CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
mpilot0705
U-Dub Gamecock
Storm Of Spurs
talkincock
doubledribble
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
**USC vs. South Alab (18448)
Clemson (2350)
Drew Owens missing? (2262)
Question about after (1865)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1209)
Shaq Roland (1168)
FishFry 47-yarder (684)
clemson game time: N (653)
How about this scena (530)
Tenn-Mizzou game (346)
Clemson fan here
Clemson
Question about after the
Winston
Tenn-Mizzou game
Drew Owens missing?
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
what I think ab ward
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #221
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Frank Martin has been Suspended 1 Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Verbal abuse? What a wuss.
What's the matter with some of you? It is verbal abuse. Professional coaches paid to lead young men should NOT be calling their players names, I mean cummon. When did we become desensitized to poor judgement and anger management issues? Frank Martin has some serious mental issues, and if he wanted to toss around names like a 3rd grader he should have become a drill sargeant in the Marines. Calling your players a-holes, or whatever is LAZY coaching...it's not a good thing. AND IN CASE YOU THINK I'M WRONG...go tell Ray Tanner he's wrong. Dude knows you DON'T coach like that. Martin won't be around long.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #222
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Exactly.

People can't complain about what they don't see/hear/care about. Dawn isn't changing her coaching style any time soon either. If players can't handle it, they know where the door is. I know a few players in the Dawn Staley era who were told the same thing during arguments.
... and Frank shouldn't change his style either. Like I said earlier (I think), I'm not a fan of the name calling, but Duane didn't appear to be too shaken up over it which tells me he knew it wasn't intentionally hurtful or even all that personal. Presumably, it was Frank making an emphatic point in Frank's way. But it's all over ESPN so we have to be offended and get up in arms on Duane's behalf.

Given enough time, the men's team will look more like what Frank wants and he'll calm down, just like what happened with Dawn and the women's team.

If we (as a university and fan base) intentionally make this job uncomfortable for a good and respected coach, I'm seriously concerned about our prospects of ever not being a dismal program.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #223
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Him using foul language isn't the issue here. Taking the demeaning/confrontational tone and ggetting personal by calling him an a**hole is the issue here. Had he just said "Answer the f***ING question." There wouldn't be an issue. However, he took it past that.

Last edited by treys1986; 03-07-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #224
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I like Frank's intensity, but I'd rather not see him belittle players, publicly. Yelling is one thing, but I think he crossed the line with Duane. Dawn Staley became a slightly more laid back coach and maybe Frank can, too.
Dawn calmed down when her teams started playing like she wanted them to.

But now that I think about it, Ray Tanner has said more than once that his teams got better when he lightened up some and that he doesn't believe that to be a coincidence. Maybe he and Dawn had conversations and she took some of his advice. I know she really likes him being the AD. Hmmm.. something to think about.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #225
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Again, you don't know that. It's very common for coaches to curse at players in practice.
......This situation didn't happen during practice....It happened in front of the general public and on national TV...
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #226
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

These aren't kids these are grown men the constant babying of these men isn't doing them any favors in life, once people on here realize that the sooner the fans can understand that. Horn had his players go through a day or two of boot camp at Fort Jackson and I guarantee you worse was said to them. If asshole offends you I can't begin to image if Martin used the n word... If there is a person on here who has NEVER EVER called a person 18+ an asshole then they can talk until then take the holier than thou mentality elsewhere because if you have called another person an asshole and are offended by this you are a straight up hypocrite.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #227
GratefulGamecock
Walk On

Male

GratefulGamecock is learning to peck

My 2 cents. We knew in hiring Martin that he was a hot head on the court with his players. He demands highly of them and when they aren't doing the right things he has coached them to do, he gets in their faces and, IMO, makes them men. This causes them to be accountable for their play and lights a fire under the players if they do.

Now look at how he is off the court, he is a father to those young kids and develops them into men on and off the court. He is one of the better coaches in basketball, but is even better at teaching them things off the court and how to be a real man. It's unfortunate what has transpired, but come on, I've heard a lot worse in my life when playing sports (probably cause I was awful).

I just hope this doesn't blow up in our faces as now the whole world sees him as a yelling, mean coach, when in fact, he is one of the nicer coaches (off the court of course) who actually cares and wants to see his players succeed in life, and not just on the court.

Anyways what happened happened, I support the whole organization and hopefully we can all learn from this and become better as a whole. Go cocks, Go America.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #228
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I just don't see many positives in this.

Order Of The Spur
Old 03-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #229
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I just don't see many positives in this.
There are none.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #230
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

People wouldn't be complaining about a damn thing if we were winning. I bet 90% of this fan base over looks anything said if we were winning consistently.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #231
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #232
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

I'm so tired of soft ass players and people who can't take an ass chewing. I'm tired of losing and coaches holding hands and saying all is well. Go Coach Martin, you can chew my Son's ass out if he doesn't do what it takes to win, just don't touch him, then I will whip your ass.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #233
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
People wouldn't be complaining about a damn thing if we were winning. I bet 90% of this fan base over looks anything said if we were winning consistently.
......So true.....He would be ...F ing great.........
Old 03-07-2014, 12:35 AM   #234
nellanaesp
4-Star

Male

nellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his combnellanaesp is developing his comb

He shouldn't be using that language during the game. But a suspension? Meh.

I've served Coach Martin and his family at the restaurant I work at and him, as well as his family, are some of the nicest, most genuine people I've met. Especially his wife, she's insanely nice. He just needs to tone it down a bit I guess.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #235
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

The athletic department and the university have to enforce their standards, otherwise they apply only to the compliant (who don't need them). It has happened publicly before with milder consequences. It happened in a very public way again, and more harsh consequences were applied. Verbal reprimands and warnings are seldom effective if not backed by action. These actions are in public, and widely witnessed. Coaches have bosses, and some of them do their job. Good. Serve the time and move on.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #236
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Not a big fan of this. Ray should have kept this out of the headlines. If we lose Martin over this, he better be able to reload with something as good or better.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 AM   #237
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellanaesp View Post
He shouldn't be using that language during the game. But a suspension? Meh.

I've served Coach Martin and his family at the restaurant I work at and him, as well as his family, are some of the nicest, most genuine people I've met. Especially his wife, she's insanely nice. He just needs to tone it down a bit I guess.
Insanely might not be the best word choice here considering people have called him maniacal and psychopathic lately.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #238
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Not a big fan of this. Ray should have kept this out of the headlines. If we lose Martin over this, he better be able to reload with something as good or better.
I agree with you. Should have reprimanded him privately. I think I am more in favor of a fine over suspending him for a game. But, if the donors wanted blood, then I guess Tanner had to do it publicly.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #239
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

I got a feeling this is far from over
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #240
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
What's the matter with some of you? It is verbal abuse. Professional coaches paid to lead young men should NOT be calling their players names, I mean cummon. When did we become desensitized to poor judgement and anger management issues? Frank Martin has some serious mental issues, and if he wanted to toss around names like a 3rd grader he should have become a drill sargeant in the Marines. Calling your players a-holes, or whatever is LAZY coaching...it's not a good thing. AND IN CASE YOU THINK I'M WRONG...go tell Ray Tanner he's wrong. Dude knows you DON'T coach like that. Martin won't be around long.
Abuse isn't verbal. What he said can be inappropriate, obscene, offensive, or otherwise frowned upon by most of society, but it is not "abuse." If Tanner really thought he was Abusing players Martin would be gone, not suspended. He's got a license to chew out his players, Tanner just doesn't like the wordy durds apparently.
Closed Thread