will replace Brenton's scoring ability?

Just interested in hearing from folks who think we'll be significantly improved next year. I personally think next year will be about the same as this year because of the terrible post play.
Yeah we get it. You like to pick and choose which stats you want to look at to define improvement, and then ignore people when they blow your reasoning out the water. Get out of here man!
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #52
garnetgolfr
THE University OF SC

Male

CockyCash: 588
garnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot materialgarnetgolfr is USC mascot material

Winning cures all...

Who cares if they are bandwagon or not. If they are paying money for the ticket, filling the seat, that's a win at this point for basketball. This team needs all the support they can get. Filling an arena that size for concerts is realistic. Filling an arena that size for SEC basketball outside of Lexington, KY? Ehhhh not sure that was a good idea. I was of the faction that thought renovating The Coliseum was a better idea instead of the CLA. Its beautiful, don't get me wrong but its not practical for our program.

"...BUT THOSE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS AIN'T BAD EITHER..."
garnetgolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #53
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Yeah we get it. You like to pick and choose which stats you want to look at to define improvement, and then ignore people when they blow your reasoning out the water. Get out of here man!
What the hell are you talking about?

Firstly, I posed a question for Roosterboy because I was interested in hearing his reasoning for why we'll be improved next year.

Secondly, where have you or anyone "blown my reasoning out of the water" regarding my concerns about our post play? Nearly everyone who doesn't have their head in the sand recognizes we have serious issues in the post. Quite a few people, including myself, are troubled by both the post players currently on the roster and the fact that zero post recruits are coming in. L-Chat's minimal improvement doesn't change the fact that we're discussing a player who averages less than 5 points a game. Do you honestly think that's going to get it done in the post? He's been in the system for 2 years and is averaging roughly the same amount of points and rebounds this year as last year. Your advanced metrics show he's become a more efficient player, but again, we're talking about the efficiency of a player who ranks 93rd in the SEC in scoring and 59th in rebounding. Additionally, Kacinas has been playing better this year, but do you honestly think this guy has a high upside? Do you honestly think he's going to develop into the solid, SEC-quality post player we so desperately need? I'd say he's solidly filling a role right now, and if we need him to do any more than that then we're in trouble.

-- George Burns
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #54
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:

Why do you say we are not bringing in any post recruits? The class is not complete yet is it?
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #55
CockNBlythewood
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 300
CockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to CockNBlythewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!
I'm glad we have such a fair and well-liked officer of fanhood on our side. Tell us, how can we be better fans, oh wise one?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #56
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertime86 View Post
Clemson used to have a problem with attendance when we were bad at basketball. Now we have a packed house every game and one of the most intimidating environments in college basketball. It's hard to tell who the fair weather fans were now

No way you believe this. I have watched several Clemson basketball games this year and have yet to see one that was a "packed house."
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #57
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
It has been a rough season...a lot of us knew it was going to be rough...last night took a lot of air out of people I think after the team was playing so well two weeks ago.

Just have to try to finish this season on a positive note and then start getting ready for next season.
Or get ready to deal with finishing the season on a negative note. If you want to beat adversity you have to face it head on, you can't ignore the elephant in the room and think things will just get better.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #58
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetgolfr View Post
Winning cures all...

Who cares if they are bandwagon or not. If they are paying money for the ticket, filling the seat, that's a win at this point for basketball. This team needs all the support they can get. Filling an arena that size for concerts is realistic. Filling an arena that size for SEC basketball outside of Lexington, KY? Ehhhh not sure that was a good idea. I was of the faction that thought renovating The Coliseum was a better idea instead of the CLA. Its beautiful, don't get me wrong but its not practical for our program.
Off Topic. In your sig I didn't realize Jordan Diggs got punked by a guy much smaller than him in that play.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #59
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about?

Firstly, I posed a question for Roosterboy because I was interested in hearing his reasoning for why we'll be improved next year.

Secondly, where have you or anyone "blown my reasoning out of the water" regarding my concerns about our post play? Nearly everyone who doesn't have their head in the sand recognizes we have serious issues in the post. Quite a few people, including myself, are troubled by both the post players currently on the roster and the fact that zero post recruits are coming in. L-Chat's minimal improvement doesn't change the fact that we're discussing a player who averages less than 5 points a game. Do you honestly think that's going to get it done in the post? He's been in the system for 2 years and is averaging roughly the same amount of points and rebounds this year as last year. Your advanced metrics show he's become a more efficient player, but again, we're talking about the efficiency of a player who ranks 93rd in the SEC in scoring and 59th in rebounding. Additionally, Kacinas has been playing better this year, but do you honestly think this guy has a high upside? Do you honestly think he's going to develop into the solid, SEC-quality post player we so desperately need? I'd say he's solidly filling a role right now, and if we need him to do any more than that then we're in trouble.
I honestly think you have no idea what you're talking about. That you pick and choose what you want to support your idea instead of showing all the facts, and that you're delusional enough to buy into whatever kool-aid you've been drinking. Have a nice day!
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #60
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
I honestly think you have no idea what you're talking about. That you pick and choose what you want to support your idea instead of showing all the facts, and that you're delusional enough to buy into whatever kool-aid you've been drinking. Have a nice day!

Once again, you continue to evade any conversation about the future of our post play or the points I've brought up. Instead you've thrown a few not-so-clever barbs in response to a post I directed at another poster. Have a nice day as well.

-- George Burns