CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
doubledribble
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
So Disappointed With (2495)
Rank the QBs under S (1741)
Back like cooked cra (1368)
Tennessee game (944)
Who start on the d l (700)
No Comments on the H (695)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (222)
Gameday parking in A (157)
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
No Comments on the Holes?
Tennessee game
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Texas athletic director:

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #421
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule
Default Re: Frank Martin has been Suspended 1 Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Well we can leave out the 30+ years of coaching experience from high school all the way to his elite eight appearance in the NCAA tournament. Then we can leave out the elite coaches he's had the privilege of coaching under. While we're at it, let's leave out that this unsuccessful team is dealing with more youth than it should have to rely on, and is missing Ty Johnson half the season, one of the only veteran players on the team and one of the few true ball handlers. So now what we have is a frustrated Martin who is probably aware of the idiot fans we have already calling for his job. And then we have people like you that want to make things worse by saying it's ok for the AD and fans to interfere with him doing his job just because he does something that he's been doing for 30 years!
Yet you constantly down Notice and Thornwell for turnovers even though they're not point guards. Who do you suggest we put at point? Or is that just your "sarcasm" trying to bait someone?

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #422
GenerallyCocky
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GenerallyCocky has hatched from the shell

I lived in Indiana for a while very close to Bloomington. I once asked a Hoosier fan friend why IU put up with Coach Knight's antics. He replied, "I got two words for ya. National Champions."
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #423
Truxtun_229
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 400
Truxtun_229 has hatched from the shell

Hey Frank, you f**king a**hole, light'n up will ya?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #424
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

The players love martin, said they dont want him to change, so pretty much move along folks, nothing to see here

for willy
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #425
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
The players love martin, said they dont want him to change, so pretty much move along folks, nothing to see here
Unfortunately for the players and obviously for you, he has to change, because his boss is Ray Tanner, somebody who I and many other people believe in, who has laid down the law.

Sorry you like Frank Martin screaming and yelling and making an ass of himself, but he must change, and he's been told to, and that's the way it goes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #426
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
You seemed to have left out all sorts of beyond obvious and well documented reasons he absolutely needs someone constantly watching and checking up on him and re-explaining what the rules are and how a university works etc.

And you also seem to have decided to not explain who exactly this 'elite' coach he learned how to run a college program from actually is or his history or the history of the constant issues Frank has been a part of for the better part of this 30 years of 'experience' of needing supervision.

Would you like for me to list and address them for you here?
No we want you to act like you know what you are talking about without giving us any facts..... How about give us one player that complained he abused him, berated him, belittled him, bullied him......or give the names of countless young men who love the man, will tell you what a great coach, man and leader he is!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #427
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Unfortunately for the players and obviously for you, he has to change, because his boss is Ray Tanner, somebody who I and many other people believe in, who has laid down the law.

Sorry you like Frank Martin screaming and yelling and making an ass of himself, but he must change, and he's been told to, and that's the way it goes
I am who I am. Im proud of who I am, Martin said, pointing out his list of 20-win seasons and postseason appearances. When I went here for the last four days and I kind of reflected on me and who I am, I felt good about myself. I felt good that I made a mistake, I felt good that what I do has helped a heck of a lot more people than hurt. Will I be different? I have to. I got to be who I am. That means put a towel up over the huddle so no one can see me curse a player when he %^cks up! GET EM COACH MARTIN, $%ck'em if they can't take words out of a mouth!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #428
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
I am who I am. Im proud of who I am, Martin said, pointing out his list of 20-win seasons and postseason appearances. When I went here for the last four days and I kind of reflected on me and who I am, I felt good about myself. I felt good that I made a mistake, I felt good that what I do has helped a heck of a lot more people than hurt. Will I be different? I have to. I got to be who I am. That means put a towel up over the huddle so no one can see me curse a player when he %^cks up! GET EM COACH MARTIN, $%ck'em if they can't take words out of a mouth!
That's cool. Fran can be Frank. I believe he can turn the basketball program around. However, if his boss and employer don't like his behavior then he doesn't have to work here anymore.

Frank doesn't have to change at all. I completely agree with that. However, he doesn't have to work at USC as the basketball coach either. That's not a decision he controls but he does have a say in it. His part is indeed up to him.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #429
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
No we want you to act like you know what you are talking about without giving us any facts..... How about give us one player that complained he abused him, berated him, belittled him, bullied him......or give the names of countless young men who love the man, will tell you what a great coach, man and leader he is!
I was actually trying to avoid re-hashing his well documented history of having un-debatable issues with the rules and what is involved in working at a University, etc. but if you insist I will be happy to. I just got home from my son's lacrosse practice and am making dinner for my kids so when I get the chance I will be glad to explain in detail why Frank Martin needs direct supervision from his boss and employer.

OK...here goes...when Frank was the head coach at the Miami HS...the job that got him his opportunity to even join Bob Huggins staff and the eventual head job at K-state...his program had won three state titles in a row...only issue is that they did so completely illegally. His squad was loaded with transfers who had their addresses falsified, were living with coaches/boosters/staff, had academic eligibility issues and even had their bills paid and or money given to them for personal reasons on occasion, etc...all absolutely illegal and against the stated rules at every level of athletic competition...despite Martin's public claim that everyone on his team was legally registered and had been completely checked out.

Just a few examples:

•A star point guard, Steve Blake, who now plays for the Denver Nuggets, claimed to live with Joyce Lund, a Stingarees booster who owned a home a few blocks from Miami High. Blake actually lived with his family in Miami Lakes, an upscale suburb miles outside the school district.

•Another player, Udonis Haslem, who now plays for the Miami Heat, claimed to live with the team’s scorekeeper in a studio near Miami High. In truth, he lived with his father and stepmother in Miramar, Fla., in a different county.

•Forward Antonio Latimer, a 6-10 Puerto Rican, claimed to live in an apartment owned by a secretary in the Miami High athletic department. One-third of the team — an entire starting lineup — claimed to live with a school employee, a coach or a team booster.

And there were many more who didn't qualify on any legal level to even be playing at Miami High or even basketball anywhere in Florida due to any number of issues related to there time with Martin and his staff...again...from accepting money to scholastic eligibility to brushes with the law to the already mention falsifying of addresses and actual residential status.

From one of the reporters who started asking questions:

"That’s against the rules in Florida. My article came out just before the state playoffs that Miami High easily won. Almost as soon as Martin and his squad cut down the nets, the Florida High School Activities Association (FHSAA), the agency that oversees scholastic sports, launched its own investigation. It confirmed my findings and then some. Miami High was fined $2,500 and forced to reimburse more than $5,000 in expenses incurred during the FHSAA’s investigation. Five players, including Haslem and Blake, were barred from playing at Miami High again. Blake was actually banned from playing high school ball in Florida, and ended up transferring to Oak Hill in Virginia. Miami High was required to return the 1998 state championship trophy. Martin was fired, along with the school’s athletic director."

From the commissioner of the association who investigated Martin's program:

“This is one of the most, if not the most, blatant violations of FHSAA rules against recruiting that I have encountered in my seven years as commissioner of this association,” said Ron Davis when he handed down the penalties in August 1998.

So after all this and a stint at Northeastern as an assistant he gets an offer to join forces with the completely shady Bob Huggins and the issues with the rules and character continue. Martin was only at Cinci with Huggins at the very end of his run there...2004 through 2006...Huggins was fired for lack of character in 2005 related to constant issues with his players from a legal standpoint and the lowest graduation rate in the country...a DUI conviction didn't help matters either.

But the fact remains that the previous three years before Martin arrived and including the year Martin worked with Huggy Bear the Bearcats had a 0% graduation rate. Even at the time Huggins was forced to resign with Martin on staff they graduated no one and one of his players had been maintaining a 0.0 GPA, and another would have had a 0.0 if not for two incompletes. Now is this all somehow Martin's fault? Of course not but it certainly indicates that this staff and it's members needed some level of direct supervision or there's no telling what could have gone down.

So after being fired for lack of character...and a DUI arrest...Huggins gets the K-State Job and Frank follows him there. Again, is Frank responsible for everything Huggins did? of course not...but when you have the history he has and are a part of one of the most irresponsible staffs ever it doesn't seem unreasonable to have the athletic department feel the need to supervise him and hold him accountable when they deem it necessary.

I could keep going but please remember this all started with me asking why we should simply let Frank Martin do what ever he wants and somehow be outraged by the Athletic department at the University of South Carolina and/or Ray Tanner stepping in to address what they deem unacceptable behavior? Why would Frank be untouchable and our never been more successful athletic department be the one who is being questioned here?

Last edited by LBC; 03-12-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #430
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

sorry...double post
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #431
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

If Tanner fired Frank for cursing too much, then I wouldn't believe in him as an AD. It doesn't get said enough how insanely lucky we are to have Frank as the coach of our team. His record speaks for itself and he's a proven commodity. If we let him go, then we're back to hiring Darrin Horn's and patting them on the back because they keep the GPA of the team high and give lollipops to the players when they lose by 30.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #432
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
If Tanner fired Frank for cursing too much, then I wouldn't believe in him as an AD. It doesn't get said enough how insanely lucky we are to have Frank as the coach of our team. His record speaks for itself and he's a proven commodity. If we let him go, then we're back to hiring Darrin Horn's and patting them on the back because they keep the GPA of the team high and give lollipops to the players when they lose by 30.
Mrs. Martin, is that you?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:39 AM   #433
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:

Doubtful. He wont change, he also wont be fired.

And to those saying we wont get recruits, oh hey we got a commitment, and when asked why.... "Frank Martin"

for willy
Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 AM   #434
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurslfowens has earned his spurs

Let's let this one lie. It is history now and let's see how the future plays out. Hopefully very successful for the Gamecocks!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #435
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Weeks later and people still don't get it, it's not the cursing, it's calling kids MFers and such. I still can't figure out why people think it is cursing in general. It's simple stop calling kids MFers and Dumba55es
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #436
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I wanna see Frank Martin take his car in for a common repair- at a dealer. That would make for great TV. Seriously, "Frank Martin goes to..." would be an amazing show. I'd love to see him waiting in line at the Wendys on Assembly at lunchtime on a weekday.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #437
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
sorry...double post
Well until this illegal, immoral, person you portray rears his head you are barking up the wrong tree, the kids want to play for him, they love playing for him! It is not abusive, you do not have to worry about the kid and we won an SEC tourney game!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 AM   #438
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Weeks later and people still don't get it, it's not the cursing, it's calling kids MFers and such. I still can't figure out why people think it is cursing in general. It's simple stop calling kids MFers and Dumba55es
We understand what it is, it doesnt matter, you guys are way more butthurt than the kids. Stop trying to protect them from someone who is a good man

for willy
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #439
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Well until this illegal, immoral, person you portray rears his head you are barking up the wrong tree, the kids want to play for him, they love playing for him! It is not abusive, you do not have to worry about the kid and we won an SEC tourney game!
I'm not concerned about any kids. What they think or want. What they would do if they ran a multi-million dollar operation. I'm talking about the adults involved. Maybe that's why you're having so much trouble dealing with the actual facts and literal history. You don't even know what the issue is yet.

*And you may have noticed that we won, Notice had his best game ever as a Gamecock and at no time did Frank Martin need to scream at one of his players that he was a stupid MFing asshole while standing on the court in the Georgia Dome in front of the entire SEC during a major university sanctioned sporting event that was televised all over the country.

He was somehow able to coach them up, hold them accountable, get them to play hard, correct their mistakes and win the game all without embarrassing himself, team, family, players, University, etc.

Last edited by LBC; 03-13-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #440
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
We understand what it is, it doesnt matter, you guys are way more butthurt than the kids. Stop trying to protect them from someone who is a good man
No most people don't, read the comments, people are saying other are mad for cussing in general. But I really don't care at this point. No matter what "side" you are on it is/was a bad situation, period. At the end of the day everyone on here is a Gamecock and will support the players and the university.