CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
CockyLifer
JerseyBird
The Yancey
kingoftheroost
SMOTFS86
Gamecocks1137
B-G
catdaddy66
**USC vs. Coker GAME (2228)
Bruce!!! (1421)
2014 Subway Classic: (1226)
Cocky at the Duck Co (286)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (219)
aTm demolishes Kyle (201)
movers, furniture do (190)
Streaming nfl games (173)
Deer Hunting 2014 (171)
Happy Winter Solstic (125)
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
2015 Commitment - Quandes
aTm demolishes Kyle Field
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
Cocky at the Duck Command
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Former Gamecock rooting f
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Bruce!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material
Default Long road for Coach Martin but...

he can make a winner here if he chooses. Now it's going to take as long as it did Coach Staley. If he decides to stay that long. I don't think changing coaches again within the next 5 years is the answer from an administration point of view. He needs as much time as Coach Staley and obviously show improvement. Improvement in our case is winning 5-6 SEC games within the next 2 years and hopefully 8-9 SEC wins in the next 5-6 years. We are looking up at Mount Everest. If Coach Martin can't get us to at least .500 in SEC play in the next 5-6 years then it might be time for a change. Coaching carousel in our case doesn't work like it does at UK and UNC when they had their minor bumps. If it doesn't work out with Coach Martin then the only way I see us being relevant in basketball is to make a splash hire. I mean a huge name like Spurrier in football and Staley in women's basketball. That would mean hiring a coach and paying him the big bucks. From what I see, it's Coach Martin with a 5-6 year window to get us to 8, 9-10 SEC wins or hire a BIG national name. Either way it's going to take a LONG time. I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material
Default Re: Long road for Coach Martin but...

The issue that I have is the amount of screaming and cussing he does to his players. It's a little over the top. JMTC
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

He's not going anywhere without turning our program around first.

Plus if he leaves without turning our program around, his value will have been diminished
substantially.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
The issue that I have is the amount of screaming and cussing he does to his players. It's a little over the top. JMTC
Yea he is always looking like he is gonna kill someone during timeouts...and the way he yells is rediculous

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

I sure do hope we keep him. He will turn us around. Frank is no quitter
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

He has his work cut out for him
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

He's old school. Let em raise hell!! Give him some time.
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

I really think Coach an turn the team around, but he does need to rein in his language and temper.
scfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 275
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
I agree, not proper behavior from a leader and a teacher. I'm afraid
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletes. I like
his passion, just not the way he expresses it.

Last edited by doc; 03-06-2014 at 04:13 PM.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

If you're winning a lot of that can be overlooked. If not, other than losing and bad basketball, his behavior is about all we see. I agree with the OP, long tough road ahead and I see very little to think things will change anytime soon. There are a few bright spots but not many and not often.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #11
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000995751
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletics. I like
Spurrier curses on the sideline, yells at players, hell he even throws his headset occasionally. Look where we are in football.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
This team fought like no other 11-18 team i have ever seen. The man gets through to his players, and you dont see the otherside of the coin. They all love Frank.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #13
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
this type of behavior will keep us from getting certain athletics. I like
Have you seen how much Dawn yells and carries on, and she has a top 5 team. On that note, Tanner was also ruff on players during there first year, granted he had guys who "figured it out" sooner seeing as how it has been pretty easy to recruit at sc

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 AM   #14
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
He's not going anywhere without turning our program around first.

Plus if he leaves without turning our program around, his value will have been diminished
substantially.
This is true. Whatever rep he has would take a hit if he bails on us without at least making steps forward. If he could make those steps in years to come, he could stay here a long time. I hope he can land some top players and make us competitive year in and year out. He's supposed to be a good recruiter. I just want us to be a solid program that can average 9 wins a year in the SEC, once in every few years make a run at an SEC title and national title. Just be one of those programs that people say, "Watch out for them", I'd really like for us to be a program like a Pitt or a Villanova or OK State. Name some more that you'd like us to be like. Not the Duke's or UNC or Syracuse or UK or Kansas cause we'll never be like that, I wish we could, but just a solid program that can make some noise every now and then.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #15
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It'll be interesting to see if the Miami job opens up again whether he tries to go after it. Other than that, I can't see another job that would pull him from Columbia right now.

As far as his behavior.. We knew what we were getting. I don't understand why people still complain about it.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #16
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Breaking News: Most College Coaches Yell At Players

Bob Knight made a Hall of Fame career out of it. As are Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and countless others. Frank will go overboard sometimes like all coaches who get caught up in the moment, but he means well. Bottom line is that the players are responding to the type of style he wants to play and are competing hard.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 AM   #17
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

I've sat down and had lunch with Michael Carerra in Russell House before. The way he talked about Frank, you could tell he loved him. He said Frank was the reason he came here. I believe his exact words were "Yeah he yells a lot. Frank is crazy, but he's a great guy." Something of that nature. He gets into his guys, but they believe in him. Let them worry about all the yelling.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, well you better get used to it. Same for anyone else that has a problem with it.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #19
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
I really think Coach an turn the team around, but he does need to rein in his language and temper.
He needs to win. Who cares about anything else.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #20
BigOrangeCrush
Spring is Coming

Male

BigOrangeCrush has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Breaking News: Most College Coaches Yell At Players

Bob Knight made a Hall of Fame career out of it. As are Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and countless others. Frank will go overboard sometimes like all coaches who get caught up in the moment, but he means well. Bottom line is that the players are responding to the type of style he wants to play and are competing hard.
apparently you haven't witnessed TN coach Martin...he is the exact opposite of SC coach Martin...I wish our coach had your coaches fire...actually I wish we had Bruce Pearl back...
BigOrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote