CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
GamecockMomSC
Cockhornleghorn
2000grad
ZenUSC
Captain9Dragons
JaxcockFL
We Have to Pass (1748)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1342)
Spurrier weekly pres (1270)
This would be awesom (851)
How is Shaq Davidson (674)
McConaughey cast as (402)
Perspective on our g (359)
Defense and offense (292)
Black Friday Hard Co (244)
SEC referees? (225)
Currently 2nd in attendan
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
We Have to Pass
Why has there been 40 yea
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Daniel Fennell

Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material
Default NCAA considering early signing date in football

If this actually happens, it will be very interesting to watch how the recruiting game changes.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...eriod-football
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Re: NCAA considering early signing date in football

I'm all for it
Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I'm all for it
Same here. What date do y'all think this should be? I'm thinking either First Monday in August, or the Second Monday in December.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Not a fan. Hoops recruiting is freaking boring because of this. By the time they actually get to school they've been signed for so long you forget who the hell they are. Big league football needs to break from NCAA asap. Also, how does this serve the student athletes? They should be allowed to change their minds until as late as possible, including once enrolled, if a coach leaves.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

I'm not a fan of this unless they are allowed out of their LOI if coaches are fired or if other circumstances change. Sounds like a good situation for the school but not a good one for the player because it takes away the option to change their mind if circumstances change.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
rioninusc
Starter

Male

rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I'm not a fan of this unless they are allowed out of their LOI if coaches are fired or if other circumstances change. Sounds like a good situation for the school but not a good one for the player because it takes away the option to change their mind if circumstances change.
Doesn't a lot of this start changing after national signing day anyway? Edit I meant position/coordinator coaches, and yeah I do agree if a coach is fired before the late signing day the player should have the right to go to another school.

Last edited by rioninusc; 03-07-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

SOS has said that he is in favor of this.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Doesn't a lot of this start changing after national signing day anyway? Edit I meant position/coordinator coaches, and yeah I do agree if a coach is fired before the late signing day the player should have the right to go to another school.
I would actually say that the vast majority of coaching moves, assistants included, occur before NSD. Plus I'm not a fan of this because let's say a coach promises a kid that he is the only player he will recruit at his position this year and that is a main reason for the commitment. Then after signing an LOI on early NSD the coach goes out and signs another highly rated player at his position. I personally think the player should be allowed to get out of going at that point if he wants to but instead he gets screwed. I just don't see much of a benefit for the players, which means the NCAA will be 100% behind this.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
rioninusc
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I would actually say that the vast majority of coaching moves, assistants included, occur before NSD. Plus I'm not a fan of this because let's say a coach promises a kid that he is the only player he will recruit at his position this year and that is a main reason for the commitment. Then after signing an LOI on early NSD the coach goes out and signs another highly rated player at his position. I personally think the player should be allowed to get out of going at that point if he wants to but instead he gets screwed. I just don't see much of a benefit for the players, which means the NCAA will be 100% behind this.
Gotcha, kind of saw the HC change usually happening after the regular season, and before bowl season. Can see where this can screw over a recruit, but this also helps give the EE's a day to celebrate. This is why I'm more inclined to the second week of December, especially after reading your posts.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

I'm for it. No issue with the HC change out option. I don't think the other reasons are valid. Yes the staff may promise this or that or an assistant may leave but these roads go both ways.
Committing, verbally or otherwise, is by definition a promise. One I'm certain the most make in good faith and most keep. However just as they can change thier intent should circumstance lead so should the staff be able. If the staff has a track record of making promises not intended to keep then that track record is known and the prospect can balance that on whatever attracks him then choosing accordingly. Most programs do a decent job of researching prospects, it is sensible prospects do the same.
Should the NCAA make verbals binding however contingent upon the parties reaching an agreement on certain bullet points I'm fine with that but again it goes both ways. If either party is unable to meet any one of the agreed upon points then the other is allowed to void the agreement.
I think it reasonable to presume most players want thier team to be the best it can be. Clearly team and individual success are mutually beneficial. The early sign date allows the team to identify needs secured and thus focus on those remaining. SC does a lot of sceme and need based recruiting. Being able to lock up prospects that fullfill specific roles may help us as much or more than programs who target raw talents that may be more flexible in thier assignments. If they get guys that can play two or three roles well then losing out on a player more suitable for a specific job with in thier sceme isn't as damaging. Given we don't sign as many of the upper echelon raw talents we possibly target more guys who likely fill one specific job well with in our sceme. We may be less able to compensate for losing such players and thus benifitt from being able to secure specific needs at an early point and then pursui those remaining.
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 32021
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

When most teams are going after 14-15 year olds what's the harm in waiting until Feb of their senior year to sign them?
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
SOS has said that he is in favor of this.
I read the exact opposite. One of his reasons was if high school kids start signing in the fall, they get way too much attention when the attention should be on the players on our team. The high school kids get their big day on signing day.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote