CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
spareparts
johnnyb
Aggie96
SuperCockMaster
jebodiah
Master Bedroom
Spurticus
WeStillOwnUSC
75CarolinaFan
Devonte Holloman Ret (2766)
I have not bought in (1267)
JD & DJ Getting (1246)
Article on Shaw & (1234)
Aggie looking forwar (1189)
Cockaboose Owners (1070)
and the #1 2014 acc (1007)
SEC East QB's Ranked (900)
I'm thinking we're g (834)
Clemson OT to transf (660)
JD & DJ Getting Love
Watch ESPN app on Xbox On
First "Carolina Call
I have not bought into ou
SEC East QB's Ranked
The bane of our season
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Really excited to visit t
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Caldwell at Leadoff

He's not the prototypical leadoff hitter. He swings at the first pitch almost every time, he has the lowest on base percentage of anyone with significant playing time, and he's not a speed demon. I have to wonder if he can stay at the top of the order for much longer or if Mooney or English or even Shrock will move into the leadoff spot.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Caldwell at Leadoff

I think it's kind of a temporary thing til Holbrook can find someone capable of taking over the leadoff spot. He doesn't wanna put Shrock there because he's better to have in the middle of the lineup. Mooney has been hitting about .260 up to this point and English doesn't get on base nearly enough. I think he'll plug Mooney at the leadoff spot eventually.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Think Celek will get the weekend DH spot after that big hit and Caldwell will sit after struggling this weekend. Caldwell may get PT at left field but Arendas played well at third base. Pankake will play left field if DC stays at third. I could see Mooney leading off-especially if he can put the ball in play like he did in the ninth inning tonight. As previously stated, it's early in the season and Holbrook is still trying to find his weekend lineup.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Not sure I agree with this. He may not be the most ideal lead-off hitter, but he's been more consistent than anyone else we have a mind to place there. He rarely strikes out (by my count, only 2 - although I dont know how many strikeouts he had in the last game against clemson). He doesnt walk a TON, but he's got 3 or 4 walks. So he's walking more than striking out (early in the season, I know I know). His batting aveage is respectable, and he's middle-of-the-line in speed(Not English fast, but has a few steps on Celek).

Let's look at the other options:

Shrock has great plate discipline, but his battle average was below .250 before this weekend.

Mooney came up HUGE this series, and has great lead-off speed - but has actually looked probably the worst of any player at the plate, yet. His batting average was around .230ish, IIRC (before the series).

English - Never had a great Strikeout-to-walk ratio. Breathtaking speed, but sometimes questionable base-running skills. Also, for whatever reason, has never been able to produce when placed at or near the front of the lineup, as opposed to at the back end

The rest of the guys are pretty obvious scratches, either because they're not all that fast, or because we've got them in great spots and they're producing (like Connor Bright, who's just killing it for us in the middle of the lineup).

I do agree that Caldwell has a penchant for swinging at the first pitch (So does English). Hopefully some coaching will get him to take a few pitches, so we can work their pitcher and give the rest of the guys a chance to see what he's dealing... but I believe that Caldwell is a very suitable lead-off hitter, and will probably hold onto that role until Mooney starts providing a more reliable option.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

He's hitting 7 for 27 (BA.259, OB% .344)......we're doing pretty well with him hitting leadoff, at least for now. I'm not sure we have that typical leadoff hitter. It seems others do much better hitting somewhere else.

Last edited by b381l; 03-03-2014 at 02:27 AM.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

I think it's a really puzzling decision. At least it hasn't bit us yet!
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Good question. Schrocks walk numbers and his ability to swipe second indicate that he is our best fit but I like him in the two hole. He has good power and I would like someone on base when he is at the plate. I think he and griener are getting the best at bats on the team right now.

I wish tanner could walk more. He would be the obvious choice.

Bright is good where he is. Very happy with him.

I guess Caldwell needs to stay. We are undefeated after all.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Good question. Schrocks walk numbers and his ability to swipe second indicate that he is our best fit but I like him in the two hole. He has good power and I would like someone on base when he is at the plate. I think he and griener are getting the best at bats on the team right now.

I wish tanner could walk more. He would be the obvious choice.

Bright is good where he is. Very happy with him.

yep....hard to argue with success....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post

Valid point. If it ain't broke, maybe we should't fix it. Just think we may see more Celek at DH. Doesn't necessarily mean Caldwell will sit though if he plays left field.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

DC seems like a candidate for lead-off hitter. He battles and does not strike out much.

Mooney maybe doesn't hit quite enough. Looks like he has a home at the 8 spot.

English is fine at 9, giving you the possibility of speed guys at the top and bottom of the order.

Caldwell, while not prototypical, looks to have good speed and base-running savvy. His average is good and he does not strike out. Hard to argue with the big brains we have as coaching.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote