CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
auslander
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
Rebel4ever
ccured
Luke Skycocker
TAFC 5 1981
nodnahs
SwampFox
PSU drops a prospect (1767)
Mizzou WR suspended (746)
John Abraham DUI (616)
Best Offensive " (519)
I was there, when (491)
Rokevious Watkins cu (451)
Re-Airing South Caro (436)
Clemson, Auburn home (344)
Travelle Warton reti (343)
Fall Camp. (230)
2015 - Jalen Julius
Blake McClain
Green and Lammons
Clemson Recruiting...how
Re-Airing South Carolina
NCAA FB: USC vs. Texas A&
NCAA FB: SEC West Over/Un
Mizzou WR suspended for s
NCAA FB: SEC East Over/Un
Shaw Interview: SB Nation

Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material
Default Ronnie Martin to transfer

South Carolina cornerback Ronnie Martin is going to transfer. He has not participated in winter workouts lately and is no longer with the program. He's going to finish out the semester at South Carolina and then transfer to USC Upstate, most likely.
JDRAY^# is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Ronnie Martin to transfer

these freshmen DBs better be ready to contribute...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

WTF?!

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

guess he figured he would never see the field. best of luck to him
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
WTF?!
Not all that surprising really. We knew a few people were going to be advised to transfer and in this case, he might have seen on his own that he wasn't going to be seeing the field. I have nothing but respect for the young men that come in and try their best, nothing to be downplayed and wish him the best of luck.

Last edited by trapper82; 03-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.
trapper82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Hate to say it, but I saw this one coming.
When we got the commits from Green and Smith to go along with
already having Harris Jr on board, I didn't think we'd see Martin as a major
contributor of the secondary this season. Martin was said to have been
an exceptional cover corner coming out of HS, but he apparently couldn't
show enough ability to get a minimal amout of PT this past season in our
thin secondary. ......... Didn't expect to see him much this coming season
as well unless he was on S/Teams.

I have nothing against Martin as a player, just didn't see him as a major
player with the defense this year unless we failed to sign either Smith OR Green.
Turns out we got both, and I expected Martin to transfer, or settle in to
playing on the Kickoff and/or Kick Coverage teams.

Good Luck to him where ever he ends up. Hope he gets some PT there.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Not really surprising really. We knew a few people were going to be advised to transfer and in this case, he might have seen on his own that he wasn't going to be seeing the field. I have nothing but respect for the young men that come in and try their best, nothing to be downplayed and wish him the best of luck.
^
Beat me by a few seconds.

I fully agree though.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Yes this has been known for months now.

A few more coming too
Old 03-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I hope the freshmen are mature and ready to be disciplined.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
When we got the commits from Green and Smith to go along with
already having Harris Jr on board, I didn't think we'd see Martin as a major
contributor of the secondary this season. Martin was said to have been
an exceptional cover corner coming out of HS, but he apparently couldn't
show enough ability to get a minimal amout of PT this past season in our
thin secondary. ......... Didn't expect to see him much this coming season
as well unless he was on S/Teams.

I have nothing against Martin as a player, just didn't see him as a major
player with the defense this year unless we failed to sign either Smith OR Green.
Turns out we got both, and I expected Martin to transfer, or settle in to
playing on the Kickoff and/or Kick Coverage teams.

Good Luck to him where ever he ends up. Hope he gets some PT there.
Don't forget Lammons. Smith is likely a S long term.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
But still somewhat disappointing considering he was supposedly a rocket during the Shrine Bowl a few years back.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Not all that surprising really. We knew a few people were going to be advised to transfer and in this case, he might have seen on his own that he wasn't going to be seeing the field. I have nothing but respect for the young men that come in and try their best, nothing to be downplayed and wish him the best of luck.
I thought he was injured last season and that's why he didn't play as much. I had high hopes for him and thought he had the potential to be a good one. O well, best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Yes this has been known for months now.

A few more coming too
The numbers always work out...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
boness
Recruit

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I thought he was injured last season and that's why he didn't play as much. I had high hopes for him and thought he had the potential to be a good one. O well, best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next.
ditto above.... This one seems to b expected hearing many of you post but if indeed he ws encouraged or wasn't expected to contend for PT it doesn't pass the sense test for me given we just reevaluated and resigned him this past cycle after having seen him vs stiffer comp AND he was supposedly injured this past season.
Is this an example of extremly poor evaulation? if not then what is the cause??
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

That hurts our depth. Hope the frosh can come in and play on day one.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
ditto above.... This one seems to b expected hearing many of you post but if indeed he ws encouraged or wasn't expected to contend for PT it doesn't pass the sense test for me given we just reevaluated and resigned him this past cycle after having seen him vs stiffer comp AND he was supposedly injured this past season.
Is this an example of extremly poor evaulation? if not then what is the cause??
1. There was not really a numbers issue last year.
2. Evaluations don't always pan out for various reasons. None of us know enough to say for sure so getting into why it happened won't help much. Until proven otherwise I always assume the guy did his best and just has a better chance of playing elsewhere.
3. His name was listed as a probable transfer months ago in recruiting discussions.
4. Not sure if it hurts our depth or not. It only does if he would have seen the field over the incoming guys.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Don't forget Lammons. Smith is likely a S long term.
Is everybody assuming that because he's tall? Or are his feet not quick enough to play corner? I think it would be good to have tall corners.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
c0ckkn0cker
Walk On

Male

c0ckkn0cker has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post
Is everybody assuming that because he's tall? Or are his feet not quick enough to play corner? I think it would be good to have tall corners.
He is an incredible tackler in space and has more room to grow size wise.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Making next year's depth chart a little more attractive to the 2015 CB recruits. No sure it will be enough if Lammons, Harris, Groves, McWilliams and Green settle in though.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

The silver lining is that Jamari Smith may be excelling in the weight room and conditioning drills. Maybe Martin sees the handwriting on the wall as far as competing for PT next year. This is total speculation, but seems like good news about Jamari if indeed the transfer is related to numbers.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote