CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
gamecockgal
MWard
Spurticus
uscjeremynca
75CarolinaFan
B-G
sanford
b381l
TheUniversityofSC
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Sidney Rice Retiring (1727)
SOS Dominating SEC M (459)
Bonefish Grill (452)
What Are The Most Im (382)
Places to eat in Con (303)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (302)
This Song is the F'i (294)
FAIRGROUNDS PARKING (198)
George Harrison Memo (182)
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Missing that annual relea
Places To Eat In Beufort
Sidney Rice Retiring From
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Official WWE Thread
NFL Evaluations of underc
Rory Anderson Questionabl
Jaguars Justin Blackmon A
Texags

Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Baseball History

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
I remember and its hard, but i feel like we thought the last game was going to be vs UGA, we got down 8 runs, and came back in the last few innings to win. I would have loved for that to have been how we closed out the sarge. I remember going to pretty much all regionals and super regionals since around 97' dad was a gamecock ambassador, so we went. One year we beat UCF twice in a regional to move on to a super regional ( i feel like that was our first super regional win) i also remember being there for a downpour vs ECU, and lastly but sadly remember the U-LA-LA series where the most dominate Gamecock baseball team ever got beat by a bunch of junkballers, ugh that sucked. Honorable mention, Jim Thoman(sp) getting tossed and going on a rant was so funny
The year we beat UCF in the regional in Columbia was 2001 and we went on to lose to Stanford that season in the Supers. That regional was actually the first time I went to a game at the Sarge. We won our first Super against Miami in Columbia the following year, with a great comeback in the 3rd game (which I missed because my dad insisted we leave early).

The Toman ejection when I was in school was my favorite ejection of all time, I didn't think it was ever going to end. If I remember correctly it was the Friday night game against either Vandy circa the Pedro Alvarez era or UGA. I didn't think he was ever going to leave the field that night.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #22
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
The year we beat UCF in the regional in Columbia was 2001 and we went on to lose to Stanford that season in the Supers. That regional was actually the first time I went to a game at the Sarge. We won our first Super against Miami in Columbia the following year, with a great comeback in the 3rd game (which I missed because my dad insisted we leave early).

The Toman ejection when I was in school was my favorite ejection of all time, I didn't think it was ever going to end. If I remember correctly it was the Friday night game against either Vandy circa the Pedro Alvarez era or UGA. I didn't think he was ever going to leave the field that night.
And it was great because he wasnt a guy known to get upset.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 200
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Can't forget the 5 straight homers vs Georgia! What a moment in time that was...... freakish even!

The fact it happened in the Tourny even added to the drama!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #24
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
Can't forget the 5 straight homers vs Georgia! What a moment in time that was...... freakish even!

Wow, thats incredible.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post

if only the rest of that series had gone that way.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #26
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:

That was also the year we beat Clemson in the CWS back-to-back to keep them out of the championship game ... the first time. The games weren't even close, either. I believe we won by 8 runs both games. We got beat pretty handily by Texas for the title, but it was awesome sending the Tigers packing.

I also have to give a shout out for Michael Campbell, the Winchester Rifle. I was at his first at-bat and his last at-bat at the Sarge. He almost opened and closed his home career with home runs. He jacked his first one, and gave his last one a good ride, but didn't quite get it out.

This thread is great. It's awesome reading and remembering all the good times the baseball team has given us over the years. I was on my way to Litchfield with my family listening to the 3rd Miami game in the Super Regional of '02. Since then, I've been hooked. I started at Carolina that fall and went to just about every home game. Some who have been on CT for a while may remember me doing play-by-play of a lot of the games I couldn't get to. That's actually how I got a vast majority of my posts on here.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
USC66
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 47400
USC66 has earned his spursUSC66 has earned his spursUSC66 has earned his spursUSC66 has earned his spursUSC66 has earned his spursUSC66 has earned his spurs

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9U_B4hLB_w

I was at this game and Toman really got the crowd fired up. What you can't see in the video is how he took his time leaving the field. he grabbed his bag, pumped his fist to the crowd and walked down the right side fence. We laughed because he was milking it for all it was worth but he was right. Blue was terrible that night.

Another great memory I have from the Sarge was the walk off Grand Slam in the 10th by Coutlangus over Vandy. I remember it capping a big late inning comeback and the crowd went crazy.

Another memory was a pitcher we had I believe in the early 80's named Joe Kucharski. Guy could throw 100 mph but sometimes had control issues. He was fun to watch.

Lots of memories there and I could go on and on.
USC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #28
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
That was also the year we beat Clemson in the CWS back-to-back to keep them out of the championship game ... the first time. The games weren't even close, either. I believe we won by 8 runs both games. We got beat pretty handily by Texas for the title, but it was awesome sending the Tigers packing.
well our pitching staff was pretty taxed at that point...it was going to take another miracle outing by Rawl in the the championship game against Texas to win that one.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #29
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:

In May 2001, I just moved to California. Arrived in Sacramento on a Thursday (May 24 I think). The following weekend, drove to Stanford and saw Game 3 of the Super Regional. Awesome experience! If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure baseline Jesus was there at the game!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #30
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I was at this game and Toman really got the crowd fired up. What you can't see in the video is how he took his time leaving the field. he grabbed his bag, pumped his fist to the crowd and walked down the right side fence. We laughed because he was milking it for all it was worth but he was right. Blue was terrible that night.
That was one of the worse called games I have ever seen at any level. It is right up there with the Saturday game against UCF in the '01 regional in my book.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #31
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Not ashamed to admit that this thread has brought a tear to my eye. I have so many memories from the Sarge and seeing ball games with my grand father and my dad when I was little
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #32
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

2002 CWS when Dyson, Powell and the guys rocked clempsin with a barrage of homers!! I've never laughed so hard.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #33
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
Do you remember what the expectations of the "Night the Tigers Were Tamed" expectations and how both teams were doing?
I remember the basketball team only scored 39 on the Tigers and the baseball team scored 38.

And it does still bring a tear everytime I think about Sarge standing out there overseeing the preparations.

We lost 2 great fixtures from Sarge Frye Field this year. Jim Seay (play by play) and Ike McCleese (Third Base Heckler Emeritus).

And who could forget the shade you could get from Randy Mazey's nose.

Last edited by RoosterBooster; 02-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.
RoosterBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #34
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
I remember the basketball team only scored 39 on the Tigers and the baseball team scored 38.

And it does still bring a tear everytime I think about Sarge standing out there overseeing the preparations.

We lost 2 great fixtures from Sarge Frye Field this year. Jim Seay (play by play) and Ike McCleese (Third Base Heckler Emeritus).

And who could forget the shade you could get from Randy Mazey's nose.
NOW it's a proper thread about the good ole days at the Sarge. Mazey has made an appearance. Jeez I can't stand that guy!

I miss Ike dearly. He was a good friend.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #35
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

This thread makes me so freakin sad
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #36
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPitpalmettosc rules the CockPit

I loved just pulling a truck up to the outfield and sitting watching the game.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #37
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Doesn't really have anything to do with our field, but remember this?

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote