CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (26967)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2042)
Simple "yes&quo (1437)
Phil Steele just pre (1171)
Eat Crow (738)
Garcia: Change the R (724)
TeMarcus Blanton (688)
We actually didnt lo (628)
Extremely Proud (554)
what I think ab ward (486)
I want people to explain
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
We would be 7-1 with just
Extremely Proud
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose
Simple "yes" or
End of the first half....
Eat Crow

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #21
scunyon
Boots To Asses

Male

CockyCash: 500
scunyon has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to scunyon
Default Re: Frank Martin news conference at 2:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
It kind of sounded like he was trying to bring up the fact that he is Hispanic to make people feel sorry for him.
I didn't take that comment that way. It seemed to be more of the responsibility he feels as minority (read: latino) coach in the premier college athletics conference, and owning the fact that he is paving the way for others to follow him.

But this whole thing is crap. All these thin-skinned ass people need to get a grip. Hell, the Pope cusses and steals so now what?!

I like Franks fire and enthusiasm and the same people who cuss the athletes when in the privacy of their own home take issue with him cussing one face to face.... Pot meet kettle
scunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 49400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
It kind of sounded like he was trying to bring up the fact that he is Hispanic to make people feel sorry for him.
I really took it for face value. That there are not a lot of Hispanic coaches and he feels he should set a better example.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
scunyon
Boots To Asses

Male

scunyon has hatched from the shell
Send a message via Yahoo to scunyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
pg, are you a carpenter? You hit that nail squarely on the head. LOL.

scunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #24
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
I missed his opening comments but Im listening to the Q&A with reporters.

Heres the paraphrasing

-He basically said he was grateful for Tanner to be his boss and that this issue was self inflicted
-He thinks its time for himself to mature
-I care too much about my players, and I need them as much as they need me
-I embarrassed my family, specifically mentioned wife and mother
-(asked what happens if this happens again) we didnt discuss that and if it does Martin is the only one to blame
-He doesnt think his attitude negatively impacts recruiting
-said it needs to be clear that he is wrong and this is his fault
-he says he works at the university and he understands he has a duty to conduct himself a certain way
-I dont let my players swear, if they swear in my presence Im not happy
-I ask my players to mature, I need to mature too
-I cant do anything else other than apologize
Admitting there is a problem is the first step to correcting the problem. Good for Coach Martin.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #25
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scunyon View Post
I didn't take that comment that way. It seemed to be more of the responsibility he feels as minority (read: latino) coach in the premier college athletics conference, and owning the fact that he is paving the way for others to follow him.

But this whole thing is crap. All these thin-skinned ass people need to get a grip. Hell, the Pope cusses and steals so now what?!

I like Franks fire and enthusiasm and the same people who cuss the athletes when in the privacy of their own home take issue with him cussing one face to face.... Pot meet kettle
I went back and watched the video after listening to it on the radio and I completely agree with you. He feels a great responsibility to represent other people of Hispanic descent in a positive way because he is one of the few that has actually become a D-1 college coach.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #26
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

He apologized, he was grilled about things unrelated to the university (family) and he handled it in the right manner. I have made mistakes and been forgiven for too many things to not accept this as a learning tool for coach Martin and move on. Now lets build on this team and win some games.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #27
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Well you do know they have quite the temper.

Kidding
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #28
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

He over apologized. I could only listen to 9 of the 24 agonizing minutes. Me thinks he protesteth too muchess. He laid it on too thicketh. A zebra can't change its stripes. Geez! These phonies in our universities make me sick.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
Garolina Camecocks
4-Star

Male

Garolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spursGarolina Camecocks has earned his spurs

I like Frank and I hope this is behind us soon because I think he is really building something. With that said, the "I care too much" comment really caused me to roll my eyes. I mean come on. I'm sure he didn't mean it this way, but it sounded as if he was trying to excuse his behavior because "he cares". That is lame. Overall though, I thought it was a good presser and hopefully he can get back to the business at hand...building a winner.
Garolina Camecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #30
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Or blindly follow a coach who disrespects the game, its players, and fans.
I could not disagree more. Martin respects the game and his players and cares so much about his players that it gets to the point where it boils over. Ask anyone that works around him or plays for him and they will tell you that they love him and that he cares very much about his players and their growth and has a lot of respect for the players and the game. But you assume that from the 10 second clips you see of him going bananas that he doesn't respect the game or the players. I will gladly follow Frank Martin, as will our players. They will all run through a brick wall for the man. I can say this, it sure is nice to have a coach that cares that goes after players and wants them to improve and mature as much as he does to the point where it's obsessive as opposed to Darrin Horn, who it appeared that we were boring him during the game. He would sit there with his hand over his mouth and do nothing. Everyone knew Martin was like this and knew it would take time to build this program. Don't tell me you didn't know he was like this. Everyone loved this hire and knew it would take time to build a program. Now he acts the way that you knew he would and you want to run him off at the first sign of progress. If you people that hate him so much, I'll be interested to hear your opinion when we start winning.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #31
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I don't care how much he curses. I don't think he has a "problem." SOME people have a problem with him and what he does. I'm not one of those. I'm going to just leave it at that.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #32
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
If you people that hate him so much, I'll be interested to hear your opinion when we start winning.
So its our fault? Its all about us huh? So if he wins we will be ok with him going gonzo on his players? Its only because he's 3-14 that we don't like him going nuts? Ever heard the expression "garnet colored glasses"? You need to take yours off once in a while.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #33
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Guess we had quite a few angels posting in these two Frank Martin threads.

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'
I would but my aim sucks.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #34
snoopy
Blue Chip

snoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurs

I enlisted in the Marine Corps at age 18, heard more heated and awlful language the first 24 hours than Martin even knows! By the age of 20 I was Vietnam and fighting for my life and as a Sgt. I knew all those words myself. I know it is not the same as a college kid PLAYING bb, so spare me. My point is that the Marines get your attention the first 24 hours and they will prepare you for what you will face later. I am grateful for what they taught me and that I was able to lead my men with confidence, knowing that we would win.
I played FB and BB in high school both in SC and in Calif....and if you did you probably heard much of what Coach Martin said. Point being it is not what we want our coach to be saying/acting on TV, but it happens everyday at many places. Get over it. We offered the job to other coaches before Martin, and even before when we were looking. have you forgotten just how many said "no thanks"? Give him a second chance. He will either chance or we will change him, whatever the case, stop acting like he needs to go because he cusses. If he were winning 20 games or more instead of 11, you would not find fault with his mouth.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #35
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

The issue is two fold. One, he can't attack an individual player on a personal basis in the presence of the public, tv or otherwise. Getting in a players ass is different than demeaning him. Secondly, these outburst show a lack of personal control that he alluded to in his PC. You can't ask players to be under control when you can't control how you speak to them yourself.

As good of a coach as I think he is, if this doesn't get corrected, he will see players leave, and he will not be able to recruit. Kids will not want to be subjected to that kind of public abuse.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #36
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
I enlisted in the Marine Corps at age 18, heard more heated and awlful language the first 24 hours than Martin even knows! By the age of 20 I was Vietnam and fighting for my life and as a Sgt. I knew all those words myself. I know it is not the same as a college kid PLAYING bb, so spare me. My point is that the Marines get your attention the first 24 hours and they will prepare you for what you will face later. I am grateful for what they taught me and that I was able to lead my men with confidence, knowing that we would win.
I played FB and BB in high school both in SC and in Calif....and if you did you probably heard much of what Coach Martin said. Point being it is not what we want our coach to be saying/acting on TV, but it happens everyday at many places. Get over it. We offered the job to other coaches before Martin, and even before when we were looking. have you forgotten just how many said "no thanks"? Give him a second chance. He will either chance or we will change him, whatever the case, stop acting like he needs to go because he cusses. If he were winning 20 games or more instead of 11, you would not find fault with his mouth.
Guess you think Ray Tanner needs to "get over it" too. After all, this is the corps.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #37
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:

Is that your first reaction when you find out someone's Hispanic? Sympathy?
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #38
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

The marines think they are God's gift to mankind. I hate being around them. Pretty obnoxious dudes.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #39
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
I played FB...in high school.
So did I...a long time ago. Our coaches kicked our butts and cussed....but didn't call us names and verbally attack us.
The fact that you and others can't tell the difference is disturbing. So are you telling us you'd approve of a highly paid coach repeatedly calling your kid and azz___ in front of thousands of fans?

And what some of you seem to be missing, is some people were raised in abusive environments....and consequently have low tolerance for such as adults. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being decent enough to not be abusive.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
pimpingamecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
pimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPitpimpingamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
I went back and watched the video after listening to it on the radio and I completely agree with you. He feels a great responsibility to represent other people of Hispanic descent in a positive way because he is one of the few that has actually become a D-1 college coach.
you made a mistake about what you thought he ment... that being said we need to just let you go... you might come in here again and do something like that again, and disrespect the entire messageboard, it's posters, and all the gamecock images to my right. Sorry but for all the previous great posts you have made... in this thread, we can not accept such things.
pimpingamecock is offline   Reply With Quote