CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
markp_vip
ccured
GarnetSwarm1990
2000grad
TRBTB
Regalcock
Morris to SMU (5752)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1850)
Clemson fans (1558)
Carolina on a Walmar (1296)
Game simulation (859)
End of the aTm / LSU (559)
Venables to TAMU? (556)
Have we been favored (423)
Women's Soccer Elite (350)
Origin Sale Too (276)
Vegas line moving on game
Phil Kronblut show
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Xbox One
ray rice wins appeal
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
marshall/WKU
Morris to SMU

Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
searooster
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
searooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his clawssearooster is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Winthrop adding football?

So clemson will now be the 4th best team in the state.
searooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #22
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Yeah, my girlfriend (who goes there) was talking about how all the students got an email about it. I don't think the student body (as a whole) is too excited about it. In fact, they don't seem to be too into the basketball either.. (even though their new parking permit stickers have a seemingly forced chant in "Rock the Hill" on the sticker itself)

I could be wrong, but I think the student body just doesn't care for sports. My girlfriend is in the Music department, so maybe the people I know there aren't the most appropriate sample, but it's just not the vibe I get from the students there. It seems a lot of them are more excited about the marching band prospect than the football prospect

Just an outside take.
For the most part, you are right. There is a small group of students that really care about sports there. The overall student body doesn't care much though. It took Marshall and the basketball team until about 2005/06 to really get much student support at all. Not that women can't be sports fans, but a student population that is 65%-70% female isn't likely to be big into sports. Plus, from what I understand, it's still somewhat of a suitcase college. Those 2 factors really hurt student support and attendance.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

They will hire GReg Marshall and win the natty first year.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #24
wheatoncock
Walk On

Male

wheatoncock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
For the most part, you are right. There is a small group of students that really care about sports there. The overall student body doesn't care much though. It took Marshall and the basketball team until about 2005/06 to really get much student support at all. Not that women can't be sports fans, but a student population that is 65%-70% female isn't likely to be big into sports. Plus, from what I understand, it's still somewhat of a suitcase college. Those 2 factors really hurt student support and attendance.
Yeah, and the fact that it used to be a woman's only college wouldn't help much, I would think you would need a lot of alumni support for a small school to start a football program, however the move could be to get more male applicants
wheatoncock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #25
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatoncock View Post
Yeah, and the fact that it used to be a woman's only college wouldn't help much, I would think you would need a lot of alumni support for a small school to start a football program, however the move could be to get more male applicants
Good point. WU has been co-ed for about 40 years or so, but the male alumni base is still relatively small. Also, I hate to say it, but having an alumni base made up of mostly teachers doesn't help their ability to raise money. I respect teachers immensely (I know I couldn't do their job), but they are underpaid and I don't think there are enough donors out there to supplement the small faction of athletic supporters that want football. I would guess that the school is about 10-15 years away from having an alumni base large enough to generate the funds needed for starting football. That is unless some alum has a very wealthy spouse willing to donate or someone wins the lottery.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

This made me think of a question. When a school adopts football as a new sport, how do the scholarships work? I mean there is a maximum of 85 scholarships available, and I think it's supposed to be limited to a certain number per year. Would a school be allowed to offer all 85 scholarships (as long as they had funding for all of them) in the first year?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #27
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
This made me think of a question. When a school adopts football as a new sport, how do the scholarships work? I mean there is a maximum of 85 scholarships available, and I think it's supposed to be limited to a certain number per year. Would a school be allowed to offer all 85 scholarships (as long as they had funding for all of them) in the first year?
Well, to start, it would be 63 total scholarships since they would be an FCS team. I believe FCS treats football as an equivalency sport, meaning they can divide scholarships into partial scholarships similar to how baseball does it. If they have funding for all the scholarships, they can offer the maximum available.

The school could also take the Pioneer Football League route. That is still FCS level, but that league consists of schools that don't offer scholarships for football.

The biggest problem schools adding scholarships for football have is how to manage adding the scholarships and staying Title IX compliant. If an athletic program is compliant, they can't just add 63 scholarships for male athletes. They would have to look at adding more women's sports, cutting some men's sports, or having a football program that offers scholarships but never offers the maximum amount allowed by the NCAA.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #28
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
What year is your girlfriend? I graduated with my master's in music from WU in '12.
She's a Junior this year
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #29
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

it would be good for the school football brings in money and students

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #30
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

I think they should stick to Dungeons and Dragons.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #31
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material

I got my undergrad from Winthrop . . . great school and great folks. I think it would be awesome if they could break into the football scene.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #32
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^They would be FCS in the Big South, but unless they are the position that UNC Charlotte is in with Jerry Richardson, wouldn't really be worth it. They are a great basketball school with a rabid fanbase which could support a football program but the costs for starting one up is the problem
If boosters want a football team and are willing to fork out the money, they'll get a football team. You can't expect to make money at a FCS school during football season anyways. I highly doubt there are very many of the former I-AA schools that actually make a profit on football. Plus, adding football brings in another 80-100 kids to campus which means more money because FCS does not hand out enough scholarships to fully fund a football team.
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #33
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

My daughter graduates in May from Winthrop...she has always wanted them to have a football team. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #34
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

As much as I would like to see Winthrop have a football team, there are a lot of major differences between them and UNC Charlotte.

Many people outside of North Carolina don't realize that UNCC is a sizable school in its own right, and it isn't some insignificant branch campus in the UNC system. They have a crapload of alumni in Charlotte and as Charlotte's only major university they have a lot of financial backing from local businesses/corporations and the Panthers. This city in general invests a lot of resources in that university. On top of that, they want to be seen as equals to UNC and NC State, so they have a lot vested in a successful D-1 athletics program which is key for any major public university to attract students.

I just don't see Winthrop in that category. They have a smaller alumni base in general, and less resources available. I'm not suggesting that they can't do it or shouldn't, but they will face many more challenges than UNCC did in setting up a football program.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #35
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

the carolinas are starting to get saturated with fcs and fbs teams ... with UNCC, App State, ECU, Elon, wofford, coastal, citdel, Furman, Western Carolina, charleston southern, gardner webb, PC, etc i dont know if there is enough talent to go around
Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #36
wildcock73
Walk On

Male

wildcock73 has hatched from the shell

Limestone just added football I see no reason why Winthrop couldn't do the same
wildcock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #37
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

UNCC needs to drop the UNC and just become The University of Charlotte like Louisville and Miami are in their towns
Old 03-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #38
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
UNCC needs to drop the UNC and just become The University of Charlotte like Louisville and Miami are in their towns
Their athletic department dropped the UNC back in 2000 or 2001. They said they were tired of being confused with other schools in the UNC system. Said they preferred to be known as the Charlotte 49ers and this branding would make it easier for people. The school, however, kept the name as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

It's been 13 or 14 years and you can see that change has seen mixed results (didn't help that the school kept the old name). I think the media does a good job of keeping them as Charlotte instead of UNCC. Old habits die hard in people and it probably won't be a while until people move away from calling them UNCC.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #39
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

College of Charleston has a better chance if you ask me
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #40
southerntramp
Banned

Male

southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
it would be good for the school football brings in money and students
As well as keep students IN TOWN during the fall...tailgate, etc. I live in Rock Hill and we often discuss the desire for WU to have a program at The Pub House. HA!. Definitely we would love it...Money is of course the big issue...but why not WU?

Schedule USC, CU, etc. to build your program yearly with funds, etc. Play in the District Stadium a few years....there is plenty of land over by the coliseum and the lake for a stadium to be built....great recruiting area in the upstate, Rock Hill, etc. They all are not all big time players, but they would fit nicely at WU IMO. Hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. would come don't you think?
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote