CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IBleedGarnetandBlack
The Yancey
peterlemon
Kyle76
18IsTheMan
bcolinc
zcoop
Cockypantherfan
WeStillOwnUSC
garnet_black215
The Demise of the 3- (2222)
East Carolina Predic (1468)
Why didn't Wes Green (1166)
A&M on 3rd down (569)
You guys are horribl (566)
Did we ever go after (517)
Finally Cooled Off (473)
louisville (414)
It's the offenses no (382)
MLS almost ready for (226)
whats up with Mike?
Name a Gamecock
Uniform thread
Watching the Georgia game
All of our defensive play
East Carolina Prediction
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Tanner McEvoy should've s
louisville
What would be your defini

Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #61
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: Long road for Coach Martin but...

The freshman excuse was gone mid way through sec play. Improve and cut down on mistakes. That is what needed to happen.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #62
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
He's not going anywhere without turning our program around first.

Plus if he leaves without turning our program around, his value will have been diminished
substantially.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #63
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Suspended for the last regular season game by Ray Tanner for "inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes".

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #64
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
The freshman excuse was gone mid way through sec play. Improve and cut down on mistakes. That is what needed to happen.
I see you say you used to be a coach so you should understand that most players in high school get by on just their talent but to learn the college game and everything that comes with the college game is night and day so your statement that that should have ended midway through the sec just doesn't hold water and if it does then you have just backed the reason he yells. If anyone that has watched them does not see the improvement made then they don't understand what they are watching. Once again back the coach and his way's. You don't have the right to be a sideline coach this early in his tenure.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #65
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Coach Martin is not going to stop his style of coaching. I'll be curious to see IF he can land some quality players and we win 8-9 SEC games if people will care about his coaching style. IF he can't get quality players and win 8-9 SEC games I doubt it will be cause of his coaching style but it would be a good excuse for some to fall back on. To me, he came in with the rep as a good recruiter so he better recruit. That's where he will turn us around or not. His coaching style will have nothing to do with it.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #66
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I see you say you used to be a coach so you should understand that most players in high school get by on just their talent but to learn the college game and everything that comes with the college game is night and day so your statement that that should have ended midway through the sec just doesn't hold water and if it does then you have just backed the reason he yells. If anyone that has watched them does not see the improvement made then they don't understand what they are watching. Once again back the coach and his way's. You don't have the right to be a sideline coach this early in his tenure.
Two things here. A I do have the right to be a " sideline coach" . We all do as fans.

If we have improved so much why do they make the same mistakes game after game. After 20 games into the year and having the playing time the guys have had the learning curve has gotten a lot smaller. When the same things happen time and time again it's on the coach.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #67
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

We're never going to have a basketball coach fans not going to complain about and run out are we?
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #68
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
OMG dude they are all freshman and they are going to make mistakes, somtimes the same mistakes over and over and they will get yelled at. Like I said if this is still going on in a couple of years than you may have a point but to expect guys that were in high school last year to learn and not make the same mistakes their 1st year in college is a pipe dream. For now what ALL Gamecock fans need to do is give full support and back our coach...period!(and no I'm not saying your not supporting the team I just feel strongly that neither you nor I have the right to question the man)
Don't try to reason with him. He expects a team with 12 underclassmen to be world beaters. It's sad how most of our fanbase has zero clue how good college basketball programs are built. They probably wanted Dawn Staley fired in her second year because she "wasn't getting it done."
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #69
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Don't try to reason with him. He expects a team with 12 underclassmen to be world beaters. It's sad how most of our fanbase has zero clue how good college basketball programs are built. They probably wanted Dawn Staley fired in her second year because she "wasn't getting it done."
You get better by recruiting good players year after year and translating that into the w-l record. That is how Dawn did it. Martin needs one more year to get the ball rolling, but he has to recruit big time this year.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #70
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
No I expect improvement and not hear the they are freshman excuse toward te end of the season. Also as I state earlier the women's team improved from year one to year two.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #71
ds401
4-Star

Female

ds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot materialds401 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Have you seen how much Dawn yells and carries on, and she has a top 5 team. On that note, Tanner was also ruff on players during there first year, granted he had guys who "figured it out" sooner seeing as how it has been pretty easy to recruit at sc
I have not seen Coach Staley say " Answer the f'ing question dumbaxx!"

I like Coach Marin, BUT it is not necessary to to call a student a dumbaxx.
ds401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #72
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You get better by recruiting good players year after year and translating that into the w-l record. That is how Dawn did it. Martin needs one more year to get the ball rolling, but he has to recruit big time this year.
Martin has a few more years to get big recruits:

2015 - Dozier
2016 - Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds401 View Post

Keywords, YOU haven't SEEN it.

Doesn't mean she doesn't do it.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #73
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds401 View Post

Did you attend the women's games in her first three years? If so, did you sit somewhere you could see her in a timeout huddle? If so, were you paying attention to what was coming out of her mouth? I don't think so. Not if you never heard her curse.

Here's a story... my wife and I attend men's and women's games. She found Dawn Staley frightening and overbearing and didn't like her in those first few years. Then she noticed team improvement and how Dawn was calmer the better her teams played. Now, for the last few seasons, my wife loves Dawn - thinks she's the best, nicest, most admirable person ever. Extrapolate my wife into the fan base at large and consider that their reaction to Frank will evolve the same way if he's allowed to coach his team the way he knows how.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #74
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Two things here. A I do have the right to be a " sideline coach" . We all do as fans.

If we have improved so much why do they make the same mistakes game after game. After 20 games into the year and having the playing time the guys have had the learning curve has gotten a lot smaller. When the same things happen time and time again it's on the coach.
These are also 3* players outside of Thornwell, and thornwell has played very well. It will be very difficult to recruit here because there is very little to work with, and there aren't many low 3* kids coming in to college as freshman and becoming good enough within their first year to be competitive. The fact is pretty much every team we play will have better talent than us. The kind of teams that are winning with lesser talent are the kind that have been together for years and been able to build chemistry and learn from a coach. These kids are still freshman, give it time
Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #75
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
Did you attend the women's games in her first three years? If so, did you sit somewhere you could see her in a timeout huddle? If so, were you paying attention to what was coming out of her mouth? I don't think so. Not if you never heard her curse.

Here's a story... my wife and I attend men's and women's games. She found Dawn Staley frightening and overbearing and didn't like her in those first few years. Then she noticed team improvement and how Dawn was calmer the better her teams played. Now, for the last few seasons, my wife loves Dawn - thinks she's the best, nicest, most admirable person ever. Extrapolate my wife into the fan base at large and consider that their reaction to Frank will evolve the same way if he's allowed to coach his team the way he knows how.
In short: winning cures everything.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #76
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
In short: winning cures everything.
indeed
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #77
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post

Ah! The chicken or the egg? The eternal question.

We all change. Sooner or later. Coach Martin will change too.

Quote:
Ray Tanner’s more relaxed approach helped fuel South Carolina’s success

“I’ll be the first to admit, in my career, I’ve been guilty of sometimes putting my team in a trap because I was intense and I was prepared and I was pressured, and I was transferring that pressure,” Tanner said. “It doesn’t work. For me anymore, there’s no place for that.”

Toman said Tanner’s transformation began in earnest for the 2000 season. Former players like Adam Everett, who played for Tanner from 1997-98, told him before he left school, “You need to have fun. Allow your players to have fun.” Tanner recalled Toman noticing his stress level and telling him, “If you don’t change, you’re going to be out. You can win without being the toughest guy in the country.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC20/120619250
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #78
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Suspended for the last regular season game by Ray Tanner for "inappropriate verbal communication as it relates to the well-being of our student-athletes".
http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/06/3...suspended.html

Coach Martin better figure out how to coach a little calmer. I do not think Ray Tanner is going to let it continue.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #79
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Yes this program needs yet another coach...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #80
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Quote:

When you scan and email the checks you have used to pay Frank's paycheck then I will agree with you until then you nor I have the right. If you were a coach then you have seen improvement (ie. kentucky game). Everything you have written about Coach Martin is negative, recruits do come on here and read this. If we are still bottom dwellers in 2 years than make me a seat on your negative bandwagon until than support our staff or move along. For you to not see any improvement is either asinine or you don't understand the game.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote