CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
WeStillOwnUSC
MountainCock
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
USCNowAndForever
kingoftheroost
palmettosc
Interesting quotes f (2596)
Have you ever been s (1553)
Key for 2015 defense (961)
Skai Moore out for U (815)
Women's Team Ranked (608)
Lebron makes Clevela (502)
Troubles in Tigertow (359)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (324)
Cockaboose Video (249)
What does it take to (143)
Who is your favorite play
Gamecockology Helms
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Skai Moore out for UT
Have you ever been so wro
TN game weather
Uniforms for Tenn
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
Chances we win out now?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #41
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lorenzo Ward and his staff were in Austin

Wonder if this will be our standard D going forward or switch up to keep the opposing O on their toes.

I'm glad he's willing to change it up given our current personnel...that may very well translate to a W instead of a L rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #42
KevinSC8
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
KevinSC8 has hatched from the shell

I think it's just to have another wrinkle to have in there to cater to our personnel. We aren't suddenly going to switch the entire defensive philosophy.

I would bet it's something to throw out there in clear passing situations to get more pass rushers out there, kind of like a new version of the Rabbit/Nascar package. I could see BAW getting some reps as a pass rushing LB in this formation.
KevinSC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSC8 View Post
I think it's just to have another wrinkle to have in there to cater to our personnel. We aren't suddenly going to switch the entire defensive philosophy.

I would bet it's something to throw out there in clear passing situations to get more pass rushers out there, kind of like a new version of the Rabbit/Nascar package. I could see BAW getting some reps as a pass rushing LB in this formation.
Agree with this. We have the personnel to run a 3 man front and a 4 man front. Ward also told BAW that they were going to run some special packages for him, which is probably why we are running both.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #44
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
We've got two DE over 255, Turner and Dixon 44. Our bigger DT's are as tall, and much bigger. Thomas isn't in yet. We don't have a big linebacker (over 235). Based on stopping power and strength, I don't think we've got a single linebacker who can handle the two extra linemen, a TE and possibly a fullback thrown at them on running plays. Who among our linebackers (and spur) showed decent coverage skills last year (the 4 or 5 picks were tipped balls and Taj throwing badly under pressure).
WE could make it work with Dixon and Johnson as the DEs and BAW as the extra LB.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #45
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Don't forget Clowney dropping into coverage....
Old 03-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #46
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

yeah its something we started with devin taylor in 2010 as far as a guy who was a true de, then we mixed and matched with taylor and ingram the next year and we did it sparingly the last two years.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #47
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

We will be facing many new QB's this year, so methinks we are just trying to form fronts where the young QB's have to stop and think what we are actually showing and cause more confusion......or not.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #48
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I think the 3-4 sucks. If you don't have a real anchor for a nose guard, you can get blown back. With the size of our linebackers, I don't think we could seal the edges at all unless they put a DE at OLB.
The way it sounds I don't think it will be a pure 3-4. I think it will be a lot like Bama run with a hybrid. They run 3 and 4 down lineman. Lot of people think they strictly run a 3-4 but, they run a base 3-4 only about 1/3rd of the time. I think it mainly depends on how much weight is gained but a few guys and also just adding another dimension to the defense.

Idk how much we'll run it this year because it will take a while to implement a new system and get the kids to learn it.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
35-21
The Thickened Chicken

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

I expect this is more of a look at possible passing down packages. Even in a 3-man front there is typically a 4 man rushing, the difference being that the QB and O-line has to guess where the 4th man is coming from. With our lack of experience and depth in the secondary this year, creating some confusion up front with a 3/3/5 or 3/4/4 package could be beneficial in passing situations.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #50
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
Makes sense with our abundance of linebackers. I like it.
We have a stable of young beasts at lb. l Bryant needs to be out there with Lewis, skai, holloman, bAW, and a couple more
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #51
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

I hope though that we mix some 3 3 5 with some 4 2 5 and some 4 3. We can really disguise well with the personnel we have and confuse offenses.
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #52
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I wish I were as optimistic about our linebackers as most of the posters here seem. They made good progress last year, but it was from stink-it-out level. We have a number of somewhat undersized, smaller-framed linebackers who are fast and are good athletes, but I worry about their ability to maintain quickness and agility as they gain bulk. We will likely see during summer workouts.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #53
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
Strong's defenses at Carolina were good with the exception of third and long. We could not stop a third and long.
And how was that different from last year? :(
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #54
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
Strong's defenses at Carolina were good with the exception of third and long. We could not stop a third and long.
Yep... Beat me to it.
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #55
BloodySpur
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1200
BloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervousBloodySpur is making other chickens nervous

3-3-5... can u say Joe Lee Dunn... all hail the Fire Ants!!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #56
Toneski
Walk On

Male

Toneski is learning to peckToneski is learning to peck

Ward was interviewed on radio a few weeks ago and mentioned that he got Spurrier to call Bob Stoops to set up a visit to OU during Spring Break. OU switched to a 3 man front this past season and was very successful in improving their defense. Since Spring Break at SC is this week, Ward prolly went to see Charlie at Texas as well.

In the radio interview, I got the impression Ward was considering implementing what he called "3 down" as a fix for this season and not something permanent. In fact, he used the term "3 down" and "4 down" to describe the two defenses which indicates to me that "names" for a defense such as "3-4" and "4-3" mean less to a defensive coach than it does to us fans.....Ward doesn't have the horses for 4 down lineman so he's looking at just running 3 down lineman. He's just being creative to be successful with what he has this year.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #57
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneski View Post
Ward was interviewed on radio a few weeks ago and mentioned that he got Spurrier to call Bob Stoops to set up a visit to OU during Spring Break. OU switched to a 3 man front this past season and was very successful in improving their defense. Since Spring Break at SC is this week, Ward prolly went to see Charlie at Texas as well.

In the radio interview, I got the impression Ward was considering implementing what he called "3 down" as a fix for this season and not something permanent. In fact, he used the term "3 down" and "4 down" to describe the two defenses which indicates to me that "names" for a defense such as "3-4" and "4-3" mean less to a defensive coach than it does to us fans.....Ward doesn't have the horses for 4 down lineman so he's looking at just running 3 down lineman. He's just being creative to be successful with what he has this year.
I think this is going to be fine, we have some great interior DLinemen and some good depth at LB, with some young studs coming in. Our DE position really took a hit b/c we couldn't get Sawyer or Caldwell, with the latter being a pretty big surprise and apparently so obscure of a problem he played at other places as eligible when he wasn't supposed to. They have to adjust. I hope no one uses this as an opportunity to bash recruiting when plans we had in place did not work due to no fault of our coaches.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #58
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Got to run what best fits your personnel...you have a lot of a good LBs but short on ends, get the LBs on the field and cover up the lack of depth at DE.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3-3-5 or something of that ilk next season.
Cedrick Cooper could fit that flex backer.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #59
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Works well w/our personnel on the field. But as we've seen in years past, halfway through the season, there will be the saying..."we had to simplify things".
GarnetArmy07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Got to run what best fits your personnel...you have a lot of a good LBs but short on ends, get the LBs on the field and cover up the lack of depth at DE.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 3-3-5 or something of that ilk next season.
Cedrick Cooper could fit that flex backer.
I'm pulling for Cooper to do well. He's shown little so far. He's got speed, but hasn't shown saavy or coverage skills. Some folks assume BAW will come in from high school SEC ready. I doubt it. No linebacker has shown the ability to seal the edges yet, and without a spur with Holloman's size and playmaking ability, we got run over a few times (Ga and Wisc) and gave up long TD's and long plays on short routes (poor DB pursuit after linebacker ineptitude in coverage).
The only scenario I can see for 3 down working is with a quick DE like English or Harris playing standup (ala Norwood, Ingram, Taylor).
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote