CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
doubledribble
kingofnerf
ccured
Fight, win, kick a-- (1355)
Why I'm hopeful abou (989)
The Gator Bowl wants (978)
CFN prediction for a (924)
USC will upset Aubur (794)
A simple defensive l (778)
In-state QB talent (574)
This is War (399)
Texas athletic direc (363)
SEC Debate: Best can (349)
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
A simple defensive line &
In-state QB talent
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
Cann tipping plays?

Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #41
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: The "N word" ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina cocknfire View Post
Technically yes but, being a professional athlete for an organization is a privaledge not a right. If the organizations want to ban the use or profane or derrogatory words, they have the right to do so. I can't use that language at my work or I will be terminated, first amendment right or not, because I have to follow the rules of my employer. Professional athletes are no different.
You can use that language at work, just not around certain people..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #42
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
wheatoncock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's not a double standard in my opinion but a completely different meaning when black people use it talking about each other. So I am okay with the only black can say it and get away with it.
This is exactly right. There is a context to the use of the word and the word is also culturally significant for african-americans. The historical significance of the word keeps a white person from using it in reference to a black person, and for good reason unless you have special permission. One of my black teammates from high school told me that if i say it with the er, im gonna wind up in the ER. You're right about it not being a double standard because the word is more complex than people are giving it credit. Who are we to cast judgment on it and say its wrong? It's not an issue of morality, its an issue of etiquette, and this is an example of forcing african-americans to assimilate.
wheatoncock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #43
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
wah. They are they are their own organization they can do what they want. What are you going to do start a protest? boycott? Someone likes what they are doing because the NFL and their franchises are raking in billions.

As I wrote in the last line, I would like their tax exempt status revoked. Sorry that writing it clearly apparently wasn't clear enough.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #44
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

This debate will go on forever. If black people want to address each other using the N-word, fine by me. It's a cultural thing just like back in the civil rights movement days when black people referred to each other as 'Brother'. As time evolved, the use of N-word evolved as a term of endearment. White kids, not all, but many refer to their closer friends as N-word. I've heard it way to many times. But back to the topic, I don't think a ref should throw a flag every time he hears it. Only when it's used in an offensive manner should the flag be thrown. And I don't care what color the ref is, the ref should only be referred to as "Sir" or "Ref". Anything else should be flagged, regardless of the term used.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #45
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
This is exactly right. There is a context to the use of the word and the word is also culturally significant for african-americans. The historical significance of the word keeps a white person from using it in reference to a black person, and for good reason unless you have special permission. One of my black teammates from high school told me that if i say it with the er, im gonna wind up in the ER. You're right about it not being a double standard because the word is more complex than people are giving it credit. Who are we to cast judgment on it and say its wrong? It's not an issue of morality, its an issue of etiquette, and this is an example of forcing african-americans to assimilate.
To be safe I don't think it is a good idea to use the "-gga" form either. It don't think it is really any different from the "-er" coming from someone that is not black. I know black people who have said as such.

I definitely don't think violence is ever justified for ANY insult. I think when you resort to violence all you do is degrade yourself, but some people don't see it that way unfortunately.

I also don't think it has anything to do with forcing African-Americans to assimilate, though I mean aren't we supposed to be fighting segregation? It's just about a group of people attributing a completely different meaning to an existing word and deciding that if certain people use it, they are not going to be offended by it. Different circles and cliques have different rules. If everyone in the clique agrees that something is okay and something is not, than that is between them. It's an exception to the general rule and and exempt status. That is just exercising their freedom to have a sense of kinship and understanding with certain people. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Some people might not like that, but it is everyone's right imo.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #46
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

Good lord. First bullying now bad words. What has pro sports come to. The pansification of our country is now spreading to our athletes.
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #47
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
As I wrote in the last line, I would like their tax exempt status revoked. Sorry that writing it clearly apparently wasn't clear enough.
LOL! Yes sir! Right away! We'll get right on that! We'll go ahead and change the laws just because you don't like the NFL being tax exempt. Good luck making a law that isn't ridiculous in order to keep just the NFL from getting to be tax exempt. Even being tax exempt the government makes so much money off the NFL it is ridiculous. People still have to play their income tax you know, and the effect on the economy is enormous.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #48
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
I also don't think it has anything to do with forcing African-Americans to assimilate, though I mean aren't we supposed to be fighting segregation? It's just about a group of people attributing a completely different meaning to an existing word and deciding that if certain people use it, they are not going to be offended by it. Different circles and cliques have different rules. If everyone in the clique agrees that something is okay and something is not, than that is between them. It's an exception to the general rule and and exempt status. That is just exercising their freedom to have a sense of kinship and understanding with certain people. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Some people might not like that, but it is everyone's right imo.
I think it would be forcing people to assimilate if you are not allowing them to be an exception to the rule, that's why i think this rule is racist. Assimilation and ending de jure segreation was the goal of the civil rights movement, now it should be geared towards freedom of cultural expression with moderation. I think using the n-word doesn't cross any justifiable bounds to say that its harmful to everyone else. I think this rule is about money and "cleaning-up" the image in white america's eyes and using a few african-american's opinions about the n-word to justify their position. It will be interesting to hear what stephen a and charles barkley say.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #49
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
LOL! Yes sir! Right away! We'll get right on that! We'll go ahead and change the laws just because you don't like the NFL being tax exempt. Good luck making a law that isn't ridiculous in order to keep just the NFL from getting to be tax exempt. Even being tax exempt the government makes so much money off the NFL it is ridiculous. People still have to play their income tax you know, and the effect on the economy is enormous.

yes, I realize that. Answer me this. You wrote, " to keep just the NFL from getting to be tax exempt"

Why should the NFL be tax exempt when MLB and the NBA are not?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #50
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargamecocks87 View Post
Good lord. First bullying now bad words. What has pro sports come to. The pansification of our country is now spreading to our athletes.
Yes, racial slurs are just bad words. Exactly.
palmettosc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #51
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
two standards is called a....

DOUBLE STANDARD

When those standards are along racial lines it's called...

RACIST

Well it wouldn't be a double standard. For it to be a double standard, the context and significance would have to be the same for both, which they are not.

Keep reaching for an excuse for you to be allowed to use the N word, though!
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #52
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
This debate will go on forever. If black people want to address each other using the N-word, fine by me. It's a cultural thing just like back in the civil rights movement days when black people referred to each other as 'Brother'. As time evolved, the use of N-word evolved as a term of endearment. White kids, not all, but many refer to their closer friends as N-word. I've heard it way to many times. But back to the topic, I don't think a ref should throw a flag every time he hears it. Only when it's used in an offensive manner should the flag be thrown. And I don't care what color the ref is, the ref should only be referred to as "Sir" or "Ref". Anything else should be flagged, regardless of the term used.
I've never thought of the N word as a term of endearment and the reason why is I've never heard it used in conjunction with something nice. Example:

"Hey, look at the n----- over there. I think I want to buy him some lunch." Maybe it's just me...

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #53
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
I think it would be forcing people to assimilate if you are not allowing them to be an exception to the rule, that's why i think this rule is racist. Assimilation and ending de jure segreation was the goal of the civil rights movement, now it should be geared towards freedom of cultural expression with moderation. I think using the n-word doesn't cross any justifiable bounds to say that its harmful to everyone else. I think this rule is about money and "cleaning-up" the image in white america's eyes and using a few african-american's opinions about the n-word to justify their position. It will be interesting to hear what stephen a and charles barkley say.
If we are talking about just who it is acceptable for to use the word regardless of setting, to say black people shouldn't say it to would be discrimination, not an attempt of assimilation, because you are trying to take away the right of them to use a word that is not offensive in certain situations and are part of personal conversations.

Talking about the NFL rule, I see where you can say it is assimilation, because they want players to leave their racial hats at home and put on their "model NFL player" hats. And I have no problem with that, because you accept that when you show up and take pay. Everyone makes a choice to accept that and pay that price. The NFL is the boss of this circle. They get to make the rules. It's just not going to be easy for a lot of people to do.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #54
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
yes, I realize that. Answer me this. You wrote, " to keep just the NFL from getting to be tax exempt"

Why should the NFL be tax exempt when MLB and the NBA are not?
It has to do with how the leagues choose to organize themselves. The NFL is following rules the MLB and NBA are not in order maximize the government's control over them to effect the economy and limit their choices in which the NFL and certain individuals in it might make even more profit. The government gives them a choice and the leagues make the choice on how they want to go about it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #55
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I've never thought of the N word as a term of endearment and the reason why is I've never heard it used in conjunction with something nice. Example:

"Hey, look at the n----- over there. I think I want to buy him some lunch." Maybe it's just me...
No it's probably "just not you." Some people use it that way and some don't.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #56
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
No it's probably "just not you." Some people use it that way and some don't.
Just look at some songs that are out today. Lil Wayne has a song where the chorus goes "my n***a, my n***a, my mother****ing n***a".

This is used as a term more or less meaning "my brother" or "my homie".
Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #57
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Just look at some songs that are out today. Lil Wayne has a song where the chorus goes "my n***a, my n***a, my mother****ing n***a".

This is used as a term more or less meaning "my brother" or "my homie".
Yep, pretty much. Except they are african-american homies. They aren't talking about white homies.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #58
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Yep, pretty much. Except they are african-american homies. They aren't talking about white homies.
You can't see color when talking about homies... a homie is a homie.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #59
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
You can't see color when talking about homies... a homie is a homie.
homie is a homie but not every homie is a ***ga.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #60
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

Quote:
If we are talking about just who it is acceptable for to use the word regardless of setting, to say black people shouldn't say it to would be discrimination, not an attempt of assimilation, because you are trying to take away the right of them to use a word that is not offensive in certain situations and are part of personal conversations.

Talking about the NFL rule, I see where you can say it is assimilation, because they want players to leave their racial hats at home and put on their "model NFL player" hats. And I have no problem with that, because you accept that when you show up and take pay. Everyone makes a choice to accept that and pay that price. The NFL is the boss of this circle. They get to make the rules. It's just not going to be easy for a lot of people to do.
Discrimination and pressure-cooking assimilation aren't mutually exclusive.

The problem with the "NFL sets the rules" part is that when you take it too far, people get pissed. I'm not sure of the whole history around the players' union, but I wouldn't be surprised if it arose out of the NFL upper management digging in too deep. I can see where the league would want to clean this up to sell more tickets and make the league look more reputable in the public's eye, especially after controversy surrounding concussions and martin-incognito. However I think there could be an unintended consequence of pissing off too many players and creating a new debacle. I think it would've been better left alone. I think they could come up with a more arbitrary rule rather than eliminating one word that the NFL could appeal to in cases of the player calling the referee the n-word.