CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
thekob
COCKYTALKIN
WeStillOwnUSC
MountainCock
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
kingoftheroost
gamecockgal
Interesting quotes f (2596)
Have you ever been s (1553)
Key for 2015 defense (961)
Skai Moore out for U (815)
Women's Team Ranked (608)
Lebron makes Clevela (502)
Troubles in Tigertow (359)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (324)
Cockaboose Video (249)
What does it take to (143)
Who is your favorite play
Gamecockology Helms
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Skai Moore out for UT
Have you ever been so wro
TN game weather
Uniforms for Tenn
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Chances we win out now?

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #241
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 598700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705
Default Re: Frank Martin has been Suspended 1 Game...

Right move in my opinion. Chastising players is one thing...calling them mfers and assholes is another. Cussing at players doesn't bother me but this type of belittling crosses the line by far.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 AM   #242
TheShelbySensation
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
TheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudlyTheShelbySensation is crowing loudly

Martin is a little man with a small vocabulary.

Imagine John Wooden acting like this fool.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #243
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

Meanwhile in Wichita, Kansas...

...ah forget it!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #244
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShelbySensation View Post

Coaches are supposed to be John Wooden now? Report back when you find one who is. JW might be the ideal, but there won't ever be another one.

And Martin is a large man with a big heart and an expressive vocabulary. I still don't like the name calling, but that's just me. Someone should find out what Duane's reaction to it really was.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 AM   #245
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
Meanwhile in Wichita, Kansas...

...ah forget it!
lol if you think Gregg Marshall isn't a huge jerk in his own right.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #246
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Seen this comment on deadspin and I agree.

BTW most people outside our fan base feel the same.

At what point are people going to quit bitching about coaches cursing in front of/to players. These players are grown ****ing men playing the sport of basketball. They're now in college. They're going to deal with a bunch of bigger dicks in the world that Frank Martin. I could see if he was calling them faggot or ****** and/or physically assaulting them. Screaming at a kid because he ****ed a play seems like par for the course to me. (Also, I'm not one of those Neanderthals who believes in salting wounds to heal coaches, this is just getting a little ridiculous).
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #247
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Speaking of salt, instead of hydrating, back in the old days, coaches would make their players forgo water and take salt tablets, which we now know is wrong. I guess if Frank Martin were giving players salt tablets and not hydrating, it would be OK "because that's the way it was done when I was playing."

Same with concussions.
Same with lifting.
Same with cussing out players.

There are some good guys who are showing that you can win without cussing out players.

That doesn't mean you don't cuss, you don't correct, and you don't get passionate, but you don't have to verbally belittle the player.

He spends his whole timeout cussing out one player, instead of drawing up plays.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #248
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

this whole thing is idiotic. we are raising a society of whimps. pathetic whiny people who have lost that edge that made this country great. calling a player an asshole is mild compared to what bear bryant said. most great coaches through out history were hardcore guys. we knew who this guy was before he came here, and most of the fans said they loved it. now punk ass people are incensed because he called a player an asshole. get over it, you pc punks. this is the real world. sesame street ends when you get to college.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #249
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
For those who always say his players love him, where is your proof? They certainly don't look like they love playing for him. I'm pretty sure they feel limited in saying anything bad about him because a large part of their lifes are in his hand at the moment.
How can you say they dont love playing for him? Anyone with half a brain watching the last two games for sure knows they love playing for him, and play hard. Thats an 11-19 team playig that hard

for willy
Old 03-07-2014, 03:21 AM   #250
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Well my take, this is a stupid move by the athletic department caving to pressure from rich folks behind the bench, and sadly a little hypocritical of Tanner. Come on man, dont act like you havent chewed out players and called them names before. I love franks style and passion and i am frustrated by this move, stupid by usc

for willy
Old 03-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #251
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShelbySensation View Post

No need to imagine, Shel. Just type 'Papa Sam Gilbert/ John Wooden', hit search, and read 'til you weep.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #252
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

CYA, Frank. The Little League parent/ PC crowd are frothing at the mouth to Hatfield your ass.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #253
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Let coaches coach. I sure players here worse from their friends. They are grown kids. Handle it.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #254
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
A coach was suspended for one game. I get the feeling you think he was blindfolded and flogged. It's not that big of a deal. FM will serve his suspension and life will go on.

It doesn't take a genius to see the writing on the wall here. He's said he would clean up the language and he has not and frankly it doesn't seem like he is capable of it at this point. Ray is making a stand against it. It may end up being this one incident and then never again, but also highly possible that this friction between Ray and Frank continues and we all know how that ends.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #255
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Let coaches coach. I sure players here worse from their friends. They are grown kids. Handle it.
They are adults. If they don't like it they will transfer. The ones that stick around will get better, and we will win. Just look at Kansas State while Frank was there. He was recruiting mainly 3 and 4 star players, had tons of turnover, but still won because he develops players. He has to have the time to develop the talent. And for those that want him out, it's going to set our program back so far, I don't know that we'll ever be able to get out of the mess we're in. Firing coaches after 3 years then 2 years would show we lack the patience or the willingness to allow a coach to come in and do the job they are paid to do. No one will want this job if we get rid of Frank Martin, at least that you people would like for us to hire. Frank is widely considered one of the best coaches in college basketball by fans, coaches, and players. To run him off would be detrimental to our team, yet here are our "fans" trying to run our program into the ground.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #256
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Since everyone is sharing their opinions here are some if mine:

I don't think Martin will be fired for his language, but he should have suspended. He's a very visible coach playing a very visible game. He cusses like a sailor which is fine, but name calling is over the line.

There isn't a moral vacuum in sports. This kind of behavior any where else will get you fired, and it should. I can never say this to an employee nor would I ever want to.

Finally, just because society deems 18 years as an adult doesn't make it true. There is a vast difference in the psyche from 19 to 29. A coach should be a leader and set examples by actions. I wouldn't let my kid be coached by him not because I don't think he could take getting belittled, but because I don't want him thinking that those actions are appropriate in any circumstances.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #257
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
It doesn't take a genius to see the writing on the wall here. He's said he would clean up the language and he has not and frankly it doesn't seem like he is capable of it at this point. Ray is making a stand against it. It may end up being this one incident and then never again, but also highly possible that this friction between Ray and Frank continues and we all know how that ends.
This whole thing is stupid. What message are we sending to coaches out there? We're gonna give you a contract for 4 years to rebuild our program. The catch is you must be winning in year 2, because our fan base doesn't understand how long it takes to build a program. Well Horn got fired in 3 years, Martin is getting suspended for something stupid, and "fans" are already calling for his job. This turnover in coaching is detrimental to our program. It's not creating stability. Recruits won't come play for a coach that can't guarantee they will be here after 2 years. Coaches won't want to coach for an AD that is forced to meddle by the fans. Our current players will probably leave if Frank is gone because just like Harris and Gill did, because turnover is typical during a coaching change. Our recruiting would have to start all the way over. We'll have another young team that isn't capable of winning 18+ games.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #258
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
USC fires Coach Martin for a style that they knew when they hired and now punishing him for the style they knew he had is insane. You will not even get a decent coach to come here after that, why you ask? It is very simple you get hired with your personality and then get suspended for it, this will have coaches looking over their shoulder every step of the way hoping they don't hurt the weak soft pussified PC people. Have the players complained about it, not to what I have heard, the players have to deal with that style not the fans, there are reasons why the players are on the court and the fans are in the stands. If Martin dropped a racial slur that is one thing but call someone a dumbass really? He is merely calling it like he sees it.
He called him an a$$ hole not a dumbass. Those are not even close to the same things at all.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #259
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
CYA, Frank. The Little League parent/ PC crowd are frothing at the mouth to Hatfield your ass.
Don't say ass. You might offend someone.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #260
MountainCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200500
MountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot material

We could move all the little Gamecock children several rows back from the court, let Martin unload his profanity on a regular basis, and if/when the team starts winning, let the kids sit at courtside again. Sounds like a plan to me.
Closed Thread