CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
B-G
GregoryHouse
JerseyBird
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
usc1
Regalcock
The Yancey
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
2014 Subway Classic: (1859)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1194)
Former Gamecock root (1192)
Franks boy's are pla (863)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Four USC Basketball (660)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (483)
Bowl packages (412)
Kentucky is dominati (408)
Chance of my lifetim (345)
Kentucky is dominating UC
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Question for those who ha
Franks boy's are playing
How Long Will The Rebuild
Decommitment from Texas A
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant

Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #21
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ronnie Martin to transfer

I think everyone needs to go ahead and assume at least 3 more people (possibly 4-5) currently on the roster will be choosing to transfer before Summer 2 is done. If this shocked you, just wanted you to be prepared.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

This all but assures me that all of the incoming CB's are going to have substantial playing time.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #23
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Good luck Ronnie. I wish you the best.
scfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
This all but assures me that all of the incoming CB's are going to have substantial playing time.
You just don't come in and play D because you have the athletic talent. It takes half a season to learn where to be etc. They have to have time to gain the knowledge. This was very evident last year when fans were too demanding of new talent on the D. Fans were asking for coaches resignations but by midseason the new talent began to gain the knowledge they needed to stop offenses. Will fans wait till midseason for the coaches to coach and the new guys to absorb the coaching? I don't think so. I think R Martin would be needed early and be ready to perform game one.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

This should come as no surprise. It's been discussed a number of times on here in the past. The one thing I am surprised at is he says he's going to Upstate. They don't have a football team.....I think he'll end up going somewhere that he can play.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #26
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
You just don't come in and play D because you have the athletic talent. It takes half a season to learn where to be etc. They have to have time to gain the knowledge. This was very evident last year when fans were too demanding of new talent on the D. Fans were asking for coaches resignations but by midseason the new talent began to gain the knowledge they needed to stop offenses. Will fans wait till midseason for the coaches to coach and the new guys to absorb the coaching? I don't think so. I think R Martin would be needed early and be ready to perform game one.
Thing is, he isn't on the team, that is one less CB. One more spot.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #27
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I watched his tapes before he committed and thought he would have been a great safety. He was a head hunter with a nose for the ball. I hate to think we are going to have to go through growing pains like we did for the first part of last season again next year.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #28
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I think everyone needs to go ahead and assume at least 3 more people (possibly 4-5) currently on the roster will be choosing to transfer before Summer 2 is done. If this shocked you, just wanted you to be prepared.
Updated numbers removing Martin and Sawyer.....assuming everyone else qualifies, we are now at 88.....so we'll need for 6 to leave.
Green, Brent, Fuller, TE, Fleetwood, Sport, DE (currently have 11 with no seniors), OL (currently have 16 with 3 seniors)
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #29
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Don't think I had heard of him.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #30
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Thing is, he isn't on the team, that is one less CB. One more spot.
I am aware he isn't on the team. That is the title of this thread,

My point was that he was an experienced CB we could have used in game one. We lose his experience. He was no. two on the depth chart. He would have played definitely in those hot September games where DBs drop like flies from the heat and dehydration. Now we will be forced to play frosh that wont be fully trained in all the different coverages. Remember how intolerant fans were with our new LBs last year early in the season?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
I am aware he isn't on the team. That is the title of this thread,

My point was that he was an experienced CB we could have used in game one. We lose his experience. He was no. two on the depth chart. He would have played definitely in those hot September games where DBs drop like flies from the heat and dehydration. Now we will be forced to play frosh that wont be fully trained in all the different coverages. Remember how intolerant fans were with our new LBs last year early in the season?
Fan intolerance is irrelevant. The Gamecocks lost to UGA, in part, because of coverage mistakes. True freshman will make them when they are on the field unless they are Stephon Gilmore type of people.

Ahmad Christian transferred because he wanted to play baseball and football. Coach Holbrook did not have a scholarship for him to play baseball. He had a good reason to transfer and it is not the football coaching staff's fault.

Ronnie Martin may not want to play football anymore or he would have transferred to a FCS school where he could have received a football scholarship. Again, not the football coaches fault.

The only thing you can fault them for is not having enough cornerbacks on the team to provide depth beyond true freshman. Even with the transfers the Gamecocks are still four deep at CB, and some of the safeties are being cross trained to play CB. The best athletes will be on the field, and that probably will include a S playing CB in the early part of the season until the freshman are up to speed on assignments and coverages.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #32
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
After a two year JUCO stint, the former 2011 Gamecock signee finally makes it to Columbia.

Ronnie Martin
Junior Cornerback
5'10", 185 lbs.
Spartanburg, SC

Recruitment:
3 stars, #6 JUCO CB in 2013 class
Other offers: Out of highschool was offered by the likes of LSU, Maryland, Nebraska, and Illinois

College Career:
After signing with South Carolina as a part of the 2011 class, Ronnie didn't qualify academically and attended Georgia Military Junior College for two years. He enrolled at South Carolina in January and will be eligible to play this fall.

2012 Stats*:
3 games played, 10 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, 2 force fumbled

*Stats from Georgia Military College. Martin was limited in 2012 due to a hamstring injury.

2013 Outlook:
Martin steps into a cornerback rotation that, beyond starters Vic Hampton and Jimmy Legree, isn't brimming with experience. To wit, Martin will have the opportunity to see the field plenty, but he injured his other hamstring in spring practice—another in a series of obstacles Martin's encountered since graduating high school. (Seems like Ronnie's taking over Akeem Auguste's role of hardluck Gameock cornerback.) At any rate, there hasn't been much reported out of fall practice regarding Martin one way or the other, so it may be late August before it can be determined if he's still listed as Legree's backup or if he gives way to the likes of redshirt freshman Rico McWilliams.
Personally, it sounds like the guy has a very high ceiling but has always been hampered with injury problems and now has 2 years left to play. (Sounds like he RS'ed 2011, played some for GMC in '12 and was injured in spring of 2013) Maybe he would qualify for a medical redshirt, maybe not. Either way, it seems he feels his best chance to play is elsewhere.

We have McWilliams and Smith as good anchors. Ali Groves has a chance to prove himself, and then we factor in all the newcomers, of which I think DJ Smith, Wesley Green and Al Harris, Jr. could all see some good playing time this year. That is a very, very solid group. Young, but solid.

If you are going to be young at a position, DB is the best one in my opinion as it takes the most to go right for the offense to capitalize on that area.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #33
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Atleast we have a 4 deep of veteran safeties behind them
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #34
Rooster'srule
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Fan intolerance is irrelevant. The Gamecocks lost to UGA, in part, because of coverage mistakes. True freshman will make them when they are on the field unless they are Stephon Gilmore type of people.

Ahmad Christian transferred because he wanted to play baseball and football. Coach Holbrook did not have a scholarship for him to play baseball. He had a good reason to transfer and it is not the football coaching staff's fault.

Ronnie Martin may not want to play football anymore or he would have transferred to a FCS school where he could have received a football scholarship. Again, not the football coaches fault.

The only thing you can fault them for is not having enough cornerbacks on the team to provide depth beyond true freshman. Even with the transfers the Gamecocks are still four deep at CB, and some of the safeties are being cross trained to play CB. The best athletes will be on the field, and that probably will include a S playing CB in the early part of the season until the freshman are up to speed on assignments and coverages.
Just a slight correction. Whammy, Brown and Spurrier have always said the defensive back field are crossed trained...as well as the WRs.
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #35
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
Just a slight correction. Whammy, Brown and Spurrier have always said the defensive back field are crossed trained...as well as the WRs.
I thought Wammy and staff did a really great job teaching the new players last season but it did not happen on day one. It took half the season. The same D that played Georgia loose was unrecognizable in the late season. That same D became feared.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #36
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114054578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Remember how bad the 4 star freshman corners for Uga looked early in the season and even late against aubie.

We will have some growing pains.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #37
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

They will grow up quick, the DBS, like our lbs did last year. Just hope it doesn't cost us too bad. Let me play man is what I say
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #38
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Let the corners play man, not me. Haha
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote