CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
SC Sandlapper
So Disappointed With (1805)
Rank the QBs under S (1353)
Back like cooked cra (945)
Tennessee game (649)
Who start on the d l (607)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (441)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (332)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (153)
Why I think we beat Aubur
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re
Vote For Cocky
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #61
greatwhitecock
I'm Ya Huckleberry

Male

CockyCash: 600
greatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his combgreatwhitecock is developing his comb
Default Re: The "N word" ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
I've always preferred "cracker" as long as it's pronounced "crack-ah" and not "crack-er."
Points to you sir!
greatwhitecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #62
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

If the NFL wants to go PC, then they should fine the players, not penalize the team. A 15 yard penalty is a horrible idea, but a fine only affects the player involved.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #63
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Who decides what word(s) get banned and which word is next? Dumb idea to me.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #64
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
Who decides what word(s) get banned and which word is next?

Society.

Example- would YOU consider the N word to be acceptable in general public settings?

If not- why do you think that is? Here's a hint- it's the first word of this response.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #65
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

I sure as hell hope that each and every one of you who is against banning the word, would likely be proponents of certain other words deemed offensive by society (like the F bomb)

Can't have it both ways.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
Discrimination and pressure-cooking assimilation aren't mutually exclusive.

The problem with the "NFL sets the rules" part is that when you take it too far, people get pissed. I'm not sure of the whole history around the players' union, but I wouldn't be surprised if it arose out of the NFL upper management digging in too deep. I can see where the league would want to clean this up to sell more tickets and make the league look more reputable in the public's eye, especially after controversy surrounding concussions and martin-incognito. However I think there could be an unintended consequence of pissing off too many players and creating a new debacle. I think it would've been better left alone. I think they could come up with a more arbitrary rule rather than eliminating one word that the NFL could appeal to in cases of the player calling the referee the n-word.
The NFLPA would look like idiots for trying to defend the use of the "n word" by anyone whether that is right or wrong. It's not a battle worth fighting over. If anyone is going to fight for it, it is going to be members of hip hop culture speaking up against the rule. What effect that has, who knows.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #67
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Society.

Example- would YOU consider the N word to be acceptable in general public settings?

If not- why do you think that is? Here's a hint- it's the first word of this response.
No, I would not use any type of vulgar language in public and try not to in private. However, common decency can't be legislated and when you give a little, "they" usually take a mile. Where would the line be drawn is all I want to know.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #68
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Society.

More like anyone who doesn't like it and willing to do something about it. Not really the entire society.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #69
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
yes, I realize that. Answer me this. You wrote, " to keep just the NFL from getting to be tax exempt"

Why should the NFL be tax exempt when MLB and the NBA are not?
Only the NFL "front office" is tax exempt. Their is NFL properties LLC and NFL enterprises LLC. If the NFL was not a tax exempt organization they still wouldn't pay any taxes because the NFL operates at a deficit. at 3/31/12 the liabilities of the NFL exceeded the assets of the NFL by over 300 million dollars. If it was a LLC they wouldn't pay any taxes anyway. The execs have crazy salaries to keep the league in the red. The league makes all that crazy money but then distributes it to the leagues. The teams are for profit and pay taxes, however they pay tax deductible dues and assessments which reduce their tax liability.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #70
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, I would not use any type of vulgar language in public and try not to in private. However, common decency can't be legislated and when you give a little, "they" usually take a mile. Where would the line be drawn is all I want to know.
What do you mean by they
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #71
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #72
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacock View Post
What do you mean by they
The ones that are making the decisions or making the rules!! The ones that everyone wants to defer to because it is easier to let "they" make those choices for the rest of us.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #73
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

this thread is more entertaining than a uniform thread or who is the starting QB next year at least.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #74
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

That word is used more than you can imagine! By both cultures.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #75
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

wheatoncock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
The NFLPA would look like idiots for trying to defend the use of the "n word" by anyone whether that is right or wrong. It's not a battle worth fighting over. If anyone is going to fight for it, it is going to be members of hip hop culture speaking up against the rule. What effect that has, who knows.
I think it's a bigger question about freedom of cultural expression, and fighting for autonomy is a worthy cause. 'Merica. I wasn't saying it would be an issue for the NFLPA, I was just using that as an example of struggle between players and upper management. I think there will probably be some outspoken opponents to it though no doubt.
wheatoncock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #76
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I for one am glad that we're at least at the point of having this silly, trivial discussion instead of where our nation used to be.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #77
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

Can you give me an example of where "giving" on the N word might cause them to "take" more?

I mean, it really does sound like some people are trivializing the offensive nature of the N word. This isn't some word thy black people suddenly decided would be offensive (which is what you're implying will happen with "next" thing 'they' take)
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #78
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

I agree with the what's next statement. I mean, how about the "C" word in women's sports or "Q" word in Missouri football.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #79
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
I agree with the what's next statement. I mean, how about the "C" word in women's sports or "Q" word in Missouri football.

Do you think either of those words should be considered acceptable?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #80
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Do you think either of those words should be considered acceptable?
I think this is the problem...who in society gets to decide what is acceptable? Personally, I don't want society deciding for me, but that is my personal opinion/choice. All these rules change depending on the society you live in, so I need something a little more stabilized than blowing in the wind.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote