CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
rolinb1
BiscoCocky
trapper82
BlueHerons
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
StormOfTalons
Chill98
Spurrier: Davis May (2647)
TAMU Starting CB Out (2607)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1843)
Clowney possibly hur (1302)
Your SEC Standings P (1278)
an apology (1227)
Our players and the (965)
Favorite Gamecock of (700)
Clowney leaves pract (606)
This helmit is aweso (569)
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
How are we feeling about
New Sign at Williams Bric
FIFA 15 - PC
Connor Shaw Browns
Every Day Should Be Satur
TAMU Starting CB Out For
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Your SEC Standings Predic
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #101
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The "N word" ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Ok...private vs public...that is what I thought you were getting at. Am I incorrect?

Not sure I understand the question
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #102
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
The same could be said about the F bomb, or GD.

Are you saying that we should throw caution to the wind when it comes to all "offensive" words?
Sometimes I DO throw caution to the wind and to Hell with what everyone thinks about it or the consequences! It can be quite liberating and exciting to do what you are "not supposed to do." Honestly I don't have a problem with casual use of F-bombs and GD. I use it all the time privately. It wouldn't bother me one bit if I could go anywhere I wanted talking like that and no one would even think poorly about me for it. So maybe you are asking the wrong person that question. I mean, I hear cursing in the NFL all the time. The NFL office may not like that but they haven't done too much to stop that yet.

The reason I despise the N-word is, that is because it dehumanizes African-American people, and it goes back to a time when that was the majority train of thought as awful as that sounds today. But that was how it truly was. That is how slavery and violence toward the African slaves was justified. Who cared about their freedom because they weren't human, who cared about their lives and their suffering because the weren't human, they were n*****s. It's difficult to justify society allowing people to still think like that with out trying to stop it. So, no, I think it is completely different from using the F-bomb and GD. We not talking about being prim and proper and behaving in a classy way. We are talking about a way of thinking that is seriously harmful to actual people embodied in a word.

I think I may have misled you before. It's not offensive because the majority of society deems the word bad because it is "not nice" and insulting and improper to use the N-word. The N-word is offensive because it embodies racism, and racism is offensive to the majority of society because most people strongly oppose those racist views. At least, I hope so.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 02-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #103
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

wheatoncock has hatched from the shell

I think white people lost the privilege of dictating when and how the word should be used when they use/used it for hundreds of years to make people with black skin inferior. Making this rule is still paternalistic imo.
wheatoncock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #104
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
I think white people lost the privilege of dictating when and how the word should be used when they use/used it for hundreds of years to make people with black skin inferior. Making this rule is still paternalistic imo.
That doesn't meant the NFL should allow itself to be used as a soapbox for the word because their players want to say it. If they want to disassociate themselves with the word, I don't see what the problem is with that. If they want to disassociate themselves with "foul language," that is their rightful choice to make as well. They have a right to disassociated with actions and views that they feel will cause them harm.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 02-28-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #105
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not sure I understand the question
I thought you making the point that private institutions were well with their rights to do something like this but really couldn't do this in public

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #106
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I thought you making the point that private institutions were well with their rights to do something like this but really couldn't do this in public

The entire thread was about the NFL. Regarding applying such "bans" to the public would require a law enacted by the state or federal govt, which would necessitate this discussion being moved to a restricted forum.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #107
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
The entire thread was about the NFL. Regarding applying such "bans" to the public would require a law enacted by the state or federal govt, which would necessitate this discussion being moved to a restricted forum.
right...i knew it was about the NFL. I wasn't sure, so I asked instead of assuming

Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #108
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
right...i knew it was about the NFL. I wasn't sure, so I asked instead of assuming
K, just so I'm clear here...

I personally believe the idea of any words in the human language being 'profane' is downright silly.
I do believe certain words are 'offensive' to large segments of the population due to historical context of those words, and thus I think it is proper human etiquette to avoid those words, just out of decency towards those it offends.
I do believe any private institution, whether it be the NFL, Bank of America, or any other business, is completely in their rights to dictate the rules of decorum for their business, including what constitutes "harassment"
I am against the idea of any government entity banning words and/or phrases from the public arena (I realize there are exceptions, like yelling 'FIRE' in a crowded theater)
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #109
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

[quote=3MTA3;4099600]K, just so I'm clear here...

Quote:
I personally believe the idea of any words in the human language being 'profane' is downright silly.
Ok

Quote:
I do believe certain words are 'offensive' to large segments of the population due to historical context of those words, and thus I think it is proper human etiquette to avoid those words, just out of decency towards those it offends.
Makes sense to me

Quote:
I do believe any private institution, whether it be the NFL, Bank of America, or any other business, is completely in their rights to dictate the rules of decorum for their business, including what constitutes "harassment"
I agree

Quote:
I am against the idea of any government entity banning words and/or phrases from the public arena (I realize there are exceptions, like yelling 'FIRE' in a crowded theater)
absolutely

Old 02-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #110
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

wheatoncock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
That doesn't meant the NFL should allow itself to be used as a soapbox for the word because their players want to say it. If they want to disassociate themselves with the word, I don't see what the problem is with that. If they want to disassociate themselves with "foul language," that is their rightful choice to make as well. They have a right to disassociated with actions and views that they feel will cause them harm.
I just want to understand you're stance because in one of your first posts you said that you are fine with only blacks being able to say it, but you are also saying that the NFL should have freedom to ban it if they want. I believe both of these statements, however my question would be when does the NFL's choice to ban something go too far? Can't you agree that a lot of players and fans will be unhappy with this? Imagine when the time comes to actually throw the flag, whats going to happen then? I haven't heard good moral reasoning for banning the word, only that the NFL should have freedom to make profits while limiting African-Americans' freedom to use a word that they've darn well earned the right to use.
wheatoncock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #111
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
I just want to understand you're stance because in one of your first posts you said that you are fine with only blacks being able to say it, but you are also saying that the NFL should have freedom to ban it if they want. I believe both of these statements, however my question would be when does the NFL's choice to ban something go too far? Can't you agree that a lot of players and fans will be unhappy with this? Imagine when the time comes to actually throw the flag, whats going to happen then? I haven't heard good moral reasoning for banning the word, only that the NFL should have freedom to make profits while limiting African-Americans' freedom to use a word that they've darn well earned the right to use.
When does it go to far? When it's racial discrimination. I am on the fence whether this racial discrimination or not. It could be racial discrimination. It's only offensive when non-black people say it so why forbid black people to say it? That seems like singling black people out. But does the offensiveness of what the NFL wants to prohibit even matter? I don't think so. If they want to ban a non-controversial word or phrase, they could if they want to. They could ban the word "frisbee" if they want to. It seems like the motivation is to protect their image and avoid problems. Some people still are offended just by the word itself. Even if it is not meant in a bad way and even if it just between black people, the word still has a racist meaning attached to it. The word is still be publicized and promoted and the racist version of the word gets indirectly promoted. And not all black people are not cool with the word coming from black people even if the intentions are obviously not hateful or racist.

If this is racial discrimination, it seems like such a minor form of it that I doubt anyone is going to try to fight it. It's well-intentioned and will probably make the NFL a better place to be employed. The NFLPA is not the NAACP and, their job is not simply to make sure the players get whatever they want. They exist to make sure they get fair pay, fair hours, safe work conditions, etc... They don't exist to file discrimination lawsuits on behalf of SOME of their players. The players have their own attorneys for that. They aren't going to fight so that their black players can use the "n-word." And I doubt any of the black players will either. Although, I'd like to see what happens when a black player actually breaks the rule and they try to enforce it. Maybe I am wrong, maybe the player would sue, maybe the NAACP does get involved, but I doubt it is high on their agenda.

I know black people have the right to use the n-word, but people have to give up rights some times to get something in return. When white and other people who are not black say the n-word it is offensive, but they actually DO have a constitutional right to say it, so they are giving up their right too. So that is why I would say it is NOT discrimination.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 02-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #112
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

The meaning of anything said is derived from its context and nonverbal indicators. Words don't carry meaning, we assign meaning to them based on the context in which they were used. Without cues telling us what value to assign, you're left with just words.

Quote:
"My n;gger!"
~anonymous
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #113
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
When does it go to far? When it's racial discrimination. I am on the fence whether this racial discrimination or not. It could be racial discrimination. It's only offensive when non-black people say it so why forbid black people to say it? That seems like singling black people out. But does the offensiveness of what the NFL wants to prohibit even matter? I don't think so. If they want to ban a non-controversial word or phrase, they could if they want to. They could ban the word "frisbee" if they want to. It seems like the motivation is to protect their image and avoid problems. Some people still are offended just by the word itself. Even if it is not meant in a bad way and even if it just between black people, the word still has a racist meaning attached to it. The word is still be publicized and promoted and the racist version of the word gets indirectly promoted. And not all black people are not cool with the word coming from black people even if the intentions are obviously not hateful or racist.

If this is racial discrimination, it seems like such a minor form of it that I doubt anyone is going to try to fight it. It's well-intentioned and will probably make the NFL a better place to be employed. The NFLPA is not the NAACP and, their job is not simply to make sure the players get whatever they want. They exist to make sure they get fair pay, fair hours, safe work conditions, etc... They don't exist to file discrimination lawsuits on behalf of SOME of their players. The players have their own attorneys for that. They aren't going to fight so that their black players can use the "n-word." And I doubt any of the black players will either. Although, I'd like to see what happens when a black player actually breaks the rule and they try to enforce it. Maybe I am wrong, maybe the player would sue, maybe the NAACP does get involved, but I doubt it is high on their agenda.

I know black people have the right to use the n-word, but people have to give up rights some times to get something in return. When white and other people who are not black say the n-word it is offensive, but they actually DO have a constitutional right to say it, so they are giving up their right too. So that is why I would say it is NOT discrimination.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...atrocious-idea

Richard Sherman spoke out against it. He seems to be saying kind of what you said in the bolded part.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #114
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...atrocious-idea

Richard Sherman spoke out against it. He seems to be saying kind of what you said in the bolded part.
yeah, but I have kind of gone away from that opinion. You can forget, as I did, that people have a right to say pretty much what they want whether it is offensive or not. So everyone in the league is giving up the same rights here with this rule.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #115
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
yeah, but I have kind of gone away from that opinion. You can forget, as I did, that people have a right to say pretty much what they want whether it is offensive or not. So everyone in the league is giving up the same rights here with this rule.

Yeah, kind of. We can probably agree that if white guy drops an N word it gets a different reaction than if a black guy drops it. Kind of like that scene when Jamie Kennedy drops it in "Malibu's most wanted"

Seems like this could be covered under unsportsmanlike conduct without trying to force a new rule in there. That way, if someone does a Riley Cooper on the field, that can be called and enforced and if one black guy says to another black guy "You knocked that N out" it can roll on.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #116
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Yeah, kind of. We can probably agree that if white guy drops an N word it gets a different reaction than if a black guy drops it. Kind of like that scene when Jamie Kennedy drops it in "Malibu's most wanted"

Seems like this could be covered under unsportsmanlike conduct without trying to force a new rule in there. That way, if someone does a Riley Cooper on the field, that can be called and enforced and if one black guy says to another black guy "You knocked that N out" it can roll on.
The NFL could do that if they wanted to, but I think they have decided as a league that they want to disassociate themselves with the n-word completely and they don't want to treat their players differently in doing so. The offensiveness has nothing to do with the analysis. Everyone is giving up the right to use the same word they otherwise would have the constitutional right to use under the First Amendment.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #117
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #118
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-o...earment-030414
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #119
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Tigga please ! Enough of this thread !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote