CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
usc90grad
cockybreeyan
18IsTheMan
spareparts
soccerguy79
Yearofthegamecock
Cockypantherfan
markp_vip
A&M vent thread (19148)
SOS is pissed (9700)
Jimmies and Joes (3472)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
So, Dylan Thompson? (2923)
Man of my word (no t (2415)
I'm not looking forw (2032)
Worst Beating since? (1769)
Just a friendly PSA (1749)
Good effort Cocks (1581)
Is anybody still optimist
Full game video - aTm
2010 Auburn/FSU beatdowns
So, Dylan Thompson?
Good Game Cocks!
Ward's D has a pattern no
Play for next year
Jimmies and Joes
Confused fan here. Why i
Which is a worse loss to

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #121
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20258950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. Florida GAME Thread**

Nahhh, UK isn't a very good team.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #122
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

We've seen it a lot this season where we've played a good, if not even great, first half and then faltered down the stretch. I see it as a positive sign that we're able to compete with teams that are clearly better than us. We just don't have the depth to carry that kind of effort through an entire game. Hopefully this will change as Martin gets more of his recruits on campus.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #123
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

I don't see UF getting far in the tourney once they go up against other conference refs. Once they start getting called on some of those reach in fouls, and fouls under the basket they will fall out of their element.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #124
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Here is the analysis of the last two games:

KY: We fought hard, KY had an off night and because they are young, they folded to a more determined team. They do not have the experience to handle that situation. We won a game on effort.

FLA: We hung in for a half. FLA went into the locker and took off the Clark Kent suit for the second half. We could not shoot or run offense, their defense is very good. FLA is a good, seasoned team.

This has nothing to do with the progress of this team. We will be better with more depth and a couple more players.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #125
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

We still have major issues in the post. Carrera and Henry combined for 0 points and 8 fouls. Ringer didn't last a minute before he was pulled. The Europeans looked good in the first half, but disappeared in the second. I can't say I've seen a lot of improvement in any of them since the beginning of the season.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #126
Taylorspur
Recruit

Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

L-Chat did not play that much in the second half for some reason, but Steele sure did. He fired up exactly 2 points and how many turnovers?
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #127
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
News flash, we're still a bad bball team and short 3-4 players. UK didn't change that and UF exposes it in a bad way. We will be building for a long time. 2 seasons min from the looks of things tonight.
It might take longer than 2 seasons. It'll take Frank as long as it took Dawn. We're not good and I thought these group of new players would get us competitive. If Frank wants to stick it out he can get us there but we have a long way to go.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #128
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
We still have major issues in the post. Carrera and Henry combined for 0 points and 8 fouls. Ringer didn't last a minute before he was pulled. The Europeans looked good in the first half, but disappeared in the second. I can't say I've seen a lot of improvement in any of them since the beginning of the season.
Henry does absolutely nothing when he is in except get beat and foul.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #129
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
It might take longer than 2 seasons. It'll take Frank as long as it took Dawn. We're not good and I thought these group of new players would get us competitive. If Frank wants to stick it out he can get us there but we have a long way to go.
Yea, I agree and was being somewhat overly optimistic with the 2 years although I think with 2 very strong recruiting classes the team can be competitive in most games and pull off more upsets. To be a consistent winner like the wbb team, it will take a really long time and I don't think Frank stays that long. Whether it's his choice or someone else. He just can't get his style of game played with the "talent" he has. Most of the guys on this team wouldn't see the floor for many teams around the country yet he has to play them.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #130
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
UF coaches made changes and their team responded. Good sign of a very good team. We were in it because they weren't in the 1st half.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #131
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

our offense was awful in the 2nd half and we never located frazier all night. once it was 39-35 it caught up with us. that was the turning point, bad turnover, fast break foul, they miss both free throws and we let them get the offensive rebound and it eventually leads to a 3 and they were off from there.

brenton williams made those 2 threes during that 7-0 run to cut it to 39-35. we made 5 shots total the entire 2nd half.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #132
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yea, I agree and was being somewhat overly optimistic with the 2 years although I think with 2 very strong recruiting classes the team can be competitive in most games and pull off more upsets. To be a consistent winner like the wbb team, it will take a really long time and I don't think Frank stays that long. Whether it's his choice or someone else. He just can't get his style of game played with the "talent" he has. Most of the guys on this team wouldn't see the floor for many teams around the country yet he has to play them.
I think Frank will stay the course in Columbia. He knew this was a big rebuilding job when he got here. He spoke many times about changing the culture of the program just like Spurrier did with the football team. Frank will get his recruits and we will see the results soon. The next two years we should see a big change for the better. Don't forget he just cleaned house this time last year. Not so sure about next year, but I think expecting a tourney team the year after next is reasonable.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #133
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I think Frank will stay the course in Columbia. He knew this was a big rebuilding job when he got here. He spoke many times about changing the culture of the program just like Spurrier did with the football team. Frank will get his recruits and we will see the results soon. The next two years we should see a big change for the better. Don't forget he just cleaned house this time last year. Not so sure about next year, but I think expecting a tourney team the year after next is reasonable.
Yes, I get that but all new coaches in all sports usually use the "change the culture" talk. The culture isn't the issue, it's talent. Maybe coaching style to match that talent but that's yet to be seen. I think if Frank were to answer honestly about this he'd say it's much tougher than he thought it would be coming in. We will continue to struggle with recruiting and lose far more than we win. He needs to continue to land top in state talent. The Peak kid from Gaffney is one example. He was a long shot but those are the types that Spurrier kept a home and built much of our success around. We got 1, but we need many many more and they're far less common in SC HS BB.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #134
uscalum92
Walk On

Male

uscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Yes, I get that but all new coaches in all sports usually use the "change the culture" talk. The culture isn't the issue, it's talent. Maybe coaching style to match that talent but that's yet to be seen. I think if Frank were to answer honestly about this he'd say it's much tougher than he thought it would be coming in. We will continue to struggle with recruiting and lose far more than we win. He needs to continue to land top in state talent. The Peak kid from Gaffney is one example. He was a long shot but those are the types that Spurrier kept a home and built much of our success around. We got 1, but we need many many more and they're far less common in SC HS BB.
He told Jim Rome on CBS Sports Radio the other day that it WAS tougher than he thought it was going to be. And yes, he does have to change the "culture" of USC basketball. Just look back on our 20+ years in the SEC.
uscalum92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #135
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscalum92 View Post
He told Jim Rome on CBS Sports Radio the other day that it WAS tougher than he thought it was going to be. And yes, he does have to change the "culture" of USC basketball. Just look back on our 20+ years in the SEC.
Ok great, he answered honestly something that we all already should know. Again, the culture change is just coach talk for it's a work in process. The way to change culture is to stop sucking and win. May take him longer than he thinks and even longer than he's given time for. Who knows? I hope it's next year but I wouldn't bet on it right now.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #136
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
This team needs major changes. I don't want to hear any sunshine pumpers pointing to that FLUKE game on Sunday as some kind of sign that things are okay as they are an they will naturally get better with a little more practice because that is complete BS.
Maybe you should take some time to understand how college basketball works. Yes, the Gamecocks need more talent, but more than talent they need experience and leadership. Our team is too young. When your talent doesn't surpass your youth, this is the type of team you get. I still don't get how people are getting mad at this team for losing to teams who they're supposed to lose to. Did you expect the Gamecocks to be Final 4 Contenders?

I'm not worried at all. Sindarius and Notice is a nice duo on the wings to build around, Chatkevicius is starting to figure it out, Stroman is coming next season and we still have a chance of adding Dozier or Woods to the mix. This team plays hard, is defending better (minus last night with Frazier) and competes every game.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote