CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
ChickenButt
lilhornet
robgusc76
Freshman ND WR " (826)
Call of Duty: Advanc (523)
Good Riddance to bad (456)
Keeping tailgate foo (316)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (288)
Bashing Players, coa (213)
An A to Z of Noah We (207)
The Comeback & T (206)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (97)
Wallpaper & Back (97)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
TeMarcus Blanton
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE

Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #261
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9450
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material
Default Re: ***2014 Carolina Panthers offseason/draft/season thread***

Stupid move.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #262
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Really disappointing that Smith won't finish in Carolina.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #263
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Sounds like cats would owe Smitty 3 mil if they cut him before july 1 which would save 4 mil in cap.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...on-to-cut-him/

Outside of the $ the early word is that it's also about locker room dynamics. Coaches and GM are ready for 1 & 59 to be the vocal leadership on the team.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #264
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

Can't support this move. Gutting the heart & soul of the team. Turrible.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #265
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Business is business.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #266
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Business is business.
agreed.....i dont see this as terrible of a move everyone else does, as long as we use that excess money from the move to find a replacement

i know im in the minority here and would hate to watch Smith leave but it might be best in the long run
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #267
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
agreed.....i dont see this as terrible of a move everyone else does, as long as we use that excess money from the move to find a replacement

i know im in the minority here and would hate to watch Smith leave but it might be best in the long run
I'm not gonna freak out about it. I'm just gonna wait and see what DG does with the money. We need 2WRs badly.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #268
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post

Could definitely be good in the long run. This might all but guarantee a WR pick in the first round if the right guy is there.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #269
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

I'm fine with it. Smith was past his prime anyways.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #270
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
I'm fine with it. Smith was past his prime anyways.

I will say, i hate the Patriots.....but if he landed there we might see some of that prime come back

Before cam got here and we were about to trade him I was secretly hoping to see that deal worked bc smith would then get the national attention he deserved and he would make ppl forget welker in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #271
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

It's tough for me to get behind this move as Smith is my favorite Panther. I guess we have to see what comes of it.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #272
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockaThaWalk View Post
Can't support this move. Gutting the heart & soul of the team. Turrible.
I wouldn't say I don't support it, but I don't like it. Agree that Smitty brings the fire ("Better ice up, son!"). But this is a long-term decision, and I'm giving Gettleman the benefit of the doubt, that he's got a plan to get some playmakers at wideout.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #273
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Terrible decision by Gettlemen. I guess the plan is to have Cam play QB and WR.

Hopefully Smitty gets a ring wherever he goes.

And if they can't trade him, which is likely considering his contract and Gettlemen cuts him...the Panthers save $1 million and that's it.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #274
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Terrible decision by Gettlemen. I guess the plan is to have Cam play QB and WR.

Hopefully Smitty gets a ring wherever he goes.

And if they can't trade him, which is likely considering his contract and Gettlemen cuts him...the Panthers save $1 million and that's it.
I was under the impression that the Panthers would have $3 million in dead money they would be eating by cutting Smith but would still save $4 million against the cap since he was owed $7 million this year. If they can acquire some good WRs in FA and the draft it is a solid move.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #275
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Let's be honest, even if Smith did stay, how many more years does he really have left in him? I predict Smith to retire within in the next couple of years.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #276
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Let's be honest, even if Smith did stay, how many more years does he really have left in him? I predict Smith to retire within in the next couple of years.

This is why this move is being made, he has 2014 and 2015 in his contract, with a cap hit that is no where near his level of production, he also has a player option for the 2016 season

So everyone upset about the savings this year needs to look at those last two seasons, btw during those seasons we have to resign cam and Luke....I'll take them over a 37 year old wr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #277
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I was under the impression that the Panthers would have $3 million in dead money they would be eating by cutting Smith but would still save $4 million against the cap since he was owed $7 million this year. If they can acquire some good WRs in FA and the draft it is a solid move.
That's how I understood it too.

I could have misunderstood what I read and heard though nice NFL contracts are complicated as hell.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #278
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

^^^^^

I just read something else that said if we cut him this year before June 1 then Smith gets 3 million from the team at 6 million cap hit this saving only 1 million this season. No dead $ next year.

If we cut after July we save 4 million this year but have 6 million in dead money in 2015.
-plus it's a shitty thing to do to Smith (seem they are trying to give him plenty of time to get in with a team and go through OTAs)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #279
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I was under the impression that the Panthers would have $3 million in dead money they would be eating by cutting Smith but would still save $4 million against the cap since he was owed $7 million this year.
You're correct...I misread it.

My question....who is going to catch the ball this season for us? The other WR's we have suck and the free agency market isn't that good....Nicks, Rice, etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #280
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
You're correct...I misread it.

My question....who is going to catch the ball this season for us? The other WR's we have suck and the free agency market isn't that good....Nicks, Rice, etc.
I just looked up his stats from last year. He only caught 64 balls for 745 yds. and only scored 4 times. The yardage total didn't even put him in the top 40 in the league. Shocking to me as it seemed he was more productive than that.

However, he and Olsen were our best receivers.

I don't really like having to move him but he's about to be 35 so it will eventually have to happen. If they move him, we don't have a #1 or really a #2 receiver as Lafell is probably a #3.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote