CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetBlack&Blue
GSC2013
Dizzy01
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
Kyle76
The Yancey
18IsTheMan
JNGolf
cockthehammer
Mike Davis "dou (2082)
The Demise of the 3- (1405)
Gamecocks D staff re (1364)
Pirate Depth Chart (1002)
Past SEC Champions w (970)
who thinks we need a (960)
Reginald Bowens (692)
East Carolina Predic (690)
Why didn't Wes Green (658)
You guys are horribl (295)
Carolina opens -15.5
The Demise of the 3-4
Why didn't Wes Green play
What would be your defini
East Carolina Prediction
Gamecock football Long Te
Did we ever go after Kenn
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks claimed and re-
Tanner McEvoy should've s

Old 02-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #61
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Microsoft greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Actually, for those of you who are having a hard time understanding, I'll explain it for you. My son has the original game Plants vs Zombies, and I know it is quite appropriate for his age, so when he saw this was coming out, he didn't read anything about it BECAUSE HE'S A KID. And since I knew about the first game and how it worked, I had no reason to think this game would be set up any differently.

But feel free to go back to being judgmental asses about a kid's disappointment.

As for me buying him 360 and a PS4, he definitely did not get them at the same time. He's had the 360 for quite a while, and even then it was a hand-me-down system. But I at least understand your point, and I know you didn't know he had one system for a long time.
When I was a kid and I got excited about something like that I would find out as much as possible about it. We didn't even have the internet back then so I had to look at magazines and stuff. The judgement has nothig to do with the kids disappointment. It's the parents immediate need to blame someone else for something that is only the fault of them or their child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I'm not really up on all this stuff to be honest, so you're right about the beef really being with the developers and publishers of the game. FWIW, I used the link taylorssc provided me to buy the 12-month gold membership for $40. I justified it by saying my son can enjoy his other games he has for the 360 a little more now.

And to be clear for some others, my problem isn't the amount of money, it's the fact I had to buy the membership at all. I miss the days when all that was needed was a TV, the game system, and the game itself.
You don't have a beef with the developers. They aren't obligated to make a single player game, and they didn't make it a secret that you needed XBL. You also aren't obligated to buy an XBL account so that you can buy their game. As far as I know they don't make money off of XBL anyways. I remember back in the days when the analog controllers for PS1 were first coming out you have to check to make sure games didn't require the sticks if you hadn't bought the new controller yet. Same thing.

Back in those days you couldn't play with somebody halfway around the world. Coincidentally that is still all you need for single player games and local play, this game just happens to be multiplayer only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
This is a great time for a teaching moment. Explain to him how corporations will continue to rip him off the rest of his life. He should seek out small businesses and local sources for his products and services and avoid the big box stores as much as possible. This is a prime opportunity to suggest that he and his friends should find other entertainment venues. Offer to buy a baseball mitt and teach him the game. Playing outdoors is much better for a kid's brain development than playing video games anyway.
Actually playing video games develops your brain in a much different way, and I would argue it's difficult to say one is better or worse. If playing video games isn't as good for your brain why is it associated with being a "nerd." Nerds are supposed be smart, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
Lol, tough crowd in here. This must be the mistake-free zone.
Nothing wrong with mistakes. Just something wrong with mistakes and blaming it on somebody else.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #62
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

How is Sony not greedy for charging for their interior online experience? I guess the Japanese aren't greedy.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #63
USCNowAndForever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't play well with others
I never would have guessed.
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #64
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Actually playing video games develops your brain in a much different way, and I would argue it's difficult to say one is better or worse. If playing video games isn't as good for your brain why is it associated with being a "nerd." Nerds are supposed be smart, right?
Nerdiness is not a problem. However, becoming nerd-like does not necessarily correlate to maximizing brain function.

There is a lot of research on the subject of the positive affects of nature. You could start by reading this book, or at least reviewing the blog post quoted and linked below.

Quote:
Scientific studies have shown that natural environments can have remarkable benefits for human health. Natural environments are more likely to promote positive emotions; and viewing and walking in nature have been associated with heightened physical and mental energy. Nature has also been found to have a positive impact on children who have been diagnosed with impulsivity, hyperactivity, and attention deficit disorder. A powerful wake-up call for our tech-immersed society, Your Brain on Nature examines the fascinating effects that exposure to nature can have on the brain.
Your Brain On Nature: The Science of Nature's Influence on Your Health, Happiness and Vitality

Quote:
We need to ensure our children have the opportunity to spend time playing outdoors. This additional post also shares the importance of play and laughter. There is a definite need to focus on children playing outdoors. The National Wild Life Federation is involved with an effort to promote a “green hour” for children and the NFL is promoting “Play 60”
Your Brain Needs Nature

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #65
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Nerdiness is not a problem. However, becoming nerd-like does not necessarily correlate to maximizing brain function.

There is a lot of research on the subject of the positive affects of nature. You could start by reading this book, or at least reviewing the blog post quoted and linked below.

Your Brain On Nature: The Science of Nature's Influence on Your Health, Happiness and Vitality

Your Brain Needs Nature
If you google "video games develop your brain" you can find plenty of articles talking about the benefits of gaming. I don't deny that going outside is good for you; I just disagree with the thought that video games are mindless or don't do things to develop your brain.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #66
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

Your Brain Needs Nature
I'm with Yazoo on this one. I think nature has an incredible effect on our brains. Speaking from personal experience, being in nature immediately calms me down, gives me peace, and completely changes me. Going for a walk is what I do to calm my brain and stimulate other senses. It has such an overall positive effect on my entire body. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I've realized this effect that nature has had on me. More people need to experience this (but not too many - I don't want my favorite trails getting crowded).

I understand there are benefits to video games. Yes, people can learn and get smarter and all that stuff. However, there are a lot more negative effects that we KNOW come from spending too much time on games - ADD, obesity, social problems, etc. You won't find too many arguments against spending more time outside and in nature. There are plenty of arguments against too much on games - despite the benefits they offer.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #67
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Skin cancer, allergies, getting eaten by a bear, rednecks with dueling banjos. The outside can be unhealthy as well.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #68
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I'm with Yazoo on this one. I think nature has an incredible effect on our brains. Speaking from personal experience, being in nature immediately calms me down, gives me peace, and completely changes me. Going for a walk is what I do to calm my brain and stimulate other senses. It has such an overall positive effect on my entire body. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I've realized this effect that nature has had on me. More people need to experience this (but not too many - I don't want my favorite trails getting crowded).

I understand there are benefits to video games. Yes, people can learn and get smarter and all that stuff. However, there are a lot more negative effects that we KNOW come from spending too much time on games - ADD, obesity, social problems, etc. You won't find too many arguments against spending more time outside and in nature. There are plenty of arguments against too much on games - despite the benefits they offer.
From webmd

"There is no proof that playing video games makes anyone more likely to develop ADHD."

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...nd-video-games

Sounds like managing gaming time is difficult for people with ADHD, not that their ADHD is caused by gaming.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #69
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
From webmd

"There is no proof that playing video games makes anyone more likely to develop ADHD."

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...nd-video-games

Sounds like managing gaming time is difficult for people with ADHD, not that their ADHD is caused by gaming.
Well can we say those with ADD are more likely to play video games? Either way, we know the negative effects of video games. Not many negative effects of nature (other than being eaten by a bear or something).
Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #70
diehardgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 101109992
diehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
Skin cancer, allergies, getting eaten by a bear, rednecks with dueling banjos. The outside can be unhealthy as well.
:-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

diehardgamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #71
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Shit, I'm using the fact that not being outside is unhealthy on my boss next week. Maybe I can get a couple more smoke breaks.