CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
taylorssc
gamecockphan
robgusc76
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4210)
USC/clemson spread (1948)
Bowl projections (1530)
In case no one saw.. (1490)
Why has there been 4 (820)
Odell Becham Catch (814)
A little late to the (720)
Tiger Burn (550)
No excuse for the D (528)
Texas A&M Defens (421)
The Realest Cooking Show
How do you prep your bird
Good Omen for Saturday?
Shaq Roland
Carolina-Clemson Trophy
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
The Defense
Bowl projections
USC/clemson spread
weekend conference Predic

Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Long road for Coach Martin but...

Thornwell is the best player we've had here since Downey at least, who was recruited by Odom.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #42
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Yeah, well you better get used to it. Same for anyone else that has a problem with it.

No thanks.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #43
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudly

I have to say: I respectfully disagree with anyone who says effort hasn't been a problem this year. Why else does Brian Steele see the court? Clearly, it's not his silky smooth jump shot or his shutdown defense. He's a grinder, which means Coach Martin isn't happy with the effort of some of the scholarship players. However, lack of effort certainly isn't the biggest problem, I agree. That distinction goes to the post play.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #44
Carolina-Beez
Two Deep

Male

Carolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudlyCarolina-Beez is crowing loudly

Quote:
IT DOES NOT MATTER if you like what Martin does, or you think it doesn't work, because that is HIS style and he is going to to keep doing it, and he will be coaching here for a good long while. So just get used to it and stop complaining about ridiculous things like this and support what he is trying to do here. It's not doing us any favors to bash our coach.
Here's a thought: Why don't you stop complaining about people complaining?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #45
Harry Tuttle
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000600
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Thornwell is the best player we've had here since Downey at least, who was recruited by Odom.
What about Baniulius? The Baltic bomber lol? I knew Horn was doomed when we lost to CofC and Baniulus was 8-8 from behind the arc. You should never lose a game and have a player perfect from behind the arc. Shoot till you miss.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #46
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

I still believe that if you need to do that much screaming and motivating during the game , you didn't do enough TEACHING during practice. You teach during practice and then you can spend more time coaching during the game.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #47
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
LOL. I'm so tired of posters pretending they are Audie Murphy. Yes, some of us were in the military. Boot camp lasted three months. For the rest of my service, no one ever got up in my grill and called me an a$$#%^. Ever. Much less on national television. I can't imagine any military man who would humiliate his troops in public and expect them to have his back in combat.
Guess you've never heard of George Patton huh? Look if you don't like it I suggest you don't watch because he not going to change. It doesn't matter really what you nor I think it's Frank's style. Some people can handle the hard approach and then some can't, I perfer the hard way.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #48
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999760
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

The mark of a good coach is one who can change his style to get the best out of his players.

As for the whole Soldier/Athlete debate, it is tiresome and apples to oranges. One is preparing to play a game, one is preparing to fight for life.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #49
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
The mark of a good coach is one who can change his style to get the best out of his players.

As for the whole Soldier/Athlete debate, it is tiresome and apples to oranges. One is preparing to play a game, one is preparing to fight for life.
I guess my sports career wasn't as lucky as most of my coach's (except my swim coach at USC) were former military and taught me the same way. It's not about fighting for your life, the marines tear you down and then build you up, I think we see the same thing with our bball team within the next few years. At least he isn't throwing chairs yet ie. Bobby knight ( he never yelled at his players did he)
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #50
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:

The mark of a good? Like you know what the mark of a good coach is. You people need to all get over yourself and let the guy coach the way HE thinks works. We don't need any psychological 2 cents from any one on here. It's nothing but a bunch of BS.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #51
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
What about Baniulius? The Baltic bomber lol? I knew Horn was doomed when we lost to CofC and Baniulus was 8-8 from behind the arc. You should never lose a game and have a player perfect from behind the arc. Shoot till you miss.
What is the point of this. Baniulus got hot a few games so that makes him a great player. He was terrible most of the time.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #52
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
The mark of a good? Like you know what the mark of a good coach is. You people need to all get over yourself and let the guy coach the way HE thinks works. We don't need any psychological 2 cents from any one on here. It's nothing but a bunch of BS.
AMEN!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #53
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Breaking News: Most College Coaches Yell At Players

Bob Knight made a Hall of Fame career out of it. As are Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino and countless others. Frank will go overboard sometimes like all coaches who get caught up in the moment, but he means well. Bottom line is that the players are responding to the type of style he wants to play and are competing hard.
These guys won a lot of games and championships. Frank gets angrier than I've ever been in my life the first time we turn the ball over. And he remains that way the entire game. He's never encouraging to his players during the game. It will hurt in recruiting if it already hasn't.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #54
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
LOL, I have been a varsity coach, had much success for adapting my style to the players I had to work with. Look at SOS. He tried the Fun and Gun here and it didn't work. He adapted to the talent and player and we went 11-2 for three straight years.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #55
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Here's a thought: Why don't you stop complaining about people complaining?
I am not complaining about you complaining. I telling you straight up to stop it. Because you are doing nothing but being a troublemaker. I'm not about sit back and try to run off a coach who is trying to fix things around here. He has SERIOUS problems he needs work on and we don't need him having to worry about his fans on his back about stupid little things like how he talks to HIS players. Not yours, HIS players! You don't like how he coaches? Go get your own basketball team.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #56
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
LOL, I have been a varsity coach, had much success for adapting my style to the players I had to work with. Look at SOS. He tried the Fun and Gun here and it didn't work. He adapted to the talent and player and we went 11-2 for three straight years.
Good for you! I'm sure you're making a lot more money than Martin is because of all your success and finding the secret to good coaching! Congratulations. Oh wait, no he has had a lot more success than you, so you are probably wrong.

And Spurrier hasn't adapted his coaching style or personality all that much. He tried a different offense system. That is like saying Martin needs to adapt and play more man-to-man defense. Well Martin WANTS to play more man-to-man but he didn't have the right PLAYERS so he ADAPTED and plays zone. Adapting doesn't mean change your personality and complete approach to coaching. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #57
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Good for you! I'm sure you're making a lot more money than Martin is because of all your success and finding the secret to good coaching! Congratulations. Oh wait, no he has had a lot more success than you, so you are probably wrong.

And Spurrier hasn't adapted his coaching style or personality all that much. He tried a different offense system. That is like saying Martin needs to adapt and play more man-to-man defense. Well Martin WANTS to play more man-to-man but he didn't have the right PLAYERS so he ADAPTED and plays zone. Adapting doesn't mean change your personality and complete approach to coaching. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
Not going to touch the personal attack.

But SOS has adapted his coaching style and has even said so many times. Martin has brought in most of the team this season. He needs to play to their strenghts.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #58
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Not going to touch the personal attack.

But SOS has adapted his coaching style and has even said so many times. Martin has brought in most of the team this season. He needs to play to their strenghts.
SOS adapted after getting his players in and getting them with the program before that he was doing alot of cussing and the same will happen with Coach Martin. If players are being taught one way and doing it a different way during the game then he needs to fire into them gosh forbid we have a coach that hugs them and says better luck next time.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #59
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
SOS adapted after getting his players in and getting them with the program before that he was doing alot of cussing and the same will happen with Coach Martin. If players are being taught one way and doing it a different way during the game then he needs to fire into them gosh forbid we have a coach that hugs them and says better luck next time.
Right and Martin has brought most of the current roster in. I am not saying he shouldn't get on them if they are making mistakes, but after all this time they are still making the same mistakes, that is on the coach.Williams was the only guy not brought in by Martin who is playing.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #60
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Right and Martin has brought most of the current roster in. I am not saying he shouldn't get on them if they are making mistakes, but after all this time they are still making the same mistakes, that is on the coach.Williams was the only guy not brought in by Martin who is playing.
OMG dude they are all freshman and they are going to make mistakes, somtimes the same mistakes over and over and they will get yelled at. Like I said if this is still going on in a couple of years than you may have a point but to expect guys that were in high school last year to learn and not make the same mistakes their 1st year in college is a pipe dream. For now what ALL Gamecock fans need to do is give full support and back our coach...period!(and no I'm not saying your not supporting the team I just feel strongly that neither you nor I have the right to question the man)